Funny Turns

Mrs D

Nov 10, 2015
Hi my husband was diagnosed 2 years ago with Alzheimer's. However over the last few months he keeps having 'Funny Turns' where he goes light headed, gets a dull headache, feels sick and colour drains out of his face. He sits down for a few minutes and it wears off. This can happen a few times in a day for a few days then might not happen for a couple of weeks. Has anyone else got any experience of this or any idea of what is going on. Thank you.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Welcome to Talking Point. Im sorry your husband is having these problems.
Is there a reason why he cant see the GP?
There are many reasons why this might be happening and Im afraid that we arnt doctors on here - just fellow carers.

lemonjuice

Jun 15, 2016
England
Definitely worth checking out at the GPs.

Part of me is wondering if this could be vascular related as although initially diagnosed with Alzheimers it rapidly became clear Vascular Dementia was heavily indicated with my mother who had lots and lots 'of funny turns' which later on in the disease turned into episodes of unconsciousness, which the Dr suspected were min-TIAs and later full-blown seizures.

Mrs D

Nov 10, 2015

Part of me is wondering if this could be vascular related as although initially diagnosed with Alzheimers it rapidly became clear Vascular Dementia was heavily indicated with my mother who had lots and lots 'of funny turns' which later on in the disease turned into episodes of unconsciousness, which the Dr suspected were min-TIAs and later full-blown seizures.

Mrs D

Nov 10, 2015
Hi thanks for that. I must admit I am thinking along the same lines re possibly vascular as I know it is possible to have mixed dementia. Last time we were at the gp he said that he thought it could be stress and prescribed a mild anti depressant but to be honest I really dont think it is stress. Will need to go back though to try and get to the bottom of it.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
When OH had a tia he described it as ‘his head was disconnected from his body’. This sounds a bit like your OH. My husband had Alzheimer’s and vascular, it’s pretty common.

Amethyst59

Jul 3, 2017
Kent
Yup, could be vascular...my Oh has vascular...and has episodes as you have described. He has had some improvement changing his medication for high blood pressure. He used to take it in the morning, and now takes it at night. We have seen some improvement in these episodes, but they still happen occasionally.

Willow Tree

Jul 6, 2016
USA
Hi, Mrs. D--

Not sure, but you might be seeing the results of low blood pressure. My hubby has Parkinson's disease, which can cause the Autonomic Nervous System to dysfunction (the part of your brain/nervous system that controls breathing, heart rate, blood pressure, etc.). He has many of these "dizzy spells."

A good idea is to get a blood pressure cuff so you can check his blood pressure when these episodes happen. I've found the easiest to use are the "wrist cuff" type. You can get them, at least in the US, for less than $50. They are REALLY easy to use--just put on the wrist & push a button. The reading will readout in about a minute. The newer models have a memory function, so you'll have a record of the date/time & BP and heart rate reading to share with your doctor.

There are medications, pacemakers, and other alternatives the doctor can offer to help overcome this, if it is indeed a heartrate or blood pressure problem. Sometimes, it's just a simple issue like dehydration. Unfortunately, with Alzheimer's patients, they can't really tell you if they're thirsty or not. Sometimes, like their sense of smell, these functions don't "work" for them any more like they do for the rest of us, so they don't even realize they need some water or food.

I've found it's important to keep hubby hydrated (plenty of water, spaced through the day). When he gets dehydrated, the low blood pressure can be a problem (and sometimes it will even go too high, due to his disease). Cardiologist is aware of it all & guiding us.

We all know how scary these things can be & how powerless you can feel. But it does make you feel a little better when you can understand a bit more about what's going on (like seeing a blood pressure reading that's too low or too high). Doctor will help you, too, once they see the numbers. Hope this helps you; good luck!

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Hello Mrs D.
This sounds similar to what my dad was experiencing a while ago. Eventually it turned out that it was due to his blood pressure medication. He'd not been taking his meds properly so the GP had increased his blood pressure meds and when I went daily to ensure he was taking his meds his blood pressure dropped to the point that he actually passed out!!
Once we realised what it was, meds reduced, problem solved.

Could it be something like this?

Mrs D

Nov 10, 2015
Lots to think about here guys. My husband does suffer high blood pressure but medication is keeping it in check. I do have wrist blood pressure machine but unfortunately today it ran out of batteries (typical). However in the past I have checked his blood pressure when he has had one of hus turns and it has always been good.
Never thought about dehydration though and I must admit he doesnt drink a lot of water or even tea so definately going to make sure he gets more fluid in him.
Thank you all for your support it really is appreciated as it can be very lonely as I know you are all aware. Thanks again.

sajimjo

Jun 18, 2013
Staffordshire
Hi Mrs D, My partner started having funny turns over two years ago, although his symptoms were not quite the same as your OH. He would go weak, pale and shake sometimes, but blood pressure was fine. After several visits to GP with no diagnosis I videoed OH when affected. In due course he was in hospital for 10 days (of course at first no attacks!) eventually a consultant saw him and videoed OH. The diagnosis was epileptic fits, no meds given at first, our GP eventually prescribed something which helped. My partner has AZ, vascular dementia was not diagnosed initially. He then started having black outs due to low blood pressure!
Hope you get something sorted soon.

Willow Tree

Jul 6, 2016
USA
Lots to think about here guys. My husband does suffer high blood pressure but medication is keeping it in check. I do have wrist blood pressure machine but unfortunately today it ran out of batteries (typical). However in the past I have checked his blood pressure when he has had one of hus turns and it has always been good.
Never thought about dehydration though and I must admit he doesnt drink a lot of water or even tea so definately going to make sure he gets more fluid in him.
Thank you all for your support it really is appreciated as it can be very lonely as I know you are all aware. Thanks again.

You're very welcome! Talking Point is a WONDERFUL support network. Keep posting and wishing you a great day today. Keep heart!