Scared about the future

Molly64

Oct 8, 2017
Manchester
Hi everyone. Im new to TP. I am 53 yrs old and have been going to the GP on and off for the last 4 years about my memory but up to jan this year i was scoring 27 on the mini cog tests. However since then im finding it a real struggle to remember facts, songs, films etc that i know i know. Details of conversations or activities are foggy at best. Anyway because of my age, i think. Its taken me since January to get the GPs to take me seriously. At first it was your depressed and anxious take these antidepressants, which made me worse 10times worse. Then my GP literally laughed at me and said there is nothing wrong with your memory, however she did send me to see a psychiatrist who did more test and i have now got an MRI next week and bloods the following week. With a view to going to the memory clinic after that. So finally someone is taking me seriously. I know i dont have a formal diagnosis but ..... i just know. Anyway that me. Im glad iv found somewhere i can talk about things and how i feel as i haven't got any support as such. Iv 3 children but atm i carnt talk to them. Theres loads more but its a long post as it is so ill leave it there other than to say im scared about the future. Thanks for reading

HillyBilly

Dec 21, 2015
Ireland
Hi everyone. Im new to TP. I am 53 yrs old and have been going to the GP on and off for the last 4 years about my memory but up to jan this year i was scoring 27 on the mini cog tests. However since then im finding it a real struggle to remember facts, songs, films etc that i know i know. Details of conversations or activities are foggy at best. Anyway because of my age, i think. Its taken me since January to get the GPs to take me seriously. At first it was your depressed and anxious take these antidepressants, which made me worse 10times worse. Then my GP literally laughed at me and said there is nothing wrong with your memory, however she did send me to see a psychiatrist who did more test and i have now got an MRI next week and bloods the following week. With a view to going to the memory clinic after that. So finally someone is taking me seriously. I know i dont have a formal diagnosis but ..... i just know. Anyway that me. Im glad iv found somewhere i can talk about things and how i feel as i haven't got any support as such. Iv 3 children but atm i carnt talk to them. Theres loads more but its a long post as it is so ill leave it there other than to say im scared about the future. Thanks for reading

Hello @Molly64 , welcome to Talking Point.
Well done on your persistence with the medical profession and getting them to take your concerns seriously. Of course I hope that the tests in the next couple of weeks reveal some underlying benign cause of your problems. You must feel stressed and stress is itself a factor in memory problems. Good luck for them. Do keep posting here on TP - it's a great source of help, advice and support, whatever the topic.

Molly64

Oct 8, 2017
Manchester
Hello @Molly64 , welcome to Talking Point.
Well done on your persistence with the medical profession and getting them to take your concerns seriously. Of course I hope that the tests in the next couple of weeks reveal some underlying benign cause of your problems. You must feel stressed and stress is itself a factor in memory problems. Good luck for them. Do keep posting here on TP - it's a great source of help, advice and support, whatever the topic.

Molly64

Oct 8, 2017
Manchester

Hi hillybilly. Thanks for your response and yeah i will keep posting. Im just fumbling my way around the sight for now however it dose seem a good sight for anybody who is living with alzheimers in what ever capacity. Im having a crying day today but as i think i said in my 1st post i try not to burden my children and other than them i am pretty much alone with all this. I'm better in the week when i can take myself off to the gym or have the odd planned activities. Anyway I hope you are well and having a good day. Who is it you care for?

HillyBilly

Dec 21, 2015
Ireland
I don't know what ages your children are @Molly64 but it might be beneficial for you all if you were to talk to them about what's going on for you? You would probably advise them to talk to you about their worries after all.
Or, there is a helpline for the Alzheimer's Society, details here
https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/info/20012/helpline - they are even there on Sundays 10am-4pm!
If you're not ready for any of that, do keep posting here on TP. There is a chat facility, a weekly chat thread and the Tea Room for light-hearted stuff.

I was carer for my Mum, who had AZ. She passed away in June at the ripe old age of 80!

Molly64

Oct 8, 2017
Manchester
Im sorry to hear about your mum HillyBilly, please except my condolences.
My kids are 22, she lives with me she has autism. Another daughter 24 just. She lives with her boyfriend's family (shes the sensible reliable one) then theres my son 27 nearly who has a cocaine addition hes living with me atm as well.
I tried to get some support from the alzheimers society but with out a formal diagnosis alls they could tell me was what the process of diagnosis is and that it often takes a long time, other than that they couldnt help me. Thanks for the advice about the chats etc though

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello Molly64
just wanted to welcome you to TP as well
I can only imagine how scared you may be feeling right now - so I'm glad you have found TP and will be able to get off your chest anything that's bothering you - this is a wonderfully supportive community - sometimes family are not so easy to talk to, so have your say here, and pick your moment to have a chat with your children
it's good that the medics are checking you over carefully so hopefully will be able to make suggestions to help you with whatever they do, or don't, discover
do come back with an update
best wishes

Quenelise

Oct 7, 2017
Molly it sounds like you have a lot on your plate and now you are having to address this as well. How dare that GP laugh at you *hugs*
Ive found that TP has been so helpful and supportive when I felt alone and unable to talk to others. I'm sure you will too.

Molly64

Oct 8, 2017
Manchester
Thanks for your replies guy's im glad iv found TP. Im really tired now today iv done so much reading. Not sure how much ill retain though. Probably what i need to. Thanks again for your support

Molly64

Oct 8, 2017
Manchester
I thought i would update my post. I have now had the MRI scan which i had on the 27th of October. Thats 2 weeks tomorrow but from all accounts its not a quick turn round on results unless its something really serious, or so the quack :Dtells me. It seems AlZ is serious to me but not the medical professionals. o_O
Iv also had my bloods done which have come back fine except for the fact im low on folate so iv been put on folic acid since since the 7th, Tuesday i think.
When i went for the blood's the GP inadvertently gave me the report from the psychiatrist which had the ACEIII score in it. Which was 86, Dr Google is chatting that 88 is the cut of point so thats not looking great. When i first read it i went into a melt down and cried for 3 days but everyone keeps telling me to keep it in the day and that without the MRI results im no further on than i was before I read the report.
This might sound a bit weird but at times i do feel a lot more in touch with my feelings than i did and i do seem to appreciate things more. Like the way people speak and treat me or going to a firework display. which i really got into and i felt so emotional and grateful for that moment. For the colours and the uporic memories it brought back.. im turning into a soppy sausage:eek::p
On other issues iv had a bust up with my son. I did say he has drug problems :(.
Iv had to ask him to leave my home atm as he has done something i asked him not to than when i challenged him he tried to make out it was my memory that i had said it was ok. I forget a lot but strangely enough not that conversation.
Im supporting my daughter today with a medical procedure she has to have. I forget what its called its a camera both up and down. So Not pleasant. But im grateful that i can still be of some support to her. So till later. Hope you are all keeping as well as possible and wishing you all strength in keeping up the fight in whatever capacity that may be. Take care. :)

Last edited:

Quenelise

Oct 7, 2017
Hi Molly, just catching up in here myself. You must be feeling devastated re: your son. That is the height of disrespect, the way he treated you, and with what you are already going through, that would have been so hard *hugs *
I hope your daughter is OK. She's a lucky person by the sounds old it too have you as her mum.

Molly64

Oct 8, 2017
Manchester
Hi Molly, just catching up in here myself. You must be feeling devastated re: your son. That is the height of disrespect, the way he treated you, and with what you are already going through, that would have been so hard *hugs *
I hope your daughter is OK. She's a lucky person by the sounds old it too have you as her mum.
Hello. Nice to hear from you. I hope your ok?
Thanks for your words of encouragement. It is very difficult with my son. I worry about his terribly. Its nov its cold he has no base and hes so stressed out. but hes trying to find a house share atm. I doubt he will pass the credit checks but i still have my fingers crossed for him. My daughter had a tuff day with the procedures and has to go bk for another in 6 weeks as she has some scaring and an ulser on her osopa.. osopha.. i give up. Food pipe. We are having a bit of a struggle with social services as well as they said she was on a list for supported accommodation but her social worker has since left and now she dosnt have one and no one knows anything about a housing list. So thats annoying as my recall of the social worker's last visit is sketchy. Agggg bloody alz.
As for me im still playing the waiting game. Its 4 weeks today since the MRI so the results should be bk with the psychiatrist but alls my report says is that with said results i will be referred to the memory clinic. Not sure if i mentioned my bloods are bk and it shows nothing unusual other than low folate which i expected. I think im repeating myself now :rolleyes:.
I continue to plod on and ill update in the future. Thanks for taking the time to read. Good luck and stay well in whatever capacity you in regarding being in the grp. X