LA moving Mum

velocity

Feb 18, 2013
North Notts
I have applied for funding for Mum for her Care Home. I was very much on the dubious road to Carer Breakdown with Mum having challenging behaviour she has Mixed Dementia was stopped from going to Respite to a home because they could not cope with her behaviour so I looked towards the local EMI Home who are absolutely marvellous with her, using their expertise with distraction and other coping mechanisms. This also means she does not need Anti Psychotics. Now it has been said I did not ask permission or advice from the these people (when actually I did) but was informed we cannot help as Self Funding) they want to see if she can cope on her own. I have in no uncertain terms informed them she cannot, her Psychiatrist has said under no circumstances can she be left alone, but apparently as its not CHC funding 'The Panel' do not read or take into account medical intervention . Well she has not lived on her own for 13yrs and cannot boil a kettle, does not even put a light on when its dark doesn't sleep at night. The Care Home help her back to bed or she sits in the lounge or shadows them. She will also want to go outside as she doesn't know where she is probably not dressed (she used to try this banging on the windows when Mum was with us) and winter is coming she is 91yrs. Mum doesn't really understand what people are saying and can not make conversation. For the first time in her life at least the last 20yrs she is in a fairly good place mentally and physically now they want to disturb this, I have heard and known a person who this happened to. This is common practice as a way of removing from a Care Home and the District paying for assisted living and when it goes madly wrong the person ends up in hospital care placing them in a CH of their choice with 'top up'. She hasn't been able to take her own Medication for three and half years now and ended up in hospital as she did not take them properly She is going to have four Carer visits a day, apart from the cost she will be frightened she does not like people coming into her home. She didn't recognise me yesterday so she will even be frightened of me. She has settled so well in this Home it breaks my heart.
I am sorry for rambling but these people AArgh

BenJoseph

Oct 18, 2017
Hi velocity

I'm new on here, but feel for you. We had lots of issues convincing the LA that my Dad needed to go into a home. After 1 day in hospital they wanted to discharge him back to my mother (whom he had punched) the day before! Anyway, he has just gone into a home. I am sure there is an element here of putting up a bit of a fight and unknown yours (and your mothers) rights. We employed a care advocate who was amazing. I wont post her name on here, but if you can private message me I can let you know. She was not local, but she really helped as we were being massively fobbed off at times with ridiculous suggestions from either the social workers, hospital or mental health team. Anyway I wish you luck.

BenJoseph

HillyBilly

Dec 21, 2015
Ireland
Where is "home" for your Mum? Is it her own house?
If it is, I'm wondering if there's some way you could make the house ahem "unsuitable" for your Mum to return to? Didn't you mention that the electrics were very dodgy or was it that there was no heating/hot water? ;)

velocity

Feb 18, 2013
North Notts
Hi BenJoseph thanks for your reply I will private message

Thanks HillyBilly Mum lived with us for thirteen yrs she had challenging behaviour I just became worn out and yes it was not safe for her she is prone to falls. But because of great care recently not so many falls, but still very unsteady,balance not good, so SW x 2 conveniently think 'she's better' One of the Manager's actually said that.
Its difficult because I just can't manage her that's why I chose this Home for her. The guilt is bad enough without this,

velocity

Feb 18, 2013
North Notts
Hi velocity

I'm new on here, but feel for you. We had lots of issues convincing the LA that my Dad needed to go into a home. After 1 day in hospital they wanted to discharge him back to my mother (whom he had punched) the day before! Anyway, he has just gone into a home. I am sure there is an element here of putting up a bit of a fight and unknown yours (and your mothers) rights. We employed a care advocate who was amazing. I wont post her name on here, but if you can private message me I can let you know. She was not local, but she really helped as we were being massively fobbed off at times with ridiculous suggestions from either the social workers, hospital or mental health team. Anyway I wish you luck.

BenJoseph
Hi BenJoseph if you could pm me I would appreciate it. I haven't used this for a long time I'm not sure Ive done it correctly many thanks

HillyBilly

Dec 21, 2015
Ireland
Oh I see - so they want your Mum to return to living with you, in your home?
In that case, you can refuse outright.
If your Mum is self-funding then it's really up to you guys. Do you have H&W POA for your Mum?

velocity

Feb 18, 2013
North Notts
Oh I see - so they want your Mum to return to living with you, in your home?
In that case, you can refuse outright.
If your Mum is self-funding then it's really up to you guys. Do you have H&W POA for your Mum?
I have H&W I haven't explained al l yes self funding but now applying for funding.

HillyBilly

Dec 21, 2015
Ireland
Hi @velocity - am still a bit confused.
Your Mum has been self-funding but now her funds are running low? Is that the situation?
So she's having an LA Financial Assessment?
Is it that the home she's in is more expensive than the LA's weekly rate?
Who are "the people" who are saying you didn't ask their permission/advice (and for what)?

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Im afraid that Im not really clear about this either.
I was very much on the dubious road to Carer Breakdown with Mum having challenging behaviour she has Mixed Dementia was stopped from going to Respite to a home because they could not cope with her behaviour so I looked towards the local EMI Home who are absolutely marvellous with her, using their expertise with distraction and other coping mechanisms.
This seems to indicate that she had some respite care (fully funded) and after that she continued in the same EMI home. Yes? Now she has less than £24,000 so you are looking for Local Authority funding? Is this right?

If so, Im wondering how long she has been in the EMI home and whether you were aware that she would soon need funding when she went in there? Unfortunately, if it was very recently that she went into the EMI home then Social Services will indeed take the line that you should have worked with them to have her assessed before placing her. I also know that they like to have tried having carers come in 3 or 4 times a day before recommending a care home. Is this, in fact, the position that you are in?