Can NHS continuing care funding be moved to social continuing care?

Charliep

Feb 21, 2013
Kent
Can NHS continuing care funding be moved to social continuing care? even though I have been told by hospice nurse that my mother in law needs 24 nursing care?
We have Social Services care plan review this Tuesday.

Pete R

Jul 26, 2014
Staffs
Can NHS continuing care funding be moved to social continuing care? even though I have been told by hospice nurse that my mother in law needs 24 nursing care?
We have Social Services care plan review this Tuesday.
As far as I know there is no such thing.

If your MiL needs Nursing Care then if she fails the assessment for full CHC funding she will normally be awarded FNC funding which is £155.05/week which is paid directly to the NH.

You do have be careful with how the NH counts this as some take it off the overall fee where others do not include it in their pricing structure.

https://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/what-is-nhs-funded-nursing-care.aspx

:)

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Can NHS continuing care funding be moved to social continuing care?

I've never heard of social continuing care.
If you mean can CHC be awarded for care at home rather than in a home the answer is 'yes', it has an advantage that AA is retained.

There is no way that the CCG would fund 24 hour nursing care at home.
Diluting the phrase a bit my local hospice has a 'hospice at home' service which whilst not providing 24 hour on site cover does have a fast response team. I know of cases where the CCG has agreed this arrangement. It obviously depends on the needs of the individual person.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
@Charliep

Your entry in chat

Charliep said:
Hello, my mother in law Alzheimer's has progressed along with the disease she has COPD, lung cancer (comes under the Pilgrirms Hospice). She has been living at home with good caring support and is funded by NHS continuing care . My mother in law now needs to go into a care home , a nursing care home. Her care plan has been reviewed and there is talk that her continuing care will go from NHS to social which I understand social is dementia and not medical is this correct? If it is correct how can they say she needs 24 nursing care but move funding from medical (NHS) to social?
I hope someone can help. Thank you so much as any information will be helpful for this coming Tuesday Social Services care plan review.

explains your situation more fully.

It appears that your mother in law is currently receiving CHC at home, her condition has changed meaning she will have to go into residential care.

This means that the current care plan cannot be followed and a CHC assessment will have to be made, the result could be that she no longer qualifies for CHC.

Is it just an SS review on Tuesday or is it a CHC assessment?

Charliep

Feb 21, 2013
Kent
Is chc at home different than chc in a care home?
My husband mum has been told she'll need 24 hour nursing.
Reassessment has been done and Tuesday is outcome day

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Is chc at home different than chc in a care home?

Not really, it's just that the agreed care plan is for care at home.
Residential care is more usual though.

The one difference I've already mentioned is that funded residential care is treated as if it was a stay in hospital and certain benefits including Attendance Allowance are discontinued after 28 days.

Charliep

Feb 21, 2013
Kent
so there is a chance that even though the family have been advised to start looking for a care home with nursing care they funding may cease?

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
so there is a chance that even though the family have been advised to start looking for a care home with nursing care they funding may cease?

There is always that chance, it depends on how your MIL's medical needs have changed since the last CHC assessment.

There are many people in nursing homes that are either self funding or LA funded in accordance with their financial assessment.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Yes, unfortunately the fact that someone is in a nursing home does not mean that they are automatically fully CHC funded. They could be eligible for FNC or for nothing, but if they have assets under £23,250, Social Services would provide the funding (but including the person's pension).
CHC funding can cease at a review of care needs but if your mother already has it, it might just be adapted for care in a nursing home.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MonkeyFeet