My mom is sick

acramanda

Oct 19, 2017
Hi my name is Amanda and I joined this site a few days ago hoping that someone could relate to what my family has been going through...

My mom began having word finding difficulties in May 2013. My sister and my father didn't notice anything until about 6 months later. I finally convinced my dad to take her to get her thyroid, B12 checked, blood tests, etc. Everything came back normal. My mom has never worked or really exercised her brain much. I love her so much but she just has never really tried to learn anything or be very independent. She has never even pumped her own gas...Anyway as the years have gone on she has become more quiet and has been struggling to find words and express herself verbally.

She stopped cooking a few years ago, can't remember any of our birthdays, phone numbers, and has just pretty much quit caring about fixing herself up the way she used to like her hair and makeup...Last year she had an MRI which was normal and had another one a couple of weeks ago. This was was normal as well with age related changes..I think global atrophy. Anyway the neurologist said it was no significant finding. My mom is 62. We thought she might have some form of frontotemporal dementia but there was no atrophy in the frontal or temporal lobes..

So we are about 5 years in now and she has no short term memory loss, no major behavioral issues, isn't paranoid, doesn't wander or anything like that. She has no movement problems either..She is scheduled to see a neuropsychologist November 6. She did have an aunt that was mentally ill and most of my family is in denial about probable dementia and everything except my sister and myself. They all believe she has psychological issues. She began a low dose of Celexa for depression about 2 weeks ago. She had her hearing checked this week which was fine and her eyes Checked yesterday. She is getting bifocal glasses. Maybe this is part of the problem I don't know..I am 36 and am in the process of trying to have a baby. Every day I wake up nervous, sick to my stomach, I cry off and on all day..Basically miserable

I just don't know what to do because my sister and I end up arguing with my dad every day about it because he is in such denial. He says we have made her so nervous she can't answer anything we ask. I feel like my life is in shambles..I'm sorry I keep rambling I just have so much to explain. Anyway does anyone know what might be wrong with my mom and how do I go on with my life and not feel sorry for my dad? He does break down and cry about it all then just goes back into denial by the next day..We all live in the same town here in the United States but it's almost like my parents just sit in their house and won't leave because they don't want anyone to notice something might be wrong. It's beyond frustrating. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated...

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Hello @acramanda and welcome.

I'm sorry you are having so much worry about your mom's health. I think as we become adults and parents ourselves, it is natural in a way, to realise that our parents are now "the older generation", and that can take a bit of adjustment.

However, to be honest about it, everything seems to be being done to find out if your mom does in fact have some form of Dementia, or if something else is going on. She could be depressed, or her symptoms could be associated with the menopause. Anxiety about it, or about whether the family was watching her, waiting to see if she could remember what she was saying, etc. would surely not help.

If you can, I suggest you step back for a while, wait to see if your mom improves any on the medication, and wait to hear what the neuro psychologist has to say. It sounds as if her doctors are being thorough in their investigation, so I would try not to worry too much until you know what you're dealing with.

acramanda

Oct 19, 2017
Hello @acramanda and welcome.

I'm sorry you are having so much worry about your mom's health. I think as we become adults and parents ourselves, it is natural in a way, to realise that our parents are now "the older generation", and that can take a bit of adjustment.

However, to be honest about it, everything seems to be being done to find out if your mom does in fact have some form of Dementia, or if something else is going on. She could be depressed, or her symptoms could be associated with the menopause. Anxiety about it, or about whether the family was watching her, waiting to see if she could remember what she was saying, etc. would surely not help.

If you can, I suggest you step back for a while, wait to see if your mom improves any on the medication, and wait to hear what the neuro psychologist has to say. It sounds as if her doctors are being thorough in their investigation, so I would try not to worry too much until you know what you're dealing with.[/QUOTE

Thank you so much for your kind words. Yes it is hard getting older and realizing our parents are getting older as well. I have never dealt with change well and I guess this is one of those situations. I have tried to take a step back lately and hopefully we will get some answers at her next appointment. I appreciate you replying. Talking to anyone that night can relate to me through this helps...

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
@acramanda That's what Talking Point is here for. Do keep posting if you need to. Hopefully, the neuropsychologist will be able to shed some light on what the problem is. Not too much longer to wait for the appointment now.