Getting emotional

Wishful

Nov 28, 2014
I'm able to go out to a craft group at the local library for a couple of hours and my DH is ok with that. Yesterday I went to a local tourist place with my Carers Group and unfortunately, was out longer than planned. When I got home my husband just burst into tears. He says he doesn't know why and it took me a few minutes to calm him down.

I've also noticed he gets quite emotional when watching TV but nothing like yesterday.

Is this a 'normal' part of dementia? He does have complex neurological issues.

Wishful

Nov 28, 2014
I think it is "normal", but your husband's GP could try to define if any depressing factors are at work in his being so emotional
Thank you for your post. We're due to see the neurologist at the end of the month. I'll put it on the list to discuss.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello @Wishful

I used to attend a relatives support group and my husband refused to come with me. It lasted two hours plus travel time.

At first he was fine when left alone. Anything rather than come with me. After a while, he was opening the front door as soon as I got to the gate and I wondered how long he'd been standing at the window looking for me.

Then after I`d been in the kitchen, just to make a drink, he began to greet me as if I`d been out all day .

He had lost all sense of time and was beginning to be afraid of being alone.

Around the same time he became really emotional when listening to certain pieces of music and asked me to stop playing them.

Its a slow and painful development and very hard to watch.

Loopiloo

May 10, 2010
Scotland
My husband also went through this emotional stage- although at the time I did not realise it was a 'stage' of dementia. It did eventually ease although never completely ended. The times when it happened became less often and less intense. It is so upsetting for them and extremely painful to see them like that, feeling helpless to ease their emotional pain.

The need to have me constantly with him came afterwards, and eventually I could no longer leave him alone even for a very short necessary going out -and he didn't want to come. I felt this was a deeply upsetting time for him - so confused, anxious and afraid.

We seem to become the only 'certainty' in their life. Their only security in all the inner confusion they must be experiencing.

Thinking of you
Loo x

Wishful

Nov 28, 2014
Thank you for your replies.

Loo, I think you've summed it up perfectly. My DH seems much better this morning but had a really bad night.

sajimjo

Jun 18, 2013
Staffordshire
Hi Wishful, My partner also gets very emotional and tearful, although he has not been so bad recently, whether I am just coping better I don't know. He has always tended to be emotional, can even cry at a funeral of someone he does not know! I know sometimes it is because he is worried about me, I do try to reassure him I am OK and happy to look after him. TV programs like DIY SOS always made him cry. I can appreciate if they are feeling low that it does not take much to breakdown. It requires a lot of time, patience and sympathy which is hard at times but I am lucky that he is quiet, not too agitated, no verbal or physical abuse, usually complies with my requests. I can't leave him on his own anymore. If I am out of sight for even a few minutes sometimes he says "I'm glad you are here", although he doesn't want me for anything.
A peaceful night to you all xx.

Wishful

Nov 28, 2014
Hi Wishful, My partner also gets very emotional and tearful, although he has not been so bad recently, whether I am just coping better I don't know. He has always tended to be emotional, can even cry at a funeral of someone he does not know! I know sometimes it is because he is worried about me, I do try to reassure him I am OK and happy to look after him. TV programs like DIY SOS always made him cry. I can appreciate if they are feeling low that it does not take much to breakdown. It requires a lot of time, patience and sympathy which is hard at times but I am lucky that he is quiet, not too agitated, no verbal or physical abuse, usually complies with my requests. I can't leave him on his own anymore. If I am out of sight for even a few minutes sometimes he says "I'm glad you are here", although he doesn't want me for anything.
A peaceful night to you all xx.

Yes my husband cries at DIY SOS as well .

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pescobar