Going away

Scouts girl

Jan 18, 2017
My mum is on end of life care in a lovely care home and being very well cared for. I visit her every day as I don't know how much longer she will be with us. Some days she is quite alert and others very sleepy.
My dilemma is my husband has booked a few days away for us this weekend but I am so worried about going away at this time and leaving her in case the worse happens and I won't be with her. I'm know I am being over concerned and do need this break away and the carers have said they will take good care of her in my absence. My husband needs this break as much as I do as he has been my rock these past months. Why can't I just be okay about going, as I will only be 3 hours away if needed. This awful illness just totally absorbs me but I just want to spend as much time as I can now with my mum. I know that I must have this break and can ring the home each day, but I still feel guilty about being away at this time. Why can't I just let go a little?

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello @Scouts girl

My mother was with my father every minute of the day and he died at 2am when she was at home.

My son and I were with my husband all day when he was at end of life. We went home for a bath and change of clothes and he died at 9pm.

Many many people have told how many hours they sat at bedsides only for the person they cared for to die during a brief absence.

If you are able to accept your mother may pass away without you, whether you are home or away, you may be able to take this short break without fear.

I can tell how much you and your husband need this break but the final decision can only be yours. You will have the rest of your lives for breaks.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Would it help if you arranged with the CH that they phone you in the event of a serious downturn? These things are hard to judge and your own needs do have to be taken into account. However, like Grannie G, I have experience of leaving a bedside for a short break and then not being there when a loved one passed away.

Last edited:

lemonjuice

Jun 15, 2016
England
My mum is on end of life care in a lovely care home and being very well cared for. I visit her every day as I don't know how much longer she will be with us. Some days she is quite alert and others very sleepy.
My dilemma is my husband has booked a few days away for us this weekend but I am so worried about going away at this time and leaving her in case the worse happens and I won't be with her. I'm know I am being over concerned and do need this break away and the carers have said they will take good care of her in my absence. My husband needs this break as much as I do as he has been my rock these past months. Why can't I just be okay about going, as I will only be 3 hours away if needed. This awful illness just totally absorbs me but I just want to spend as much time as I can now with my mum. I know that I must have this break and can ring the home each day, but I still feel guilty about being away at this time. Why can't I just let go a little?

Can I just reassure you that I had this difficult decision only just over a fortnight ago.
I sympathise with all you say
'so worried about going away at this time and leaving her in case the worse happens',
'I know I am being over concerned and do need this break away',
Why can't I just be okay about going, as I will only be 3 hours away if needed,
This awful illness just totally absorbs me but I just want to spend as much time as I can now with my mum,
but I still feel guilty'

I can't say I completely relaxed over the holiday, but my husband did and it was him who needed it most, as in your case.

As others have said I'd heard/read that often people keep vigil for hours and leave for a short while and their LO passes in their absence.

My husband needed a holiday after undergoing some cancer treatment and the family encouraged us to book it and just go.

So I made all arrangements I could and we went.

I informed the Home not to leave any message on my answerphone but to phone my mobile, informed them of which funeral directors to contact should it be necessary, got all her birth/ marriage certificates etc. together in a folder for my sons should they need to register a death. (I even had her bowling uniform hung up ready to take for her to be buried in. :oops:)

I sat by her bedside before I went and in fact because I'd made up my mind after last month's emergency, the 10th this year since February :eek: that I would no longer 'keep vigil' the next time something happened and even though she may not have understood I did tell her of that decision. Black humour taking over, I even referred to it as "I think you've had enough dress rehearsals now" ;) Although I would visit again just for short visits, I would not sit 'in vigil' again.

We had a blip on the last day of the holiday when I had a missed call, obviously had been out of range of a signal, only to find it was 'my usual Friday check-in call' :rolleyes: o_O

Even if she had died over the holiday I'd sort of got my head in the right place, to realise I didn't want another lot of hours of listening to her struggling to breathe and that she wouldn't have wanted to put me through it either if she'd been in her right mind.

In case you hadn't read, she did die this weekend over a week after our return and I did miss her 'final breath'.

The Staff nurse warned me she'd started the Cheyne-Strokes breathing and '"It was probably going to be today", so offered to come with me.
On arriving at her room, she looked deathly pale and her mouth was open as though just going to take the next breath. I kissed her and stroked her cheek and then the nurse asked if she 'could just check her breathing' and then whispered 'She's gone'. It was probably less than 5 minutes since she'd simply stopped breathing. so I was there at the end, but without having the stress and strain of watching those final hours of struggle and I as so grateful to my mother for that.

I do believe in God and thank him immensely for the incredible grace at the end.
I trust yours will be similar and you can get to enjoy that holiday.

Devon belle

Oct 12, 2017
East Devon
My mom died at 1.20 am on Tuesday morning in the tender care of her care home manager.I was told she may linger on until later on in the day late on Monday evening but she had really already gone from me and there was nothing more I could do for her .I know she passed in her own room with a kind person who had looked after her for 18months and who had become part of her new life and even the care home cat ( who she loved dearly ) said his good bye so don't worry about not being there if your mom should pass while you have a much deserved break ,you have given her all you can ,thinking of you

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
I sat and stayed the whole time with my dad for virtually 6 days, I know people say the person waits for their loved one to leave the room before passing away, not sure of that ...Dad had plenty of opportunity when I nipped to the loo, local shop etc then back to his nursing home. Dad was determined right to the end however I left his NH for a couple of hours to have a birthday supper with hubby, had just sat down to eat and had the phone call. I wished I had stayed but equally it could have happened in the few minutes going to the loo, he had a nurse with him, I went straight back in within half an hour and spent time with him. You can't plan these timings. I had plenty of time in the previous 6 days to chat, stroke, care, say goodbye, have the last rites read etc. I would say go for your break, what will be will be whether you are there or in the loo! Or away for a few days!

Scouts girl

Jan 18, 2017
Thank you for your replies and send my heartfelt sympathies to you for your losses of your loved ones. I did have a lovely few days break away even though not completely relaxed. Thankfully mum is still with us but have just posted a thread regarding her upset and anguish yesterday after my visit to her.