Can I ... Should I?

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Hello :)

I’m relieved at the lack of damage, it could have been so much worse, although the costs are high for buildings, the cost in lives is what matters

Although I’ve been to work, cooked a pudding (unusual for me), it been a fairly relaxing day. We’ve had a few tantrums (Mum), but more laughs & hugs, so overall, I’d give it an 8/10 :D

rosy18

Jul 23, 2016
Blackpool
Good to hear everyone survived the bad weather.
Managed to get Mum out for singing ing for the brain Mon and Tues mornings so I had my weekly fix of a bit of eye candy at the fire station
We did a session when the memory walk was taking place and one of the volunteers filmed it. It was great to see everyone enjoying themselves singing and dancing. The volunteer then made up Cd'S for everyone which is a lovely keepsake especially for me as singing and music seems to be the only thing that inspires Mum anymore and watching her enjoy herself is priceless. We paid £5 for the CD and that money is going to alzheimers. I bought 4 they will do as little extra Xmas presents for my cousins that come to visit Mum.
The downside to the singing is on our return home it takes me several minutes to get Mum out of the car and into our house as she's adamant it's not our home. It then takes me several minutes to settle her and ease the anxiety give her some lunch (quarter of a sandwich) and then her trazadone which then relaxes her thankfully.
Mum has been having a few bouts of aggression lately I was hoping those days had gone so I'm keeping my fingers crossed it's just a blip
A lot of it is at toilet time and tablet time neither of which Mum is happy with at present but hey Ho we'll get through it. Yes Sam the knickers are still a major problem. Poor Mums determined they are staying up !!
Your so right Sam and Dollybird we must live this journey in the present. Mum can't remember what happened 10mins before and has no idea about tomorrow so it's all about here and now
So Ladies on that note I had better try and get Mum to the loo she's started to fidget a sure sign. Wish me luck with the knickers, yesterday afternoon involved 4 trips to the loo before Mum finally decided they needed to be pulled down:eek:

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
Evening all,

Sorry to hear about the tantrums Sam (((hugs))), hope that today has been free of them.

Rosy, the CD of the singing session sounds great but I'm sorry that the sessions come at the cost of increased maternal anxiety :( It seems that the knicker issue is perennial for you - I don't suppose your mum would consent to crotchless ones? :eek:

Mum was quiet again and not responding much - we got a very faint smile and that was all. I was told she had eaten a good lunch + pud but she didn't want a drink and I didn't offer chocolate as I thought she was too sleepy. It looks as if this is our new norm now.

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Hi @rosy18

Yay, you got eye candy, more details, I’ve not seen any for a while :(, I only see through you these days :rolleyes: That’s really nice, getting a CD as a keepsake, something you can treasure & maybe your mum can watch with you. Please make a copy & put it somewhere safe ;)

I hope the aggression is a blip & passes very soon. You don’t need that in the mix o_O

Good luck with the knicker war, may your victory be sure n quick

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Hi @Slugsta

Tantrums have been nil so far, thankfully, however Mum decided to take herself off to town on the bus today. I didn’t try to dissuade her as she was “in that frame of mind” & it would have been a full on war :rolleyes: I monitored until she returned & she was tired out by the trip. :rolleyes:

Oh err, crotchhless knicks :eek: What a thought :cool: :p, you did make me laugh though :D

Good that your mum has eaten, although the lack of drinking is not so good, maybe next time she will enjoy chocolate & a few sips, hope so

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
As Mum decided to go out, I had a chance to sort a few bits without the never ending “can I help?” I know she means well, but how I stop myself from handing her the drill & telling her to get in with it ... ;)

Anyway, as always, it meant finding missing things, I’ve yet to find the small step, I gave up and stood on a pack of dog food instead :p

I needed to empty out a few shelves so as not to fill the contents with dust ... there must have been 8 packs of tissues, along with 10 or 12 small packs, who knows how many light bulbs, wadges of plasters, dressings, air fresher refills etc etc. I don’t know how she got so much in the shelves. Well I do, she just kept pushing lol

I managed to put up one lousy shelf :( It does wind me up that I spend more time hunting for things than doing, but at least I got one thing done.

rosy18

Jul 23, 2016
Blackpool
Thank goodness for the dog food lol.
Yes I have to admit some of the firemen you see there are really very attractive or is it the uniform thing or the job they do so remarkably well or is it just that it's the only time I go out when we go to singing that's making these firemen look very very tasty

Hope your Mum was ok on her solo journey at least you got some time to get things done.

Mum did 2 strange things today which she hasn't done before one was standing in front of the hall mirror having a proper conversation with herself before she has just waved at the mirrors in the house and then secondly was she held an imaginary phone to her ear and had a conversation just so weird to watch:eek::eek:

Slugsta at least your Mum's eating well the fluids can be a problem can't they, I feel like a robot sometimes keep saying to Mum to have a drink.Hope she's back on the chocolate next time.

Crotchless knickers:rolleyes: don't think Mum would go for those somehow but how easier my life would be with them:confused: made me giggle though

Been a lovely mild day today so hope we have the same tomorrow
My dreaded flu jab tomorrow am Sam feel such a wimp with my dislike of needles:( and then dentist pm. What a fun day
Hope everybody else is having a much more pleasant day if possible

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Hi @rosy18

I do wonder if it’s seeing so few men, or if my standards have dropped or if there just are some hunks around when I do get out :D

I worry when Mum goes solo, she came back very tired this time, so I’m going to have to find a way to stop this. She may want to be independent, but she dint be able to if she breaks something :(

I have heard of others having conversations with mirrors, they no longer recognise themselves so think it’s someone else :( So long as she’s not scared, that’s when covering them up is needed

Now I know you can be very brave, so I want you to buy a lollipop & reward yourself after your jab :D

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Late night musing ... as I do :rolleyes:

When mums finally gone to bed, I clear away & lock everything up, then I get a nightcap & sit quietly & read some of the recent posts

If someone has no replies, especially if it’s a late night post, a newbie, someone distressed, I want to say something. Even if it’s just that someone (anyone) is listening

I’m early on the journey, mums still early stages, fairly independent, not so bad. She can’t cook, so she’d starve without something in place, she gets anxious & that leads to tantrums etc, so I guess I’m keeping the peace & quietening the anxiety. But seriously. Who do I think I am, that little old me, with only a few years under my belt could help anyone?

But. Then I think of my first post. I did it for me. I needed to vent. I needed to get it out there. I couldn’t tell anyone real. So I did it here. In private.

It didn’t matter what the first replies were, it only mattered that someone said it was ok.

Maybe I just want someone else to know, it’s ok o_O

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
@Sam Luvit And that is exactly the beauty of Talking point, and why it works. It's made up of people at all stages along the long, hard road of Dementia, helping each other along. From those who just started on the road, to those who have reached the end, we are all there, to hold each other's hands in the dark, and say "it's ok. we're here too. As long as we all hold hands, none of us will fall." xx

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
Afternoon all,

Sam, I have seen many of your posts. Even when you have not been in a similar situation, you still have a valuable mixture of empathy and common sense - so don't knock yerself missus! :)

Lady A, I suppose I did get a reward eventually as it was a Friday and that is our treat evening (nothing mucky :D ).

Saw my TM today, as usual, and spent a couple of hours chatting and laughing :)

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Oh thanks @Slugsta :oops:, I guess I’ve had a varied life, abroad, boarding school, lots of places in the UK, so many different industries with work (contracting), that I’ve seen a fair few things in my young life :D

So TM is feeling better :) That’s nice ;) There’s something so relaxing about chatting about nothing with someone who wants to chat about nothing :rolleyes:

rosy18

Jul 23, 2016
Blackpool
Sam your post always have a lot of common sense and understanding with a little wit always welcome on this journey,
I too like LadyA's comment of us all holding hands....a very comforting thought.
Could have done with somebody to hold my hand today as I went for my flu jab only to be told that I wasn't on the list. I then produced my little appointment slip that the GP had given me so then the receptionist said there had been a couple of cancellations and thought my name had been crossed off by mistake:eek: so she told me to sit down and she would fit me in. The flu clinic was full so 20mins later I had to go and say couldn't wait any longer as Mums carer would be leaving so now I'm booked in again for tomorrow :eek::( so action replay tomorrow morning.
Went to the dentist and hygenist:mad: which I loathe, don't mind the dentist but the hygienist uggh
Anyway thankfully all's well
Mum had done a lot of pacing whilst I was out with the support of the carer 3 trips to the loo then refusing to go I don't know how she's holding it in or why ,even if she's forgetting why we've gone to the toilet the need for a wee will be there, such a strange spell we are having:eek:
Just thinking a TM like what Slugsta has would have been great today to hold my hand...and make me laugh whilst at the doctors and dentist.
Had my fruit pastilles LadyA yummy.
How's the CV coming along Sam?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anne Paterson