Frequent falls

Kawasaki

Oct 4, 2017
My dad has been in CH for 2 years, and settled well. He is profoundly deaf (due to his work years ago) but cannot wear hearing aids. Other then AD, he has been pretty healthy. After the first fall, where he had a huge bump on his head, hospital sent him back to CH, they sent him back to hospital a few hours later & he was then found to have pneumonia. He recovered after a week & went back to CH

Since then he has deteriorated a lot in a short space of time, becoming very thin & much more unsteady on his feet. Last week, he fell out of bed & had a suspected broken hip. X-ray & CT ruled this out so he was sent back to CH. They weren't happy so local doctor took blood tests which signposted a further chest infection, so he went on antibiotics. After little interest in food & drink he is now drinking shakes & a little juice, so has rallied a bit.

Today he fell out of bed again (rails are far to much of a risk as he is likely to try to get over them & do worse damage to himself) - there is a crash pad by the bed but he managed to fall between it & the bed (we are one awkward family!). Another trip to hospital where X-rays & CT scan revealed his chest infection has totally gone, his bloodwork is good & there are no other injuries except the broken & split nose & a cut over his eye. He was patched up & again sent back to CH.

CH opinion is he is having little TIAs causing the falls & deterioration, when I asked the doctor about it at hospital each time they say it's all part of AD and I should just expect more trips to hospital. CH also say they don't expect Dad will ever be mobile again ( he used to shuffle round unaided & was fine as long as he was kept on one level, as his spatial awareness on change of level is not good).

After all that rambling I guess I want to ask if the hospital is right re increasing frequency of hospital visits being normal for this? It's making me afraid to answer the phone & I'm so worried about him

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
My dad has been in CH for 2 years, and settled well. He is profoundly deaf (due to his work years ago) but cannot wear hearing aids. Other then AD, he has been pretty healthy. After the first fall, where he had a huge bump on his head, hospital sent him back to CH, they sent him back to hospital a few hours later & he was then found to have pneumonia. He recovered after a week & went back to CH

Since then he has deteriorated a lot in a short space of time, becoming very thin & much more unsteady on his feet. Last week, he fell out of bed & had a suspected broken hip. X-ray & CT ruled this out so he was sent back to CH. They weren't happy so local doctor took blood tests which signposted a further chest infection, so he went on antibiotics. After little interest in food & drink he is now drinking shakes & a little juice, so has rallied a bit.

Today he fell out of bed again (rails are far to much of a risk as he is likely to try to get over them & do worse damage to himself) - there is a crash pad by the bed but he managed to fall between it & the bed (we are one awkward family!). Another trip to hospital where X-rays & CT scan revealed his chest infection has totally gone, his bloodwork is good & there are no other injuries except the broken & split nose & a cut over his eye. He was patched up & again sent back to CH.

CH opinion is he is having little TIAs causing the falls & deterioration, when I asked the doctor about it at hospital each time they say it's all part of AD and I should just expect more trips to hospital. CH also say they don't expect Dad will ever be mobile again ( he used to shuffle round unaided & was fine as long as he was kept on one level, as his spatial awareness on change of level is not good).

After all that rambling I guess I want to ask if the hospital is right re increasing frequency of hospital visits being normal for this? It's making me afraid to answer the phone & I'm so worried about him
Sad though this is I suppose it is what would be called a managed decline. He has falls but they are investigated and acted upon. He will have more falls, more treatment, more worry for you but he is being taken care of and that’s probably the best you can hope for at this stage.

Not great but how it is.

Moggymad

May 12, 2017
Hi @Kawasaki i wonder if a different rail could be used like the small ones provided by Occupational Therapy used to help pull yourself up from lying down. It's way too risky falling out of bed, crash mats just alert carers after the fall.

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
Hi @Kawasaki i wonder if a different rail could be used like the small ones provided by Occupational Therapy used to help pull yourself up from lying down. It's way too risky falling out of bed, crash mats just alert carers after the fall.
I think you mean pressure alarm mats which are thin and not padded, Dad had crash mats and they are quite thickly padded similar to ones you would find for children doing gymnastics so would definitely help to break his fall.

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
Dad started to have regular falls in his nursing home as he declined, fortunately no broken bones but because he didn't put his hands down first, his poor face always took the brunt and I made many trips to A and E. Almost impossible to prevent even with precautions and watchful staff.

Moggymad

May 12, 2017
I think you mean pressure alarm mats which are thin and not padded, Dad had crash mats and they are quite thickly padded similar to ones you would find for children doing gymnastics so would definitely help to break his fall.

Yes thanks @love.dad.but.. that's what I had been thinking. It's a big worry isn't it. My mum has had frequent falls resulting in broken wrist twice, & broken hand. Black eyes, badly bruised legs,it really knocked her confidence. The hospital said you can get pads to protect the hips. Unfortunately I know mum would remove them otherwise would definitely have looked at what was available.

Kawasaki

Oct 4, 2017
Thanks for the replies/advice & sorry I haven't been in to say thanks sooner. Unfortunately Dad passed away this morning.

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
Kawasaki, I'm so sorry to hear your news. Please accept my condolences on the passing of your father. I will be thinking of you and your family.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
such sad news Kawasaki
much sympathy - and wishing you comfort and strength for the time ahead

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
Am so sorry to hear but know that you did everything you could to keep him safe looked after and comfortable until the very last.