There are times that I feel resentful

john1939

Sep 21, 2017
Newtownabbey
Hello, As time passes and my wife's Alzheimers slowly progresses, I find myself taking responsibility for every aspect of her life. Gone are the days when we both had our areas of responsibility. Most times she is surly and confrontational with no idea of what an amount of things myself and my two daughters do for her. All she can think about is what she wants and what she thinks she is entitled to. Even our ancient cat seems to resent me even though I feed it and clean up after it. Like a treadmill with no escape.I somtimes resent all this, but what else is there?

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
(((((((((((((hugs))))))))))) john
Im still wearing the worn-out T-shirt!
When people think of dementia they think of a sweet, docile old lady who is forgetful and a bit "dotty". Ha! The reality is so different. My OH is also reduced down to like/dont like and want/dont want with no concept of anything else. I am not even on his brains radar! I know that it is the disease, not him, but it doesnt always make it easier, does it? Im 60, my OH is 62 (though he looks like he is 80), so we should both be still working and planning our retirement together, but instead, he is disabled and Im getting Carers Allowance and there is no "our" anymore :(
Mourning for the loss of our loved one, the loss of retirement plans, the loss of our freedom and old life is, unfortunately par for the course. Its called ambiguous grief and anger/resentment is part of grief.

Sorry I have no practical advice, but wanted to say that I understand

Moggymad

May 12, 2017
Even our ancient cat seems to resent me even though I feed it and clean up after it. Like a treadmill with no escape.I somtimes resent all this, but what else is there?

John I do sympathise. However you still have your sense of humour I notice from other postings. Long may that continue. BTW old cats like old people get grumpy too! Dementia affects everyone in the household including pets. Cats especially do not like changes in routine. It's a mad world - keep posting

father ted

Aug 16, 2010
London
John 1939,
You sound so worn down by it all and yes it is like a treadmill. I am glad that you have the support of your daughters. Do they live near you? If they aren't too busy with families of their own or young children could they possibly offer up some regular time so you an actually leave the house and meet up with friends/ retired work colleagues/ or to join a carers group or something?

You may feel your daughters do enough already so maybe a befriender or carer for your wife? I only say this because I find the only way I can completely relax is when I am out of the house and I can't see or hear my mother? Which sound awful but is the truth.

I also think that caring for a partner with dementia is probably harder emotionally than caring for a parent. My Mum is old and altho I hate that she has it and so does she until they find a cure it goes with the territory of being the older generation. When it is your life partner with whom you have a life history and had a relationship of mutual support ( if it was a happy marriage) weathering life's various storms it is much harder. You are suddenly cut adrift on a stormy sea and the one person you once relied on as your support is busy making a whole in the boat.

There are no answers but please try to find a way to get a break. It will set you up to deal with the on going drudgery.

Loopiloo

May 10, 2010
Scotland
@john1939. @canary.Oh canary, how appropriate are your words and also those of John. My husband was 61 when he had a stroke, not too severe and a reasonably goodish physical recovery. But mentally affected, just mild memory problems to begin with. But little did I realise that the personality changes, initially also not too bad (but a shock at the time) were the very earliest signs of what was to come -vascular dementia.

It is difficult, from beginning to end, but as it progressed and as dementia took over our lives and became almost all consuming, those feelings you each describe were no longer uppermost. Because the 'now' of dementia was so demanding. Also everything associated with it that has to be dealt with. There was no time to dwell on all that had been lost. As you say, canary, " the 'our' gone.

I'm not expressing myself very well. But I do empathise. My husband was the most unselfish person but dementia can turn them into the opposite, which you each express so well. Totally consumed by self and totally lacking in thought for others. Mood swings, verbal abuse etc. All due to this horrible disease but it is very hard for carers.

When my husband went into a care home after over 10 years at home with me, there were numerous different scenarios. Also a positive as some of what he once was did come back - from time to time. He remained there for the last five years of his life. (died June last year). Some of our best times living with dementia were during that time. Not continuously, but those glimpses of the man he had been were precious and this did help me realise that it is the dementia and not the person being so difficult, so demanding, so changed.

The pressure of caring at home is enormous. You are still living together but a different life and we are only human. We feel resentment, anger and much more that has robbed both our lives. A lot of people on TP will identify and empathise.

I miss my husband terribly and it is the man he was I think about rather than the one he became. Even although the bad times still rear their ugly heads. But I will not allow dementia to destroy what was for most of our life together, our real life; the memories.

I am sorry, I have written too much and none of it will be of any help or comfort to you, John and canary. My heart went out to each of you as I read your posts, and remembered how it was... Not that those dreadful times with dementia can be totally eradicated from one's mind. The end part of a life shared for many years. But in a way I am still fighting dementia, refusing to allow it to also destroy memories of our time together before it caused such destruction.

Discovering TP 7 years ago saved my sanity and helped in many ways beyond words. Being with the only people who truly do know what dementia is, what it does... I hope you also can find some comfort here.

In my thoughts
Loo xx

Last edited:

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
I empathise with you John.

My wife sounds very similar. However, I discovered that she was very willing to help around the house even though she would never think of doing things herself or even notice what I was doing. For me, the key was to ask/tell her to do something and I find she jumps into action and seems to get great joy out of still being able to contribute. I can't trust her with much because of her confusion but every little helps, eh.

I only mention this because it works for me and you may think it's worth a try. Good luck to you.

Molly1

Oct 2, 2017
I empathise with you John.

My wife sounds very similar. However, I discovered that she was very willing to help around the house even though she would never think of doing things herself or even notice what I was doing. For me, the key was to ask/tell her to do something and I find she jumps into action and seems to get great joy out of still being able to contribute. I can't trust her with much because of her confusion but every little helps, eh.

I only mention this because it works for me and you may think it's worth a try. Good luck to you.
P

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi @Molly1
welcome to TP
looks as though you tried to post a reply to this thread
rather than pressing 'reply to member', which then opens your reply with a quotation,
maybe just type text into the empty text box at the bottom of the posts (will have your avatar icon to its left) and then press the blue Post Reply button at bottom right
good luck

BMitchell

Sep 28, 2017
@john1939 Sorry to hear about the pressure and resentment that has been creeping in John. It's a part of the process it seems, and its an obstacle that you will work your way through in due time. As someone pointed out, hold on to that humorous spirit you have and it will surely help guide you and your family through. I hope the cat comes around as well :)

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
When it is your life partner with whom you have a life history and had a relationship of mutual support ( if it was a happy marriage) weathering life's various storms it is much harder. You are suddenly cut adrift on a stormy sea and the one person you once relied on as your support is busy making a whole in the boat.

Father Ted, that is a very powerful analogy!

John, I think it is perfectly natural to feel resentment at times, you are only human! Please try not to beat yourself up over it, you really have no cause to do so.

john1939

Sep 21, 2017
Newtownabbey
John 1939,
You sound so worn down by it all and yes it is like a treadmill. I am glad that you have the support of your daughters. Do they live near you? If they aren't too busy with families of their own or young children could they possibly offer up some regular time so you an actually leave the house and meet up with friends/ retired work colleagues/ or to join a carers group or something?

You may feel your daughters do enough already so maybe a befriender or carer for your wife? I only say this because I find the only way I can completely relax is when I am out of the house and I can't see or hear my mother? Which sound awful but is the truth.

I also think that caring for a partner with dementia is probably harder emotionally than caring for a parent. My Mum is old and altho I hate that she has it and so does she until they find a cure it goes with the territory of being the older generation. When it is your life partner with whom you have a life history and had a relationship of mutual support ( if it was a happy marriage) weathering life's various storms it is much harder. You are suddenly cut adrift on a stormy sea and the one person you once relied on as your support is busy making a whole in the boat.

There are no answers but please try to find a way to get a break. It will set you up to deal with the on going drudgery.
Hi Father Ted, here is my confession for today. Yesterday I felt like committing a homicide, I won't say against whom.They are female, a close family member with a mental affliction, ok. I rummaged in the medicine cabinet and found a 2mg Vallium which calmed me down. Impure thoughts? not for about 20 years. Drink? no drink for about 25 years, due to medical condition. Well that's about it, so go easy on me please as I am a bit fragile at the minute. My wife sometimes resembles a female version of Father Jack without the drink. Regards.

father ted

Aug 16, 2010
London
John 1939,

I prescribe 3 Hail Marys! Better still 3 Bloody Mary's- no hold on just read about medical condition and Valium....

Try 3 Virgin Marys, not as much fun as the other sort but no guilt in the morning....

Seriously, I do hope you get an opportunity to get out on your own even just for a short while, it does help even if only for a short while. I have just come back from a carers meeting and there were 14 of us all with tales that we are all familiar with. That is just one small area of my part of town and that is replicated all over the country. There are so many of us coping with this and yet it can be very lonely. Best wishes.

john1939

Sep 21, 2017
Newtownabbey
John 1939,

Hello, went to supermarket yesterday to get more food. I told my wife to stay with me at all times so that we could get this done quickly. Was distracted for a moment and when I looked around she was gone. The supermarket was very crowded so finding her was not going to be easy. I finally found her at the customer service desk at the head of a long queue trying to buy a set of plastic boxes with an American silver dollar. I shuffled up and paid for the boxes, all the time wishing that the ground would swallow me up.
No more visits to supermarket UNLESS I have someone to take charge of her. Regards.

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
Took my dad to the garden centre again today. We have been there 3 times in the last week as he has developed an interest in house plants. Nearly lost him one time last week when I turned my back for a minute but found him among the Christmas decorations. We had a coffee and a slice of carrot cake today instead of a sausage roll.

I used to take my son there when he was small but only very occasionally and we used to have a drink and a sausage roll. Oh well.

I want to run away and see the world all on my own.

Kazzy2016

Mar 5, 2017
East Anglia
It's not unusual to feel resentment or anger or 'why me?'. I care for mum and have had to adapt as her Dementia gets worse. I find asking/telling her to help me with simple things works - like cooking together or sorting washing out as we unload the machine. At those times something of her former self creeps back. I too find that the only time I really realise how much I do is when mum is out with a carer and I can take that much needed 'ME' time.
As carers we get frustrated and angry - it's normal to feel this and don't feel guilty when you do.
I know it's hard watching the person you love change and withdraw from mainstream life. Roll with the changes.
Keep plodding on you are not alone.