Respite update

gill@anchorage5

Apr 29, 2007
Southampton
Good Evening

Not been in touch for a while. Last respite period when I was home & had access to my PC seemed to go in a flash. Did visit TP & try to catch up on threads, but didn't have the time (or the energy!) to post. My heart goes out to so many who are going through difficult times of their own.

My Dad (John) has been very poorly of late, and so the Dr suggested that his respite be brought forward - consequently I am home 2 weeks earlier than anticiated. Behaviour & communication have gone really down-hill in the last few months. We still (thank God) have some lucid times when Dad can hold a conversation, take part in activities & is still good company & on those rare occasions his sense of humour is still very much there (which is just so wonderful!) Oh my lovely Dad! The bad times sadly are getting more frequent and much, much worse....

Singing/growling the same song over and over again. We had about 2 months of "The First Nowell" (long after Christmas had passed) and about 4 months now of "My Bonnie Lies over the Ocean"! Why that song I don't know (we have no Scottish roots) but it starts first thing in the morning and sometimes carries on all day, with a few loud renditions in the middle of the night for good measure.

Long spells of agitation, growling noises, making so sense whatsoever, saying the same made-up words over & over again, eyes closed, blocking everything out and just singing / growling / repeating odd sounding phrases. It breaks my heart that we just can't seem to get through to him at all.

Most major problem - we have really struggled to get him moving in the morning. Very resistive, very aggressive and on occasions violent (which is heartbreaking.) He will refuse to move, clings to the radiator or curtains, shouts & tells me to "sod off & leave him alone" Mostly he is asleep when the carers come & often we leave him to sleep in. When we can get him roused before the carers arrive, mostly they can do nothing with him as he is unco-operative and aggressive. So it's left to me & Mum to try & get him up, sometimes midday or even later. Have left him until 4 p.m on a couple of occasions when he wouldn't move - but then worry so much that I am not getting the required fluids & meds into him during the day.

The odd thing is - that having gone into respite care (and this is day 4) - he has been a perfect angel! As yet they have not made any changes to his meds, and he is being totally compliant in the mornings - happy, cheerful & quite lucid. I've been in to see him every afternoon and don't get me wrong it's lovely to see him on such good form - I just wish that the staff had experienced some of the extreme behaviour we have to deal with at home.

Nuses have said that this does happen - behaviour is far worse in their own home and with those they love - just wondered if anyone else has experienced this.

Sorry to tamble on - but I have about 2 months worth to catch up on! Hope all is well as can be with my "virtual friends" on TP & good wishes to all of you.

Love

Gill x

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Dear Gill, have no answers, just glad to have you back on board.

Dementia - a truely new experience for everyone - so just join in where you can.

Look forward to 'catching up'. Take care now.

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Dear Gill

Glad to have you back!:)

I'm sorry your dad is declining so badly, it must be hard to cope with aggressive behaviour.

I haven't experienced it with John, but I have seen in his unit that residents who are normally quite peaceful can sometimes behave very badly when the family visits. I think in some cases they are like naughty children who will behave badly for their parents but be perfect angels for everyone else! Something to do with security, they know mum will love them whatever!

Are you beginning to think of resident care? If the GP thought you should bring respite forward, it sounds as if he is thinking it might be becoming too much.

If you are thinking this way (and forgive me if I'm ahead of the game), perhaps you and your mum could use this respite to pay some visits and see what is available? It's better to kave some ideas rather than be faced with an emergency.

Love to you all,

gill@anchorage5

Apr 29, 2007
Southampton
It's good to be back!

Thanks Connie & Hazel for your comments & "welcome back's" - I really miss the virtual support of TP when I am at Mum & Dad's.

We'er not thinking of permanent residential care at the moment. Our CPN told me over a year ago that I will "know" when I am no longer able to carry on caring for Dad at home, and that time hasn't come yet....even when the going has been tough in recent months.

Fortunately Mum & I both agree (it would be awful if we differed on this) that Dad generally still has a much better quality of life with us at home. When you get to 92 (with or without AD) I feel strongly that ensuring the best quality of life possible is all we can aim for. While Dad may be well cared for in a Nursing Home - he wouldn't get the love & attention that he gets at home. If there comes a time in the future when he no longer recognises us - we may have to rethink, but when I go to visit him in respite his face lights up when I walk in the room & that means so much.

So....as long as we can continue with the regular planned respite to recharge our batteries (and his) we will carry on as long as we can at home. We have a Care Planning Meeting coming up next week - just hope that his current respite facility will not be withdrawn on the basis that he is so good whilst he is in that environment.

Keeping fingers crossed!

Take care - bye for now

Love

Gill x

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Gill, you're absolutely right to keep your dad at home as long as possible, it must make all the difference for your mum to have your support.

I hope the review meeting goes well, I can't imagine they'd withdraw respite at this stage.

Love,

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Gill

I am full of admiration for the support you give your mother and the care you give your father.

The respite care is for you and your mother, not for your father, so it should make no difference that he is `good` in respite care.

You are the ones who need the break.

Love xx

Short girl

Mar 22, 2008
Gill

Note your comment on your concern about the respite being withdrawn. At the review, do go heavily on about your own needs as a carer as it's not just the 'cared for' who is being reviewed. A good worker should listen to your needs and put across the need for this to continue and what might happen if it doesn't.

gill@anchorage5

Apr 29, 2007
Southampton
where does the time go?

Good Evening All

As usual time has flown and it's my last night at home, packing up in the morning to move back to Mum & Dad's for 8 weeks - so will not be in touch for a while.

Dad has done so well in respite once again, just hoping that he will keep it up when he gets home. Said to him yesterday, that he was coming home soon & he said "oh - that's a shame!" - I think he thinks he's on holiday (which in a way he is!)

No care planning meeting - which in some ways is good because it means that we get to keep the current arrangements in place for now (for which I'm so grateful!)

Thanks once again for the moral support from my virtual friends on here - it means so much.

Wishing all of you all the best with caring for your loved ones & you will be in my thoughts...

Take care

Love

Gill x

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
And wishing the best for you too Gill, and I`m sure you`ll be in the thoughts of many of us on TP too.
Love xx

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
have said that this does happen - behaviour is far worse in their own home and with those they love - just wondered if anyone else has experienced this.

Yes I have , they say mum an angel :eek: They wish they had more people like my mother .

At home with me mum, , Mum has TV on all night .

Care home she sleep alone with no TV on .

So I find when mum gets home she does not want TV on in the room she sleep in, she sleep with out it on .

Also I find when mum come home , she not so clinging on to me wanting me around all the time , she does not call my name out in the morning, lets me stay in a room other then the room she in , she lets the carers wash her with out complaining .

I find the longer mum in care home respite as in 2 weeks at a time , Mum so much better to care for when she gets home . Pick up some good positive habits they must do in caring for her , but then mum been going into respite for the last 2 years , 8 weeks a year so its taken a good year to show the benefits of respite .

Last edited: