can you tell me if these people that are diagnosed by the doctor have got LPA for financial reasons

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Are you asking if it's possible for a person who has been diagnosed with dementia to grant an lpa, or are you asking if it's common for people who have been diagnosed to grant an lpa? If the former, yes and the latter: well it should be something that people do as a matter of routine, and many do, although sadly not all.

janet m

Oct 2, 2017
Are you asking if it's possible for a person who has been diagnosed with dementia to grant an lpa, or are you asking if it's common for people who have been diagnosed to grant an lpa? If the former, yes and the latter: well it should be something that people do as a matter of routine, and many do, although sadly not all.

janet m

Oct 2, 2017
thank you-- my husband has been told by the doctor he has dementia & he has been prescribed Donapezil which suits him fine & to me seems quiet normal now so was wondering if he needs to apply for a financial LPA but according to your post it looks like he should even tho we have a joint bank account--getting giddy!!!

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi janet m
as with nitram and jenniferpa, I'm not entirely sure what you are asking, so I'll take a different tack

just because someone has a diagnosis of dementia it does not mean that they are automatically deemed to no longer have capacity to manage their own affairs and make their own decisions - there are members here who have been given a diagnosis; they post thoughtfully and helpfully, they drive, they run their own lives, they are active members of their communities - if they have granted Powers of Attorney to anyone, and registered those with the Office of the Public Guardian (OPG), then their Attorneys are waiting in the wings to support them, but currently have very little to do
an Attorney can help out the person they care for, with their finances, at any point, but only takes control of managing the person's financial affairs when they consider the person no longer has capacity to manage them for themselves - until then the person is free to deal with their own money, and to make decisions which may be extremely clever or utterly daft (as any adult is allowed to make silly mistakes)

and getting the diagnosis from a doctor doesn't mean that Powers of Attorney are somehow put in place - the POA documentation has to be filled in properly, signed, sent to the OPG, registered by them and sent back stamped by them before it is in effect and the Attorney has legal authority to act on the donor's behalf - then it can sit in a drawer for years before it is put to use

not everyone puts POAs in place and then someone has to apply to be the person's Deputy to be able to manage their finances

if you are an Attorney for your husband, this does not mean that he isn't allowed to deal with his own finances, or that the 2 of you can't continue as you always have done - until it is considered that he no longer has capacity; then you take over

sorry if this is teaching a grandmother to suck eggs ;)

best wishes

PS - the above was written before your last post

definitely arrange for Powers of Attorney for finance & property AND health & welfare to be put in place asap - it's a good idea to do these for yourself too, as none of us know what lies in the future and someone who is a joint & several Attorney with you for your husband, or a replacement Attorney, and an Attorney for you could step in and support your husband and yourself eg if you have to go into hospital for a long stay and long recuperation
and even a wife does not have the legal authority to deal with her husband's affairs, once he no longer has capacity, without POA

Last edited:

janet m

Oct 2, 2017
hi janet m
as with nitram and jenniferpa, I'm not entirely sure what you are asking, so I'll take a different tack

just because someone has a diagnosis of dementia it does not mean that they are automatically deemed to no longer have capacity to manage their own affairs and make their own decisions - there are members here who have been given a diagnosis; they post thoughtfully and helpfully, they drive, they run their own lives, they are active members of their communities - if they have granted Powers of Attorney to anyone, and registered those with the Office of the Public Guardian (OPG), then their Attorneys are waiting in the wings to support them, but currently have very little to do
an Attorney can help out the person they care for, with their finances, at any point, but only takes control of managing the person's financial affairs when they consider the person no longer has capacity to manage them for themselves - until then the person is free to deal with their own money, and to make decisions which may be extremely clever or utterly daft (as any adult is allowed to make silly mistakes)

and getting the diagnosis from a doctor doesn't mean that Powers of Attorney are somehow put in place - the POA documentation has to be filled in properly, signed, sent to the OPG, registered by them and sent back stamped by them before it is in effect and the Attorney has legal authority to act on the donor's behalf - then it can sit in a drawer for years before it is put to use

not everyone puts POAs in place and then someone has to apply to be the person's Deputy to be able to manage their finances

if you are an Attorney for your husband, this does not mean that he isn't allowed to deal with his own finances, or that the 2 of you can't continue as you always have done - until it is considered that he no longer has capacity; then you take over

sorry if this is teaching a grandmother to suck eggs ;)

best wishes

PS - the above was written before your last post

definitely arrange for Powers of Attorney for finance & property AND health & welfare to be put in place asap - it's a good idea to do these for yourself too, as none of us know what lies in the future and someone who is a joint & several Attorney with you for your husband, or a replacement Attorney, and an Attorney for you could step in and support your husband and yourself eg if you have to go into hospital for a long stay and long recuperation
and even a wife does not have the legal authority to deal with her husband's affairs, once he no longer has capacity, without POA

many thanks that has made it a lot clearer & put my mind at rest--my husband is fine at the moment & I was worried in case he had to go to the bank and declare he had dementia when the LPA came back (hopefully it is ok) & then things would be taken away from him.-- we will send off the LPA for him & make out the other forms when we come home from Spain

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
Yes, definitely get these things in place now, they need to be signed while he still has capacity.

You can then get them registered immediately, but you don't actually have to lodge them with the bank or any other institutions until you feel it is time to do so.

When my husband was first diagnosed the first thing we did was get the POAs sorted, along with Wills. I took out a POA for myself too and that helped my husband feel quite settled about the whole thing.

After they were registered we just put them aside, forgot about them and enjoyed life. It was several years before I needed to handle my husband's affairs but it saved so much angst in having the POA available and ready to use. We still have joint accounts but I set up a separate account for my husband once he started receiving PIP. I also put his birthday/Christmas money in that. I set myself up with an individual account too and my Carers Allowance and money from a part-time job goes into that one.

Everything else continues to come out of the joint accounts, which we both feed money into as necessary for our joint household bills.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
You need to get the LPAs signed and registered with the OPG NOW.
Then if you want you can put it into a drawer and forget about it until your husband loses capacity, which is when you have to take it to the bank to get it registered. Remember, if the bank ever thinks he has lost capacity and there is no LPA, they could freeze your joint account, which would leave you with no access to your money at all.

janet m

Oct 2, 2017
Yes, definitely get these things in place now, they need to be signed while he still has capacity.

You can then get them registered immediately, but you don't actually have to lodge them with the bank or any other institutions until you feel it is time to do so.

When my husband was first diagnosed the first thing we did was get the POAs sorted, along with Wills. I took out a POA for myself too and that helped my husband feel quite settled about the whole thing.

After they were registered we just put them aside, forgot about them and enjoyed life. It was several years before I needed to handle my husband's affairs but it saved so much angst in having the POA available and ready to use. We still have joint accounts but I set up a separate account for my husband once he started receiving PIP. I also put his birthday/Christmas money in that. I set myself up with an individual account too and my Carers Allowance and money from a part-time job goes into that one.

Everything else continues to come out of the joint accounts, which we both feed money into as necessary for our joint household bills.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GillWife