My mum

ella

Jul 13, 2008
Halifax
Hi
I'm new to this forum - my mum was diagnosed with Alzheimer's about 2 weeks ago. She has been gradually getting very forgetful for sometime now & mislaying things, also forgetting conversations she's had with us. I spoke to her on the phone last week she was quite ok and making sense, she was put on new medication for the disease last Weds & since then it's like she has gone from being my mum to being a person I do not recognise anymore - I'm heartbroken!! I live 220 miles away from her & my dad is looking after her - I was there for the past 4 days & she is rambling, shouting at my dad, calling me a bitch and so on...
WHAT'S HAPPENING?? And why so fast? Help:(

christine_batch

Jul 31, 2007
Buckinghamshire
Dear Ella,
Welcome to Talking Point.
You state that until your Mother's medication was change, so has your Mother.
In my personal opinion, contact the Doctor because sometimes the medication is too strong.
More people will come on line and give you further help.
There is always someone here for support.
Best wishes
Christine

gill@anchorage5

Apr 29, 2007
Southampton
Meds?

Hello Ella

Welcome to TP - you will find a lot of moral support on here, from people who can truly relate to what you're going through.

The sudden decline must be very frightening for all of you. It does seem from the various threads posted that although we can relate to some incidents, each case it totally different.

From your message it soes seem as though she has declined rapidly since the onset of medication. Could it be that the meds are having a bad effect on her? Would certainly ask for the Doctor to review. Whilst some medication suits some, for others it can cause problems. My Dad has suffered extreme agitation of 2 drugs he has taken, that apparently suit most people just fine - it just seems that Dad was one of the rare exceptions.

Sorry I can't give any more concrete advice - but hope things settle.

Kind Regards to you & your family

Gill x

ella

Jul 13, 2008
Halifax
Hello

Thanks so much for the advice Christine & Gill. I must admit I did think it might be the medication and have asked dad to go see the doctor tomorrow & ask her to ring me! I feel so helpless because I live so far away and I should be there for them both, my dad has Pagets disease & suffers a lot of pain! I simply do not know which way to turn as they both need support & care now, they are not eating properly, the house isn't getting cleaned, laundry not done and so on..... I did everything this weekend but now I'm sitting here worried sick & blubbering. My dad is a very proud man & I do feel he has been hiding a lot of things from me until I witnessed it myself. When I ask him about the future, he changes the subject! This is why I need to talk to their doctor asap

Ella

jane@hotmail

Mar 13, 2008
Bedfordshire
Dear Ella,

You're in the same boat that many of us have been in too. I know the heart break you're feeling right now and also the feeling of helplessness. I'm sure like me, you also have this overwhelming urge to step in and take control and responsibility for your parents, but in reality, it isn't as simple as that.
Although I knew Mum had Alzhiemers, my Mum and Dad seemed to be coping, although I was aware the house duties were being neglected and their clothes were sometimes grubby. When I visited I would discretely do abit of cleaning, put a wash on, etc. If I was caught, I'd be told that mum would do that later! Of course she wouldn't.......
My Dad coped with Mum really well, He would bath her, it wasn't as often as it should have been because she was always convinced she'd already had a wash that morning! He cooked her meals and did a great job. In fact, He did such a good job, I didn't realise how bad mum was getting.

I'm just trying to explain to you that I'm sure your dad has been hiding just how bad your mum has become and when you went to see them, it came as a shock to see the change in her. I would try to have a frank conversation with your dad and reassure him that you want to support him as much as you can, but you need to now exactly how your mum is behaving. Ask him if he thinks there has been a change in her since the medication was started. Maybe she has been been behaving like you described for a while and that's why she's been put on the medication. I know from experience that my mum would talk to me on the phone and she would appear fine. It was almost like she went through all the pleasantries, almost like a robot. Although I didn't realize that at the time, only when I looked back.
Sadly, because you live far away, and cannot see your parents as often as you'd like, the changes will always be more obvious to you. You really can't get a true picture from speaking to your mum on the phone and I'm sure because your dad doesn't want to worry you, he may not be as truthful as you'd like him to be.

It would be helpful to try and talk or write a letter to your mothers doctor explaining your concerns and giving them your contact number. I would regularly update my parents doctor on how things were for both of them and although he never told them of our contact during the bad times he could appear to randomly phone dad and ask if he could call in to visit mum and then sort out problems. My dad never wanted to bother the doctor!.......

I'm thinking of you in this heartbreaking situation, and I know it's very hard, but it's the illness that is making your mum behave the way she is. She really doesn't mean all of the horrible things she says to you...

Jane x

Luca

Jul 9, 2008
Sutton Coldfield.
So sorry to hear of your problem. I too am new to TP but have been encorouged to talk - it does help to get it off 'the chest'. I would see the doctor as I believe some medication is not for every one. My husband has been told there is nothing he can have except, aspirin, colestrol and blood pressure tablets. I am sure many people will come on line to help you. Love.

ella

Jul 13, 2008
Halifax
Hello Jane

Thankyou for your advice....I have spent all morning trying to get hold of mum's Physchiatrist to find out exactly what the true situation is! My mum had an appointment with him 2 weeks ago & would not allow my dad to go in with her,she came out and said it was the onset of Alzheimer's - but now I'm wondering if this is the case! I have been passed from pillar to post this morning and still none the wiser. Finally I got through to someone for the 3rd time who agreed to email the doctor & ask him to ring me at home, we'll see what that brings. I have managed to arrange a home visit today from the locum GP as their own GP is away on holiday. I explained to dad that he must tell the doctor everything & to give him my number to phone me! I have also been on to Home Care services to try and arrange an assessment asap - they really need it. They told me to get it referred through the GP as things will proceed much quicker! So, I think I may be able to see a light at the end of the tunnel, but God knows what the future holds for all of us! It's making me feel sick inside to think my mum is drifting away from me & there is nothing I can do to stop it!! I cannot stop crying, will that ever ease? I have a brother who is an alcoholic so he is no use whatsoever to anyone, all he does is ring me drunk saying I should be there with them - making me feel guilty. Sorry to go on I just needed to get this out & what better way to do it.....
Thanks for support

Ella x

Lucille

Sep 10, 2005
Hello Ella

Sorry you're having such an awful time. From someone else who is caring from a distance, it can seem a nightmare and problems appear to be magnified ten-fold! Having said that, it sounds like you're doing something constructive, even if you're waiting for responses back from people. I've found that when I'm "doing" something like that, I feel like I've made some progress; however small!

If your dad can reiterate to the GP that he would like some additional help, then the GP should be the instigator of a Social Worker who (for me anyway) helped sort out carers. They can assist with all sorts of things from meds. collection to doing a bit of cleaning and washing. As you say though, unless your dad is up-front about the situation, none of this will happen very quickly.

Jane has raised some good points in her reply and it's the sort of things I did when my mum became ill.

I hope you can get something sorted soon.

Try not to wear yourself out with it all (easier said than done, I know!) :eek:
x

Short girl

Mar 22, 2008
Hi

I will probably echo what most members have suggested. It sounds like your mother requires medical intervention just to rule out any causes of the sudden deterioration (constipation, UTI etc), if she's on some new medication this seems the likely cause. My Nan got precribed Galantamine XL with utterly horrendous side effects, I took her off it immediately, seeking medical advice firstly.
Good luck

jane@hotmail

Mar 13, 2008
Bedfordshire
Hi Ella,

I hope you're starting to get some responses from Doctors, Home Care Services etc. It really can get very frustrating at times, getting passed from pillar to post. But keep hassling them, it's sometimes the only way to get yourself noticed.

I hope once you start getting responses from various sources you'll start to feel a little better about things. As you say, when you begin to see light at the end of the tunnel, it helps.

As for 'I can't stop crying, will that ever ease', Well that is a difficult thing to answer, because although, you'll have good times ahead and you may find you appreciate the happy times more than before, there is always the knowledge that your mum is slowly slipping away from you. I think that you slowly learn to except that fact and it becomes easier to except on a day to day basis. The only time a spanner is thrown into the works is when you share a good day with your mum and you see glimpses of how she was, and then, although they are wonderful moments, they are also very sad, because you remember what you're losing.

It must be very difficult for you, being so far away, and then your brother, telling you what you should be doing, when you're already doing what you can. Try and stay positive, speak to your mum and dad as much as you can, and always remember that you'll always get support from TP. Try not to wear yourself out, you have a long journey ahead of you.

Jane x

ella

Jul 13, 2008
Halifax
Hi

Well, the doctor went to visit my mum yesterday & took away some of the medication he also changed her sleeping tabs and gave antibiotics for UTI. I spoke to my dad this morning and he said she slept all night from 10.30 - 6am which is good, as she was wandering around the house all night. When I spoke to mum this morning she was a lot calmer - thank god!

As I have been writing this the Psychiatrist has just rung me I've had a good chat with him & he said sometimes the medication for Alzheimers can make it a 100 times worse - he told me to stop medication ( already done) and he is sending a member of his team to visit my mum this week! Oh what a relief:)
He is also passing my number to the team member to liase with me - I already feel a weight has been lifted!

Ella

jane@hotmail

Mar 13, 2008
Bedfordshire
Hi Ella,

I'm so glad to hear that things have taken a turn for the better. Keep in contact with the psychiatrist and his team member, even if it's a letter sent to them with a quick progress report. I think this applies to the doctor too. It may not seem necessary when things are going well, but if there's a sudden change, you'll be glad you've maintained close contact with them.

Jane x

gill@anchorage5

Apr 29, 2007
Southampton
UTI's

Hello Ella

Good to read some positive news. UTI's are dreadful for AD sufferers. Unfortunately my Dad is very prone to them (as he has a catheter) and when he gets an infection it's just as though someone has pressed the "fast forward button" on the alzheimer's.

Hope that the antibiotics soon kick in & that things will settle down a bit now for you all.

Love

Gill x

Linda Mc

Jul 3, 2005
Nr Mold
Hi Ella

Glad you are now getting some help and support and that your Dad has had some rest.

Hope things continue to improve.

Linda x

ella

Jul 13, 2008
Halifax
Morning all

Well the mental health community nurse is visiting my mum & dad today as we speak. I spoke to dad this morning, he said I can't cope with this much longer (oh dear), and it's only the beginning! I'm in a quandry not knowing what to do, do I give up work ( can't really afford to), and go care for them both or what is the solution? Mum told dad to put her in a home ( over my dead body), she's never wanted that because she used to work in care homes so she knows the score! Their GP was back from holiday yesterday & she rang my dad to have a chat last night, at least they are doing something fairly quickly about the situation. My mum's sister had Alzheimers in her 60's so I presume it's in the family, my cousin rang me and we chatted for ages about it - she told me to treasure every moment with her! The moments are not enough because of the distance between us, she keeps asking me when I'm going down again to see her, bless her. She said to me this morning " I'm playing silly ******s here, doing stupid things" I feel so helpless......

Just waiting now for the outcome of the assessment :(

Ella

ella

Jul 13, 2008
Halifax
Oh how the day's change like the weather! Today my dad is threatening to walk out, say's he cannot cope at all. GP has spoken to him & offered respite for mum! Where do they put people suffering with Alzheimer's? I'm scared it will make her worse....
Spoke to her today on the phone she was talking about her mum & dad and the fact that her mum is surely in heaven, but her dad must be in hell! Then she started crying and it has broken my heart I can't stop crying myself now & my insides feel knotted up - I feel sick!
Does anyone know what financial help I would receive if I gave up work to care for them both? I know it sounds heartless, but I am not in a position to be able to afford to not work or have some form of income!
I feel so useless and helpless at this moment in time......

Ella

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi Ella

So sorry that things have gone downhill again, I'm not surprised you're feeling ill.

Regarding respite, people are usually placed in either a residential or nursing home depending on their needs. Social services usually have a few homes where they have beds available for respite. You should ring them and ask which ones, and you and your dad could visit.

As for giving up your job, I think you'd be eligible for Carers' Allowance,

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/CaringForSomeone/MoneyMatters/DG_10012522

but you'd have to check.

Having said that, please think carefully before you take this step. It could be that your mum will need full-time care in the not too distant future, especially as your dad isn't coping, and you may have sabotaged your career prospects by giving up your job. Please investigate all other possibilities first.

You are not heartless, or useless, or helpless. You are a very caring daughter who is trying to find the best solution in a very difficult situation.

Please try to get some help before you and your dad both collapse.

Love and hugs,

ella

Jul 13, 2008
Halifax
Hello Hazel

I must admit it helps to be able to come to TP and get it of my chest, doesn't stop me thinking about it constantly I just can't get them off my mind - I feel I'm going mad at times! I'm doing stupid things too, trying to concentrate on other things to occupy myself. Everyone is so understanding & caring here it's lovely.
I know to give up my career would be a big step, and that's not all I would leave behind - my husband, children, grandchildren, friends etc.....I'm not sure I could cope with that as well!

My brother ( who was sober ) phoned today & said he is going to see them next Weds - that's a long way off to my dad who needs the support right now! But better late than never I suppose...
Oh well thanks to everyone & let's see what tomorrow brings :)

Ella