DVLA Driving Assessment

Alyson1955

Mar 6, 2016
can anyone give me an information on these. My husband has one coming up soon and would just like a heads up of what I can expect to warn him. Thinking of some driving lessons before he takes it if anyone thinks they would help. He will be devastated if his licence is taken away, I will accept the DVLA decision as his and other people's safety is of priority.

Soobee

Aug 22, 2009
South
Some people are safe to continue driving for years after diagnosis. Do you think he still drives competently and safely? If you have concerns about his driving then it is vital that you share them.

I don't know about what comes up in the assessment but if you search on Driving assessment or DVLA assessment at the top of the screen where it says 'search' then you might find some previous conversations about it.

There is a point where he will have to face losing the licence. I appreciate that it is devastating to lose independence, I have two family members where that has been the case (for different reasons) and both of them have found that very difficult, but got used to it reasonably quickly.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Thinking of some driving lessons before he takes it if anyone thinks they would help.

I don't think they would help, they may even distress him.
I think the test is more about being able to drive safely in normal traffic than reverse around a corner.
The result could be a one year licence.

Casbow

Sep 3, 2013
Colchester
I don't think they would help, they may even distress him.
I think the test is more about being able to drive safely in normal traffic than reverse around a corner.
The result could be a one year licence.
Never heard of this assessment before. Why is he having to have one. So far as I know the DVLA send a form for him to fill in and on the basis of that they decide whether to let him have his licence for another year. It appears that it is the partner or relative that has to call it a day if they know that the PWD is no longer safe to drive. Please think very carefully. Are you sure he is still ok. to drive. I had to get my husbands licence taken away. This can be done with a visit to the doctor. Not a nice thing to have to do but you would be devastated if anything went wrong when he was driving.xx

maryw

Nov 16, 2008
Surrey
My husband had a driving assessment about 2-3 years ago following stroke. The first part of the test involves reaction testing in the centre watching a video, the obvious cognitive assessment and visual field assessment. If he passes on those, then it is a drive with an OT person in the back and driving instructor in the front. Generally on quiet roads but lots of junctions, roundabouts etc...

Hope that helps.

tesscol33

Feb 26, 2017
Peterborough
hello@Alyson
With regard to Driving Assessment, when my Husband had his the Assessors spent an hour chatting about his driving experience, his job when he was working, his interests etc. they also gave him some aptitude and co=ordination and memory tests. He was also asked to identify various Highway code signs. then they took him out on the road for an hour, driving in different areas and conditions. it was a dual control car. i was with him for the first hour but did not go in the car.

Mimi5

Apr 22, 2017
Essex
Hi there. My MIL who I care for had one of these a little over a year ago. She failed it in an epic way! We were mightily relived as we had been SO worried about her driving and she had a few near misses. She thought her driving was fine!

It's more about your ability to be safe on the road than your actual driving skills. Not like a normal driving test at all. There are different elements to the tests. The 1st is a vision tests; i.e. reading a number plate from so many meters. Then it's a cognitive test. After that a driving simulator type test. If MIL had been safe to drive she would have then gone out on the road with an instructor, but she was assessed to unsafe from the early elements to do that part of the test!

The O.T and driving instructor were very kind and helpful, explaining and showing us all why, what and how MIL had scored. So Hubby, I and MIL all understood the assessment and the reasons why MIL failed and had to surrender her license that day.

I have to say, you will need to prepare for this eventuality. At some point your husband will lose his license. Doing this way is kindest I feel as it is professionals who asses and decide. It's about everybody's safety at the end of the day.

Casbow

Sep 3, 2013
Colchester
Hi there. My MIL who I care for had one of these a little over a year ago. She failed it in an epic way! We were mightily relived as we had been SO worried about her driving and she had a few near misses. She thought her driving was fine!

It's more about your ability to be safe on the road than your actual driving skills. Not like a normal driving test at all. There are different elements to the tests. The 1st is a vision tests; i.e. reading a number plate from so many meters. Then it's a cognitive test. After that a driving simulator type test. If MIL had been safe to drive she would have then gone out on the road with an instructor, but she was assessed to unsafe from the early elements to do that part of the test!

The O.T and driving instructor were very kind and helpful, explaining and showing us all why, what and how MIL had scored. So Hubby, I and MIL all understood the assessment and the reasons why MIL failed and had to surrender her license that day.

I have to say, you will need to prepare for this eventuality. At some point your husband will lose his license. Doing this way is kindest I feel as it is professionals who asses and decide. It's about everybody's safety at the end of the day.
As I said before I have never heard about this assessment. When I was worried about my husbands driving I was advised to take him to the doctor who would deal with it. This was about 7 years ago. Maybe they didn't do the assessment then.xx

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
OH had to undergo a driving assessment following his diagnosis and he had 2 driving lessons prior to it. I did it so that he could not accuse me of obstructing his chances and to familiarize himself with the vehicle and the test situation. The whole process cost us a small fortune but I didn't have to be the person who said he could no longer drive and he couldn't accuse me of not supporting him.

During the test he didn't obey the speed signs in a school zone which was an automatic fail and a huge relief for me.

Debs42

Jan 27, 2013
It seems a bit random whether or not they do the assessment. Informing the DVLA of the diagnosis is a legal requirement, as is the case with many other diseases, e.g. Heart problems, even cancer. Once you've completed the form they send I think it depends very much on what the medical people say about the person's ability to drive. My husband got a 1 year licence first time round, but when that came up for renewal his licence was revoked on the basis of what the consultant had said in his report. An assessment was not offered, and I couldn't get much information from the DVLA about the reasons for that.
I think it's a good idea to have an assessment becasue it should help the sufferer to accept that they can't drive any more.

chick1962

Apr 3, 2014
near Folkestone
My husband has one every year. It’s made up of 2 components .
Mental ability where you have to do mental tests for about 2 hours followed by a drive in the car for an hour and a half .

So far he has always passed but they are not easy .

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
OH had one in 2008. DVLA took his licence away and he appealed. Hence the test. He failed twice cos they said he didn't brake hard enough, though he was still on the rig at the time! I didn't know then that vascular dementia ( he had mixed dementia, vas plus Alzheimer's) is an automatic no licence situation! He was really upset, even though driving wasn't a great love, but it represented his ability to do his thing! Though he did love his pick up! I wasn't allowed to sell it for a year, when it was bought by a friend of a friend.
I had been out with him a fortnight before his test and as far as I was concerned his driving was fine, so it upset me a bit as well

Pete R

Jul 26, 2014
Staffs
I didn't know then that vascular dementia ( he had mixed dementia, vas plus Alzheimer's) is an automatic no licence situation!
I take it your OH was a Group 2 driver (Lorries/Buses) as VasD is not an automatic ban for Group 1 drivers (cars).
:)

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
No, he wasn't, Pete. Cars only.
I can only say that I have come across several people was vas d who have been stopped immediately. Can't think who originally told me, probably in an Alzheimers Society meeting.
But things can change, it was a good few years ago.

Pete R

Jul 26, 2014
Staffs
No, he wasn't, Pete. Cars only.
I can only say that I have come across several people was vas d who have been stopped immediately. Can't think who originally told me, probably in an Alzheimers Society meeting.
But things can change, it was a good few years ago.
Yes VasD can mean they have to stop driving cars but it is on a case by case basis and is not automatic on diagnosis.:)

Alyson1955

Mar 6, 2016
Thank you all so much for comments. My husband is really well at the moment no one even notices that there is anything wrong, only myself and doctors. Apart from being forgetful and slow at completing simple jobs nothing much has changed. I was hoping he would manage to retain his licence for another two years as that is when I retire but I am relieved it is not me to take away his driving and will welcome the assessment to make sure he is safe on the roads. I want to give him the best possible chance of success as I know what this will do to him. I think a couple of refresher lessons will help and finger crossed after that.

PJ

Jan 26, 2017
Bristol
My husband had a driving assessment about 2-3 years ago following stroke. The first part of the test involves reaction testing in the centre watching a video, the obvious cognitive assessment and visual field assessment. If he passes on those, then it is a drive with an OT person in the back and driving instructor in the front. Generally on quiet roads but lots of junctions, roundabouts etc...

Hope that helps.
Thank you for your post. I have a driving assessment at 10am tomorrow morning & I’m starting to feel quite nervous.

Countryboy

Mar 17, 2005
South West
Hi if this helps I took a driving assessment in 2012 the procedure carried out was similar that shown below the only difference with me I arranged and paid for the assessment myself so the report was sent to Me , if the DVLA request the assessment they will pay But aware you won’t get a copy of report, the test is simple enough providing you have the driving ability and your competent and confident during the test. p s I did not use the computerized Assessment Rig
best of Luck :):)
What does the assessment involve? The Assessor(s) will start the assessment by having an initial discussion with you. This enables the Assessor(s) to find out relevant background information relating to you such as:
Mobility details
Medical history
Driving history

The Assessor(s) will perform a simple physical assessment in order that they are aware of your physical abilities.
It may be necessary for clients to have their visual fields tested in order to determine whether their eyesight meets the legal requirements for driving purposes.
If necessary a further assessment can be conducted. This will comprise a series of exercises to evaluate concentration, memory, co-ordination, attention and visual perception. The Assessment Rig

The Assessment Rig is a computerized system that assesses strength of limbs, range of movement and decision and reactions times. It is particularly helpful for clients who do not have a driving licence and/or are unable to have an “on-road” drive.
On-road drive The final stage of the assessment is a drive in one of our specially equipped vehicles. (Or it may be possible to use your own vehicle) This may only take place if the client has entitlement to drive and it is felt appropriate. The Assessor will ask clients to perform a series of exercises in order to assess their ability to drive in control of the vehicle and in a safe manner.
The outcome of the assessment including recommendations will be discussed in full with you. A written report will be available to be sent to either you, your doctor or referring agency such as the DVLA