MCI

mangoman

May 15, 2017
Hi All, i complained to my GP that my memory was deteriorating, i'm 57 by the way. He arranged a brain scan from what I remember they said there was slight shrinkage of the brain but they didn't diagnose me with anything worrying. Then I went to the memory clinic for lots of tests to test my memory & IQ. The woman said I had Mild Cognitive Impairment. They said my memory loss was due to depression. Anyhow 4 yrs on and my memory is a lot worse now and I stay in bed most of the time as I cannot remember much to do tasks etc. There hasnt seemed to be much advice or help available since my diagnosis of MCI 4 yrs ago and now im in a worse situation. I'm waiting for an appointment to do the memory tests again to see how much has changed in 4 yrs. Does anyone know if I am getting the right support? Should I be asking for any devices or help to stop my life from going any further dowm the pan. Cheers all. Nile

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hello mangoman.
Yes you are doing the right things by going back to the memory clinic, but you can also ask Social Services for an assessment to see if there is anything that can help you.
My husband was also diagnosed, first with depression, then with MCI and then, finally with dementia. Sometimes it can take a long time to get the right diagnosis.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
When my wife was given the diagnosis of MCI nothing much happened other than a tweaking of meds for anxiety and depression. A year on further tests altered the diagnosis to Alzh & Vasc Dem and that's when support like OT and CPN kicked in.

AlsoConfused

Sep 17, 2010
"I stay in bed most of the time as I cannot remember much to do tasks etc".

Life should offer you much more than the security you feel from staying safe in bed. Maybe you need a bit of support to help you change your mood and become more active and socially engaged? It may well be that your depression is having a lot more impact on your life than your memory problems - and doctors are able to do a lot to help their patients recover from depression. Apart from medication, they can put you in touch with social support and activity groups (eg singing for the brain), befrienders and so on. They can prescribe exercise classes (anything from line-dancing to yoga), all of which might help you feel better.

Please talk again to your GP. Explain how much of your time you're spending in bed, how unsupported you usually feel and ask his / her help.