Had enough today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lavender45

Jun 7, 2015
Liverpool
Well here I am. I'm not sure about this new layout. I think it might be some time before I get my head around it enough to be as comfortable as I was with the previous incarnation!

I didn't say much when I last posted, I was so wound up I would have just made a mess of it.

The visit on Sunday was the worst I've ever experienced and not because of mum. I met my cousin and his wife at 3.30 so we could go in together. We walked in tailgating a member of staff who didn't so much as raise an eyebrow. Mum is on the first floor, there was no one on reception so we went straight up, I know the number for the keypad to access mum's unit so we went in. Mum was in the lounge with her one to one, she vanished the minute we arrived without even asking who we were and that was the last we saw of her. There were 4 staff members sitting at the back of the lounge chatting about a resident (including naming the lady) and discussing her attack on a nurse.

I went to mum's room with my cousin's wife and there were notes relating to a male patient in mum's cubby hole, really poor data protection!

Tea was a buffet meal served at 4.30. There was no suggestion of a protected mealtime, residents were not even encouraged towards the dining room and no one asked us to step out to protect the dignity of residents who needed assistance. Mum's buffet was a sausage roll, half a pork pie, half a scotch egg, a roll cut in half one part with ham the other with a slice of processed chicken, a small piece of celery and quite a substantial portion of trifle. Not very diabetic friendly!

One of the lady residents came over when mum was eating and grabbed mum's food squeezing it through her fingers. Staff promised a replacement, but it didn't materialise, so basically mum had trifle.

I nabbed the unit manager, S. Once again she denied the incident with the walker and she was dismissive of the fact that the consultant had been told it had happened. She also told me mum's walker had not been put of her room since she moved in.

Quite frankly I was furious. When we left once again there was no one on reception. A staff member had gone out ahead of us, the door is slow closing so we tailgate her out. Not really good.

At the meeting on Monday I went ballistic and demanded we move mum. The social worker agreed to this but uturned afterwards and said it wasn't in mum's best interests to move her, but that she has had to raise a safeguarding incident regarding the non use of mum's walker as that is in her care plan as she is a falls risk. I wasn't happy with the uturn and told her I wanted any further communication to be by email as she contradicts herself (this wasn't the first time) she's refused as she doesn't do emails. Her line manager and I may have to have a chat about that.

The home promised improvements, that was Monday. After the meeting I went through to see mum, she was in the lounge of a unit which isn't hers, but it seemed that was where she wanted to go. She was barefooted which didn't impress me. Mum has shoes, 2 pairs of slippers and several pairs of slipper socks, there's no reason for her not to have something on her feet. The walker wasn't anywhere in evidence either. Mum's one to one on Monday morning was a busy lady, she explained to me that her mobile hadn't stopped as she'd just become a grandmother and indeed she immediately took a call after telling me this, she then disappeared off into the corridor and wasn't seen again until. I went to find her when I was leaving. Whist sitting with mum another staff member wandered in to collect her mobile from behind the cushions on the sofa where she was charging it. I know mobiles are important to all of us, but if these staff were serving on a till in Sainsburys they could hardly ask people to wait as their phones were busy. Another 2 staff came in complaining about a resident needing to go to a dental appointment saying how short staffed they were. One loudly proclaimed to the other that she wasn't taking him. So unprofessional, they could see me in the room yet carried on as though I wasn't there.

Meeting number 2 was yesterday. I brought up the mobile phone usage etc. The policy is no mobiles for staff whilst on duty, but agency staff are apparently hard to police. The consultant was at the meeting yesterday. She was very clear the incident with the walker did take place. On Monday the home manager said there was another new resident and there had been an incident with her, she suggested that the staff had told the consultant about that resident in error, I pointed out that was quite disgusting if that happened and just as bad as not recording the incident if mum was aggressive with her walker, in fact possibly worse. The consultant was very certain that the nurse she spoke with on Thursday was talking about mum, so it boils down to poor record keeping by a staff member who is now on leave. For me it was also the dismissive behaviour of the nursing manager which was as important, the home manager assures me this will all be addressed and that mum's notes will be fully accessible to me and that she will ensure I'm fully in the loop regarding mum's behaviour. Time will tell, but they certainly know I'm watching and vocal and well up for complaining!

As to mum herself she's okish. The incident with the walker was Tuesday night, on Wednesday they'd had her downstairs and she'd flipped in the foyer when they were return her upstairs, she'd "gone for" the home manager and the deputy and she sacked both of them. She put herself to the floor and demanded the police were called. They had someone in a security guard uniform in the home at the time so to appease mum he came over to mum, she quickly sussed that he wasn't a police officer so she went for him too. Classic mum. Thursday night she didn't go to bed or sleep at all, Friday, through to Monday there was only verbal aggression, so not too bad. Mum was up and about for the day by 5am on Tuesday morning, bit early, but hey ho, what can they do. The manager called this morning to tell me mum was up and aggressive around 3.30am this morning. Staff gave her space to wander and calm down, she calmed and went back to her room, but was quickly back out again more aggressive demanding the staff get out of she house shouting and balling and trying to get into other residents rooms. The manager says they will monitor her sleep through to early next week and if she continues with disrupted sleep they may have to ask her consultant to come back in for a medication review or they may need to ask for a night time one to one. Mum's one to one is currently 8am to midnight so16 hours a day. A night time one to one will mean more money. As I've said the weekly cost for the home with the one to one is currently in excess of £2k per week. Lord knows how much that would have to rise if they had to add in night time one to one support as well. As I said to one of my friends today if I was having to pay for this I'd have to consider going on the game and pray that there was a niche market out there for overweight, plain 40 plus woman, otherwise it'd be selling my body parts!

All in all its been pretty stressful. There were other things we saw on Sunday which I've not mentioned here. All in all the bullet pointed list I produced has 13 things on it. I hope things can improve. I'm aware that I'm micro managing at the moment, but I will feel the need to do this until I feel I can trust them. I'm sure I will not be popular, but this is mum's care and it has to be good.

Last edited:

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
Lavender, I'm so sorry to read your update (but glad you're here). It sounds stressful and awful and just plain terrible. Please know you're in my thoughts.

I'm also not sure about this new TP layout, but am glad we are all still here.

Lavender45

Jun 7, 2015
Liverpool
Lavender, I'm so sorry to read your update (but glad you're here). It sounds stressful and awful and just plain terrible. Please know you're in my thoughts.

I'm also not sure about this new TP layout, but am glad we are all still here.

Thank you Amy. I hope things are going OK with your mum. X

rosy18

Jul 23, 2016
Blackpool
Oh Lavender my heart sank when I've read your post. I don't know what to say. It's such an ongoing challenge for you talk about a roller coaster ride.
What I will say though is you have and continue to be amazing fighting hard every step of the way to get what your dear Mum deserves. If she knew how hard this battle to get your Mum settled somewhere decent has been she would be so so proud.xx

Marnie like Lavender you too are coping brilliantly. I'm praying the DN can get the sores your Mum is getting under control and that your care company will be able to facilitate your needs of doubleing up carers soon..xx

I had our carer here for the day today and had my neighbour who has been really good round too and I cooked us lunch,opened a bottle of champers and we celebrated my 63rd birthday with Mum not understanding it was my birthday at all but smiled when she saw the birthday cake which my neighbour brought round which was chocolate and which she really enjoyed thankfully after eating very little of anything else

Hoping everybody else is doing ok.
The new lay out of TP all seems strange

Lavender45

Jun 7, 2015
Liverpool
Oh Rosy happy birthday!!! I'm just in time before the day is over. I'm so glad your neighbour was able to help make the day a special one. It's lovely that the cake raised a smile for your mum, something precious, better than all the fancy wrapping paper, bows and ribbons in the world. Xxx

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
Popping in instead of just reading to say Happy Birthday to Rosy

Lavender - sorry to hear of your struggles, I don't think you are micro managing, you are standing up for your mum.

Marnie - you are doing a brilliant job - well done

Now I'll revert to just reading again

rosy18

Jul 23, 2016
Blackpool
Oh Rosy happy birthday!!! I'm just in time before the day is over. I'm so glad your neighbour was able to help make the day a special one. It's lovely that the cake raised a smile for your mum, something precious, better than all the fancy wrapping paper, bows and ribbons in the world. Xxx

Thanks Lavender Yes the smile makes me feel like I've won the lottery xx

rosy18

Jul 23, 2016
Blackpool

Lavender - sorry to hear of your struggles, I don't think you are micro managing, you are standing up for your mum.

rosy18

Jul 23, 2016
Blackpool

Thank you Juggling Mum

Lavender45

Jun 7, 2015
Liverpool

Hi JM
Thank you for what you said. You know you're really welcome to join in absolutely any time you want to. There's always space for you in the group hugs. X

Harrys daughter

Jul 12, 2016
Happy birthday rosy good to hear you had a good one and mum enjoyed your cake lol
Marnie this is yet another horrible stage of this bloody illness the indignity of it all just breaks your heart
Ow lavender it just goes from bad to worse these bl@@dy manager's should do just that and manage the staff using the excuse that thay are for them using mobile phones is just not good enough I'd blow my top at that how do you stay carm
hugs are here for you guys but don't think it's enough for you sorry I wish I could help somehow x
Free hugs for all and gp have a fab hols x

Lavender45

Jun 7, 2015
Liverpool
Happy birthday rosy good to hear you had a good one and mum enjoyed your cake lol
Marnie this is yet another horrible stage of this bloody illness the indignity of it all just breaks your heart
Ow lavender it just goes from bad to worse these bl@@dy manager's should do just that and manage the staff using the excuse that thay are for them using mobile phones is just not good enough I'd blow my top at that how do you stay carm
hugs are here for you guys but don't think it's enough for you sorry I wish I could help somehow x
Hugs are great HD. I really wasn't calm. I threw my dummy right out of the pram and added to it with a proper hissy fit I promise you. Xxx

Harrys daughter

Jul 12, 2016
Also want to add to marnie lavender rosy and othersgoing through this **** seeing there loved ones having to live with this living hell you are doing a AMAZING job love is whats carring you and tp will lead you along sending love and strength to you all x

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
@Marnie63 Hugs to you. I hope the agency do come up with a second Carer soon. You've done so well for your mum. I'm sure you're exhausted. Try and get enough rest yourself. *Insert ironic laugh here!*

@Lavender45 I'm so sorry to read the update. You had such hopes for the Home placement for your mum. It's a shame you can't relax and just assume that your mum will be getting the care she needs and deserves! It's so awful for both of you, to have her so tormented by her illness. Hugs to you too.

Happy birthday @rosy18 ten minutes late!

rosy18

Jul 23, 2016
Blackpool

Thank you Harrys'd it was good to relax and enjoy the day xx

rosy18

Jul 23, 2016
Blackpool
@Marnie63 Hugs to you. I hope the agency do come up with a second Carer soon. You've done so well for your mum. I'm sure you're exhausted. Try and get enough rest yourself. *Insert ironic laugh here!*

@Lavender45 I'm so sorry to read the update. You had such hopes for the Home placement for your mum. It's a shame you can't relax and just assume that your mum will be getting the care she needs and deserves! It's so awful for both of you, to have her so tormented by her illness. Hugs to you too.

Happy birthday @rosy18 ten minutes late!

Thank you LadyA didn't realise it had gone past midnight
Hope the meet up has gone really well

Lavender45

Jun 7, 2015
Liverpool
Good afternoon everyone.

The home has called, mum was very physically aggressive last night attacking the staff. Then verbally abusive this morning making allegations against the staff. They have had a meeting with the community matron and are trying to get hold of mum's consultant (good luck with that) to request a crisis management team be put in place to assist them when mum is as she is. As you know it's a challenging behaviour home, mum has a one to one pretty much all the time she is awake and now they are looking for additional support with a crisis management team. It's bizarre.

The nurse manager I spoke to said she hopes mum will calm down once she's more settled. Mum was on the ward in her secure hospital for months. The layout of the ward was 17 individual ensuite bedrooms, 4 small lounges, and a dining room plus the ward office bathrooms etc, it was very much laid out like a nursing home and mum was as you know regularly aggressive there. I don't think that any degree of familiarity lessens mum's aggression. Fingers crossed I'm proved wrong. The nurse manager said they would give this at least a few months, but also reminded me that they have the safety of the other residents to consider. I cannot disagree.

One thing which particularly worried me was the nurse said mum had been stroking the nurse's neck in a lull in her aggression. I suggested that wasn't a good thing, with mum's record on strangling I'd rather she didn't touch anyone's neck.

Last edited:

WORRIER123

Oct 1, 2015
Just got logged in and found the thread
How can something so simple be made so hard
Don't like this new upgrade
Missing dad so much this week been so tearful.
Hope you are all ok ? Trying to catch up on the thread xx

Lavender45

Jun 7, 2015
Liverpool
Just got logged in and found the thread
How can something so simple be made so hard
Don't like this new upgrade
Missing dad so much this week been so tearful.
Hope you are all ok ? Trying to catch up on the thread xx

Oh Worrier I'm so sorry it's been a bad week. I know it's all part of the grieving process which we need to go through, but at a time when you need peaceful reflection this raft of emotions must feel like the last thing you need. It is healthy to let these emotions have their way for a while. All the stress brought about by caring for our loved ones and battling burocracy needs releasing for us to function fully in the future. If we don't let grieving have it's way we can get stuck in the process, I did that when my dad passed on and it's not to be recommended. You will get through this given time and support. I know you know this already, but we are all here to support you through.

I'm finding the new upgrade hard going too. It's too much like the app for me which I didn't use as I didn't like it, but we'll get used to it. Xxx

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abelbeyene2015