Increased urination at night -

longlostfan

Aug 14, 2016
about a week ago my husband (77 diagnosed with AD) suddenly had problems getting to the loo on time during the day and was peeing himself. I rang docs as I thought it might be a urinary infection and she prescribed antibiotics and I took a sample of his urine into the surgery. Since then he's been better during the day but his night time loo visits have increased dramatically, at least every hour and although he's been wearing incontinence pants he seems to wet himself before he gets to the loo every time. Although he's always had to get up 2 or 3 times this is something new and obviously results in disturbed sleep for us all. Although I've tried to make sure he's not drinking anything after early evening his urine output at night seems to really have increased if the wetness of the pants/pajama bottoms is anything to go by. Shall be ringing the docs again today but wonder what could have suddenly caused this increased output. He's been on 10mg of donepezil for over a year.

longlostfan

Aug 14, 2016
Could the UTI still be lingering?
Hi there, thanks for replying - have just rung the docs and the urine sample was clear so it wasn't an UTI. The minute he's getting up he's having to pee again - God knows where it's all coming from. Am arranging for a nurse to come and take some blood samples in the next day or so as the doc seems to think it could be a prostate problem. The trouble is that my husband can't remember this constant night peeing at all, so frustrating for us all really but that's the disease I suppose.

maryw

Nov 16, 2008
Surrey
My husband has this problem. Your husband probably needs a PSA blood test, which reveals the level of hormone in the body and whether it is prostate related. You might want to look into saw palmetto supplements, which seem to help.

philamillan

Feb 26, 2015
Maybe he has chronic retention of urine.

This means that his bladder is not emptying properly each time, usually because of prostate problems.

GP Surgery should be able to do a bladder scan after he has passed urine to check.

Is he constipated?

longlostfan

Aug 14, 2016
My husband has this problem. Your husband probably needs a PSA blood test, which reveals the level of hormone in the body and whether it is prostate related. You might want to look into saw palmetto supplements, which seem to help.
Thanks - have now had blood test results back and the PSA came back ok as did all the other results. Last night the problem started again after a few nights improvement. Doc visited yesterday and did a health check - and is now going to prescribe a medication which limits the urge to urinate/decreases urine? Shall see how that works.

longlostfan

Aug 14, 2016
Maybe he has chronic retention of urine.

This means that his bladder is not emptying properly each time, usually because of prostate problems.

GP Surgery should be able to do a bladder scan after he has passed urine to check.

Is he constipated?
Thanks - no he's not constipated and test for prostate etc came back clear. He's been prescribed some meds which apparently limit the production of urine. Shall see if that works.

Casbow

Sep 3, 2013
Colchester
Thanks - have now had blood test results back and the PSA came back ok as did all the other results. Last night the problem started again after a few nights improvement. Doc visited yesterday and did a health check - and is now going to prescribe a medication which limits the urge to urinate/decreases urine? Shall see how that works.
My husband developed this problem. I didn't think it was possible that someone could wee so much overnight. In his case he was already in pullups and those and the bed covers under and over him where satuarated. In the end the doctor prescribed tablets but they didn't work. So I spent a lot of money on protectors for everything. It even used to seep upwards to the pillows. In the end I was washing nearly all the bedding every day. He is now in a care home and I think the problem is the same. No idea what causes it or what you can do. He never had prostrate tested though. Sorry i can't be helpful.xxx

longlostfan

Aug 14, 2016
My husband developed this problem. I didn't think it was possible that someone could wee so much overnight. In his case he was already in pullups and those and the bed covers under and over him where satuarated. In the end the doctor prescribed tablets but they didn't work. So I spent a lot of money on protectors for everything. It even used to seep upwards to the pillows. In the end I was washing nearly all the bedding every day. He is now in a care home and I think the problem is the same. No idea what causes it or what you can do. He never had prostrate tested though. Sorry i can't be helpful.xxx
Oh dear, that must have been so hard to deal with and thanks for replying. I'm not sure where this is all going with my husband - he's had a bit of a problem for a long time but it does seem to be getting worse. He started on the meds last night, and in fact he didn't seem to be so bad - he is managing to get out of the bed and get to the bathroom at least and then wets himself before he reaches the toilet sometimes but the fact that his urine output has suddenly increased so much at night is worrying. The doctor vaguely mentioned "irritable bladder" in the absence I suppose of any other diagnosis. And in fact although I don't really know all the precise stages of AD, he is probably at early to mid stage in terms of behaviour. I am finding the whole thing depressing as I'm sure does everyone else on this forum. So hard isn't it? My best wishes to you xx

ridunian

Aug 27, 2014
Hello long lost fan , I don't have any advice for you but I am following your thread as my husband 79, is having to get up some nights every hour ,not making it to the toilet ,having to mop the floors during the night etc. and this has only just started suddenly for no reason , he has been tested for prostrate etc. but all came back ok . I have tried limiting drink after 6pm , I have also tried a warm milky drink before he goes to bed 8pm (not such a good idea but then you try anything don't you !) It is all so tiring , especially when they do not remember in the morning .

longlostfan

Aug 14, 2016
Hello long lost fan , I don't have any advice for you but I am following your thread as my husband 79, is having to get up some nights every hour ,not making it to the toilet ,having to mop the floors during the night etc. and this has only just started suddenly for no reason , he has been tested for prostrate etc. but all came back ok . I have tried limiting drink after 6pm , I have also tried a warm milky drink before he goes to bed 8pm (not such a good idea but then you try anything don't you !) It is all so tiring , especially when they do not remember in the morning .
So sorry I missed your response to my post, started on another thread about something else and have just seen your reply. Yes it's extremely tiring isn't it as they don't remember and my OH looks a bit disbelieving even tho the evidence is there! I have tried to limit drinks pm too but he often gets a glass of milk later out of the fridge, I try to tell him it's not a good idea. Doc has prescribed some pills which he's had for about a week, but he's still having accidents. Will wait and see if there's any improvement and will let you know. Incidentally I've seen online that apparently a handful of raisins at night can be beneficial. Sounds strange but I'm trying that, probably grasping at straws but there you go.

Annypurple

May 6, 2015

This is the same for me. My husband saturated every night, spent a fortune on protective sheets, but still changing bed twice a night and then washing all day - I couldn't sleep, or cope so he's recently gone into a nursing home, sad but it was him or me (and it's still the same in the nursing home - he saturates every night but there they have the staff and the laundry roon)! I had him tested for prostrate and this wasn't the problem, nor UTI and the GP said dementia upsets the body day/night balances which explained why he was weeing at night - but I think something else has to explain the AMOUNT of wee - I stopped him drinking any caffine and nothing after 5pm. It was a mystery and I'm really sorry Longlostfan, I can't suggest anything!

Wishful

Nov 28, 2014
I have the same problem with my DH. I just kept taking him back to the doctor's. As one lot of medication didn't work another would be prescribed. Eventually my Husband was referred to urologist. After having yet more medication he's going for a urodynamics at the x-ray dept.

It maybe that there is nothing that can be done but until the medical profession tell me that I will continue to try and get a solution.

Heavenly Blossom

Oct 19, 2017
Hi there, I have only just become a member and there will be a fairly good chance that someone else may have written with this same input, so forgive me for the duplication.
One of the side effects of the drug Donepezil, is *uncontrollable passing of urine* my husband has just had his meds changed in the hope of alleviating this problem

about a week ago my husband (77 diagnosed with AD) suddenly had problems getting to the loo on time during the day and was peeing himself. I rang docs as I thought it might be a urinary infection and she prescribed antibiotics and I took a sample of his urine into the surgery. Since then he's been better during the day but his night time loo visits have increased dramatically, at least every hour and although he's been wearing incontinence pants he seems to wet himself before he gets to the loo every time. Although he's always had to get up 2 or 3 times this is something new and obviously results in disturbed sleep for us all. Although I've tried to make sure he's not drinking anything after early evening his urine output at night seems to really have increased if the wetness of the pants/pajama bottoms is anything to go by. Shall be ringing the docs again today but wonder what could have suddenly caused this increased output. He's been on 10mg of donepezil for over a year.

longlostfan

Aug 14, 2016
Hi everyone, thanks for all your responses. The medication the doc has given my husband is betmiga and she started on a low dose with a view to increasing it after a month. Well, he’s still having to get up several times a night, sometimes making it in time, sometimes not, and is wearing incontinence pants every night which usually leak through. This is not good for either of us. It does seem particularly bad at night. His mobility is bad too owing to arthritis etc so he can’t exactly hurry!
It’s interesting Heavenly Blossom that you mentioned the side effect of donezepil, I read this too and although he’s been on this for a year I would say that he has definitely had increased problems with urination, tho nothing like as bad as lately. I shall mention this to the doctor as the first lot of betmiga is nearly gone - tho apparently it can take a while to kick in.
@ridunian, I hope the raisins help - I need to get some more actually, tho I’m not sure if they have made much difference!
@Wishful, yes I think I am also going to keep trying to push for a solution - it’s been suggested by the doc that this could be an “irritable bladder” - well, it’s a huge problem and very stressful for all of us who are dealing with it as everyone’s posts point out, and there is a limit to all of us carers coping with all the washing, disturbed nights etc as well as the person who has the bladder problems.
Let’s keep posting with any ideas/solutions (we hope!) .

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alister