How can I make sure my husband can get help in an emergency?

Paarl

Sep 18, 2017
I am concerned that if my husband was home alone he wouldn't be able to get help if he needed to.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello Paarl
welcome to TP
I'm guessing that your husband is no longer able to dial 999 on a house phone or mobile and make it clear what would be needed - even if you had a dedicated button he would just have to press once
if he would be able to press an alarm button on a pendant, there are services such as telecare - the person wears an alarm and if it is pressed this is picked up by a call centre who use a speaker system linked to the landline to speak to the person and decide whether another call needs to be made to family and 999 - I had this for my dad and it worked well until he wasn't really aware of what the button was for, or even what an emergency was
to be honest, if your husband isn't able to deal with an emergency, then really it's best not to leave him at home on his own
have you had an assessment of his care needs from your Local Authority Adult Services - he has a right to this, as you have to a carer's assessment - it might be that some support would be suggested eg home care visits, a sitter/befriender, time at a day centre and respite - and I got the telecare system through dad's LA as they will also look at any aids that may help in your home
best wishes

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
I am concerned that if my husband was home alone he wouldn't be able to get help if he needed to.

You need something like
https://www.careline.co.uk/?gclid=CO2W74uKr9YCFc-37QodfLMASQ
or
http://www.ageuk.org.uk/products/in...Vr7ztCh2zSQ19EAAYASAAEgJ6XfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

First enquire of the local authority they will most likely has an arrangement with a provider and be able to get a discount, or even free subject to a means test.

Also think about an external key safe so that first responders can gain access.

My neighbour has an AgeUK system and if she triggers it I am at the top of the list to go and she what's happened, if I don't answer the phone they move down the list, I also inform them if I will be away for any length of time and unable to respond.

Amble

Jun 5, 2007
Surrey UK
A Key Safe beside your front door is an excellent idea. If you also have a pendant for your Dad, make sure the people who supply it have the code to the key safe.
Also, as others have said, your Local Authority should be able to provide advice and help. Try to find out how to contact your adult social services for an assessment. These days there are quite advanced technologies for 'tracking' those with dementia.
One word of advice BE PERSISTENT! Living as we do in Sheltered Housing, which has no Warden, we have found that to obtain real help for anyone here one has to simply 'not go away' until satisfactory results are given. It doesn't make one feel good to be so persistent but it is necessary. I wish you well.:)