Tracy

Twilightj

Sep 21, 2017
We are having a problem getting my Mom to change her clothes, she was diagnosed 3 years ago so in early stage, she's capable of dressing and believes she doesn't need help at all . However when she gets up she puts on what she wore the previous day/s, I've tried laying out clothes on the chair by her bed, but when she undresses the evening before, she puts them on the chair too, covering what I've put out. I don't live with her so its too late when I see her to persuade her to change her clothes? She seems to latch on to a particular outfit and any effort to persuade her to put another one on, comes up against resistance. Do I have to upset her by saying that her clothes smell?

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
I was fortunate in a weird way... my Mum was sight impaired so I could exaggerate the splashes or stains..... but yes, I did tell her that her clothes smelled once or twice. If I called on her and we were going out, I could get her to change into outdoor outfits and put the dirty into the laundry basket and every few weeks I would have a "Re-Sort" of her wardrobe and put all the soiled clothes from there in the wash.... she would change into house clothes even if she'd only been out for 5 minutes and re - hang the worn clothes back in the cupboard.

There is no other practical way, short of being there at night when her clothes are taken off.:rolleyes:

Twilightj

Sep 21, 2017
Thank you, I think i'm going to have to be cruel to be kind

I was fortunate in a weird way... my Mum was sight impaired so I could exaggerate the splashes or stains..... but yes, I did tell her that her clothes smelled once or twice. If I called on her and we were going out, I could get her to change into outdoor outfits and put the dirty into the laundry basket and every few weeks I would have a "Re-Sort" of her wardrobe and put all the soiled clothes from there in the wash.... she would change into house clothes even if she'd only been out for 5 minutes and re - hang the worn clothes back in the cupboard.

There is no other practical way, short of being there at night when her clothes are taken off.:rolleyes:

Thank you