can't seem to remember how to drink, and has suddenly become so tiny

Julia B

Apr 13, 2015
Mil needs constantly reminding to drink, hubby is her carer and she lives with us, she gets coffee and has little lemonades and a glass of Ribena, but it's like she forgets how to drink.She's eating okay but is so so tiny now, almost always looks lost and rarely able to read or watch tv, its like the link isn't there any more, rarely knows who people are except me and hubby ( but if we leave the room and come back from our lounge she'll ask who we were) - this is in the last 3 weeks, any advice please, how can I help her? I'm so worried, she barely sleeps yet looks exhausted, thinks her parents are still alive, and that her grandson is her brother...her other son stopped visiting, she's gone he said...she isn't, I make her laugh when I sing and dance in the kitchen, or when hubby runs about with the dog...what could we do, please?

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi Julia B
a worry for you
I haven't had this really with dad, though sometimes I have to show him how to lift the beaker and put it to his mouth, then tell him to drink, as though the process bewilders him - once he starts, he's OK
have a chat with your mum's GP and ask for a referral to the SALT as they can check whether there is a problem with her swallow and they may have advice to help
so good that you can still share laughter
best wishes

Kjn

Jul 27, 2013
My dad goes through phases with drinking , he can either drink juice from a glass holding it himself, problem there is he forgets to stop and can be out of breath...or to not being able to hold anything and blowing down a straw instead of sucking.
If he can't recall sucking , I drip a little juice into his mouth and give him the straw again, he usually then starts to suck.
Just depends on the day, he would never remember to drink himself though.

lemonjuice

Jun 15, 2016
England
Mil needs constantly reminding to drink, hubby is her carer and she lives with us, she gets coffee and has little lemonades and a glass of Ribena, but it's like she forgets how to drink.She's eating okay but is so so tiny now, almost always looks lost and rarely able to read or watch tv, its like the link isn't there any more, rarely knows who people are except me and hubby ( but if we leave the room and come back from our lounge she'll ask who we were) - this is in the last 3 weeks, any advice please, how can I help her? I'm so worried, she barely sleeps yet looks exhausted, thinks her parents are still alive, and that her grandson is her brother...her other son stopped visiting, she's gone he said...she isn't, I make her laugh when I sing and dance in the kitchen, or when hubby runs about with the dog...what could we do, please?

My mother lost the ability to recognise food and drink well over 3 and a half years ago and therefore has to be reminded and 'stimulated' to swallow with every mouthful/sip as she doesn't automatically realise she has to swallow. You need to get a SALT referral, as an emergency and they will be able to help you.

Sitting someone upright with chin tucked down for feeding and leaving them in that position for at least half an hour will help protect against aspiration. Stroking her cheek/ throat may 'revive' the autonomic response. (There are other things one can do but I'm not going to go into details here because they can be quite upsetting to read.)

Obviously pureed food and there are many different consistencies of this, as there are with thickened liquids to help their swallow.

You will need to allow 45 mins up to an hour, possibly more, for each meal. My mother currently takes about 25-30 mins to 'drink' 100mls of any drink, as she has to be reminded/stimulated to swallow and then check that it has actually gone down before offering the next. She's been on this routine for many years now and each meal now takes well over an hour. With having to give drinks for hydration every couple of hours, you can see how easily just the feeding/ taking in fluids aspect takes up most of the day.

Last edited:

Rageddy Anne

Feb 21, 2013
Cotswolds
My mother lost the ability to recognise food and drink well over 3 and a half years ago and therefore has to be reminded and 'stimulated' to swallow with every mouthful/sip as she doesn't automatically realise she has to swallow. You need to get a SALT referral, as an emergency and they will be able to help you.

Sitting someone upright with chin tucked down for feeding and leaving them in that position for at least half an hour will help protect against aspiration. Stroking her cheek/ throat may 'revive' the autonomic response. (There are other things one can do but I'm not going to go into details here because they can be quite upsetting to read.)

Obviously pureed food and there are many different consistencies of this, as there are with thickened liquids to help their swallow.

You will need to allow 45 mins up to an hour, possibly more, for each meal. My mother currently takes about 25-30 mins to 'drink' 100mls of any drink, as she has to be reminded/stimulated to swallow and then check that it has actually gone down before offering the next. She's been on this routine for many years now and each meal now takes well over an hour. With having to give drinks for hydration every couple of hours, you can see how easily just the feeding/ taking in fluids aspect takes up most of the day.

I'd been wondering and worrying why my husband, in his Care home, has been sitting in what looks like an uncomfortable position, chin on chest, and you have just explained it Lemonjuice. THANKYOU.
I've been taking him squares of watermelon, and he manages those well, and yesterday I tried small chunks of ripe mango and he managed to chew slightly. He can still manage a drink of tea, held to his mouth and given in sips...Sometimes he forgets how to swallow, and dribbles it out, so he needs an absorbent flannel under his chin to catch the liquid.