No one will say what stage of dementia my mother has

sumix

Apr 22, 2016
My mother is almost 94 and in a care home. She has Vascular dementia, she has had it for 3 years, but seems to have deteriorated rapidly over last 12 months, she has now taken to her bed and will only get out to go to the loo. The carers try to encourage her and so do I but she won't budge.

Please help.

lemonjuice

Jun 15, 2016
England
My mother is almost 94 and in a care home. She has Vascular dementia, she has had it for 3 years, but seems to have deteriorated rapidly over last 12 months, she has now taken to her bed and will only get out to go to the loo. The carers try to encourage her and so do I but she won't budge.

Please help.

No-one will probably say because it can be difficult to 'stage' individuals. Vascular Dementia sufferers experience different symptoms earlier and not everyone goes through them at the same rate. Sometimes they 'straddle' different stages.

Actually personally I haven't found 'staging my mother to be particularly helpful. When I read that end stage is when they are nearing death and then subdivide stage 7 into stages a-f, each of which can last between a year to 18 months, that is not what I would class as 'near death'.

My mother, also with Vascular dementia, has been unable to weight-bear or walk at all for over 4 years now. She stopped talking over 3 years ago and spends most of her days staring at the ceiling or into space. Earlier on at the beginning of the year she didn't even do that and was either sleeping or kept her eyes closed.

Sounds as if your mother is still 'functioning' quite well, but just doesn't want to interact any more with a world which seems to make little sense.

I'd suggest that if she's still aware enough of a need to go to the loo, remembers where it is and what to do when she gets there, does suggest she's somewhere around early mid stage.

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
If by stage you are sort of wondering " how much more can she take?" "How much longer?" then sadly, the answer is " a piece of string. Despite her very advanced age, your Mum sounds to be a strong lady and in some ways she is to be admired for having found a path that suits her.

I hope she is at peace in her mind, what ever her awareness levels are, and I'm sure that you will spend quality time with her, ( even if the conversations are a bit bizarre at times!).

The listed stages are only ever a guide as you may have gathered by now,no two cases are the same.

sumix

Apr 22, 2016
Many thanks for your replies. Yes I agree she is strong because 6 weeks ago she had pneumonia then whilst in hospital had 2 heart attacks. Dr's gave her 24-48 hours but she rallied round.

Mum knows who I am once I start speaking and I go too see her every day. If I try telling her about grandchildren or anything that has happened in the family, she either ignore me or says she doesn't want to know, all she keeps repeating is I'm tired and want to lie down, even though she is lying in bed. Mum was always a placid lady but know she can be very nasty, I have learnt now not to take it personally but it's hard.

Witzend

Aug 29, 2007
SW London
If the poor old thing is 94, with dementia, and says she's tired, then frankly I would leave her be. Especially when she's recently been so poorly.

Yes, I know it's 'better' to be out of bed, but at 94 I do think that anyone who feels tired enough to want to stay in bed should be allowed to do so.
BTW in later stages my mother was not remotely interested in anything about the family, either. She simply couldn't be bothered with anything much at all, or maybe it was just that her brain couldn't cope with it.

Dino

Aug 7, 2011
I asked the same question. My mum lies in bed, cannot communicate and has to be fed.
What a terrible disease it is.

philamillan

Feb 26, 2015
Yes I agree she is strong because 6 weeks ago she had pneumonia then whilst in hospital had 2 heart attacks. Dr's gave her 24-48 hours but she rallied round.

Hi Sumix.

You are probably right to be concerned about her deterioration recently. However I suspect that the deterioration has been much more over the past 6 weeks.

There is possibly an element of delirium associated after having such a serious illness. This just means she will be more confused than normal. Only about a third will come back to the level that they were before. Be prepared that this is her new baseline.

Additionally, because she had so much happening while in hospital I would bet that she has at least 4 new drugs prescribed. Her feeling tired could be a side effect. I think the beta blockers would be the culprit.

Just ask her GP to review her medication and keep a close eye on her symptoms.

Keep the faith.

sumix

Apr 22, 2016
Thanks all, GP came out yesterday and has taken her off all meds as she doesn't think they will do any good now apart from fill her body with toxins. Mum is now on palliative/end of life care and the care home have ordered her a ripple mattress, she told myself and my brother today to stop talking as it was loud and she wanted to lie down and go too sleep. Bless her she was in bed.
Once again thanks for replies.x

DollyBird16

Sep 5, 2017
Greater London
Hi
A difficult time for you I can only imagine.
I love that Mums always stays Mums - asking you to be quiet.
I'm thinking of you, yours and Mum. X

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abba