My Mothers cleaniness especially having a bath and hair wash

Michy

Jun 17, 2015
My mother is 85 and was diagnosed with alzheimers in 2015. She has lived in a care home since 2014. Our problem is, the fact my mother will not take a bath, change her clothes or have her hair washed. The care home have tried to encourage her into the bath, as I have and we have also tried every trick in the book to try and get her hair washed. So far since 2014, she has taken one bath and has only had her hair washed about 6 times. Her hair is so matted, the hair grip is embedded into her hair and her white hair is turning a shade of green ! I have even had the Doctor write a letter to her explaining that she should bathe twice a week. She just said the letter was for someone else and not her. We are at our wits end. Has anyone else experienced this and how was it dealt with. I would very much appreciate your comments.

Rosettastone57

Oct 27, 2016
My mother is 85 and was diagnosed with alzheimers in 2015. She has lived in a care home since 2014. Our problem is, the fact my mother will not take a bath, change her clothes or have her hair washed. The care home have tried to encourage her into the bath, as I have and we have also tried every trick in the book to try and get her hair washed. So far since 2014, she has taken one bath and has only had her hair washed about 6 times. Her hair is so matted, the hair grip is embedded into her hair and her white hair is turning a shade of green ! I have even had the Doctor write a letter to her explaining that she should bathe twice a week. She just said the letter was for someone else and not her. We are at our wits end. Has anyone else experienced this and how was it dealt with. I would very much appreciate your comments.

My MIL has home carers so not quite the same situation but she refuses all help with hair washing. She hasn't washed her hair since 2013 even with encouraging dry shampoo. In fact she has only had strip washes since 2014. I don't fret over it. It just causes aggression otherwise from her.

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
Hi Michy and welcome to TP.

I'm afraid this is a common situation with our PWDs (persons with dementia). Have the home tried helping with a strip wash, or using wet wipes?

As far as the hair is concerned, would your mother tolerate on of the 'shower cap' hair washes such as this https://www.completecareshop.co.uk/bathing-aids/hair-washing-aids/shampoo-cap-no-rinse It works for some people especially if, like the wet wipes, it is warmed first.

Michy

Jun 17, 2015
My MIL has home carers so not quite the same situation but she refuses all help with hair washing. She hasn't washed her hair since 2013 even with encouraging dry shampoo. In fact she has only had strip washes since 2014. I don't fret over it. It just causes aggression otherwise from her.

Thank you for your reply. It sounds very similar. My mum will only have a strip wash if she has to and has now started wearing multiple layers of soiled clothing! She has been wearing the same pair of socks for the last 10 months. It's encouraging to know we are not alone.

Debs42

Jan 27, 2013
I cant help really, except to say that reluctance to wash seems to be a common symptom. My husband still lives a good life at home, but I have to cajole him to shower sometimes and hair washing can be a trial - the typical type of response is "I washed it last week, why do I have to do it again?!" He always used to be fastidious about his appearance.
I would have thought the care home should have some kind of strategy rather than just letting it go?

Pickle2510

Jul 22, 2016
Much the same here!

I know the advice to carers is to leave the PWD to it, but knowing how my mum used to take pride in herself, it's hard to say nothing.
Today, I cajoled her into having a hair wash, but the anger and annoyance I get back is making me wonder if it's worth the aggravation.
Keep going until you run out of options I guess.
Good luck

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abba