Pension credit and residential care

SharonLyons

Dec 10, 2006
Ilford, Essex
Is my mum still allowed to be paid pension credit even though she has gone into a care home which is being funded by local authority? I wrote to pensions department explaining everything and her pension credit was stopped for a few weeks which I fully expected. Then she was paid a lump sum and now she is back to being paid a weekly amount. Her attendance allowance has been stopped (again fully expected) so she is getting a normal state pension, plus pension credit plus a very small pension from my dad's past employment. She has to contribute to the home out of this money but it will leave her with a very good amount each month. I am so worried that she is being paid something that she is not entitled to and will have to pay back a lump sum some time in the future so I am just putting it away in case. I phoned pensions department again and was told that pension credit doesn't stop because someone has gone into a care home but it still doesn't seem right to me.
Sharon x

Sandy

Mar 23, 2005
Hi Sharon,

Take a look at this website (about half-way down the page):

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/HealthAndWellBeing/HealthServices/CareHomes/DG_10031411

Income Support and Pension Credit
If your move into a care home will be permanent and you are claiming Income Support or Pension Credit as a couple, you should now claim as separate individuals.
Your local council will expect you to claim any Income Support or Pension Credit that you are entitled to and will help you apply. These benefits will count as income when your contribution to your care home fees is assessed.
If your stay is temporary you can continue to claim Income Support or Pension Credit for up to 52 weeks.

So it sounds as is she is entitled to it, but the payments are included as assessed income.

Take care,

Sandy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tori_75