Anti- anxiety medication

Gary01

Jun 19, 2017
Birmingham
Could anyone with experience of prescribed anti anxiety medication for alzheimer's please advise me of any side effects or anything else that I should be aware of as a result of taking such medication ?.
I haven't spoken to the doctor yet but feel this is likely to be the course of action suggested when I relay the circumstances concerning my mother and our present situation.
Many thanks Gary

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Everyone reacts differently to medications. My husband was on a couple of different things for anxiety and agitation, which were at the more extreme end of the scale. He was also on a good dose of anti psychotics. Thankfully, he never had any unwanted side affects from any of the medications he was on. They didn't even make him drowsy. All they did was calm his agitation and anxiety, and deal with his paranoia and hallucinations, so he had a couple of fairly good, contented years at home that he would not otherwise have had.

MERENAME

Jun 4, 2013
scotland
Mum takes mirtazapine for anxiety and whilst others have had different experiences it's worked really well for her. I wish she had started it sooner. I think these drugs are very hit or miss and the timing and dosage is very important but for Mum it's been a Godsend.

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
My mum has vascular dementia and is taking 30mg of the anti depressant Mirtazapine. It used to have the side effect of making her sleepy, a desired one which is why initially taken at night, but this no longer happens and so now takes during the afternoon does deal with some of her anxieties though.

Side effects really are hit or miss and you will not know until tried. It may be that you will try a few medications before finding the right one, When this process starts keep a record of behaviour. read and reread that side effects list so you know exactly what to look for. Some unwanted side effects disappear after a few weeks.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zoobix