Lasting Power of Attorney "credit card" type as proof of LPA

KayceyP

Aug 4, 2016
In this age of technology for purchasing and identification would it not be possible for the Court to create an identity card for LPA's?

It can be expensive and frustrating to have to produce official copies of LPA's as authorisation for banks, hospitals, doctors, utilities etc. Organisations like the NHS do not appear to have a protocol as to how LPA information is shared.

If each card had a security code and identification number they could be made secure with an official protocol for use.

Any thoughts?

irismary

Feb 7, 2015
West Midlands
My thought had been a one page certificate, like a birth or marriage certificate, which could be verified via an online system which financial and other official organisations can register with to use - a bit like CRB checks (or whatever they are now called). Also one set procedure for them to follow - i have had some who are happy with a photocopy as they check with Office of the Public Guardian, some want the certified copy - one company did not want to return it!, and another also want a certified copy of my passport to prove who I am as well as certified copy of the POA. It is expensive to do, expensive to get certified copies and no set process when you get it. It could be much simpler than it is without compromising security. Odd that so much is put in place to check financial matters but no-one ever checked the quality of the care i provided.

BeardyD

Jan 19, 2016
Anyone can check if an LPA exists and details of the attorney by submitting form OPG100 to the Office of the Public Guardian. It's a free service which has been available since 2013. I assume banks etc don't use it because of the delay and because of the extra work for them.

It is my understanding that the OPG are working on a system that will allow LPAs to the checked on-line (although I can't find it now). It will work in a similar way to driving licence checks when you hire a car. https://www.gov.uk/view-driving-licence. You will go to the OPG website and, having identified yourself, generate a check code which is valid for 21 days. You can then give the check code to whoever you want so they can use it to check the LPA.

I've no idea of the timescale but the OPG do seem to be improving at quite a good pace for a government department. You can be reasonable certain that banks will take 20 years to accept it.