bedding sleeping and incontinence

malengwa

Jan 26, 2017
Hi there. In need of some advice. Mum hasn't slept in her bed for many months although she thinks she does. She is a bit incontinent and is developing rashes around her bottom area. The district nurse has said she must sleep in bed to prevent sores. She is currently in respite care until next weekend and they have managed to get her to go to bed but she is wet every morning. She does wear pads but obviously not quite absorbent enough. My concern is how to protect her side of the bed when she comes home. Dad has enough washing to do without the extra worry of washing sheets every day. Can anyone advise anything? I've looked at various pads but wonder if they stay in place if mum fidgets?
I'm even wondering if mum should have her own bed but no idea where it would go. I'm not sure dad would want to share a bed with her any more!

It's frustrating that the incontinence clinic has said she isn't bad enough to warrant pads on prescription so it is currently costing a small fortune!
advice appreciated.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
I use single Kylie sheets on John's side of the bed. Put them long ways with the wings under the pillow and at the foot. They overlap the edge of the bed in case of spillage when he gets up. My husband only has sporadic incontinence but with two Kylie sheets to change if one gets wet I feel the bed is protected.

I also use a carpet protector which is eight feet of non slip plastic from the side of his bed to his shower room. I bought them from A***** I'm afraid. I hate to encourage them but they are so darned efficient they are hard to beat.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
They're just listed as single and yes they do stay in place. I dare say if a person wanted to move them around they could but we haven't had a problem so far. In a single bed they would go across and tuck under but put on long ways on one side of a double bed they work fine.

arielsmelody

Jul 16, 2015
Would there be room for two single beds rather than your mum & dad sharing a double? It would make night time incontinence much easier to deal with.

onlyme1

Sep 10, 2011
scarborough
my parents now have 2 single beds with separate bedding but pushed together. they took their own double bed when going into the care home 4 yrs ago, now they've gone into the singles as even with kylies one or another were being disturbed when there was incontinence. it seems to work quite well. x

knoxy07

Sep 14, 2011
nottingham
I used to buy the tenna Bed pads, there £7 from Sainsbury's for 10 I think, the colour is green, or ask the DN for more absorbent pad, green?
purple are the most absorbent,
I used to use blue for day time, green for bed time and buy the pack of purple online,
Type incontience shop into google, they're really good.

malengwa

Jan 26, 2017
Thanks. I've thought about the bed situation but need a solution immediately and dad would need persuading to part with money for a new bed..that might come later when it's disturbing his sleep!
I find it infuriating that the incontinence clinic don't think mum is bad enough to get anything on prescription and it's all costing a small for tune.
Dad has asked me to get disposable as he's already washing clothes 3 times a day.
I think this will be the thing that tips him into wanting permanent care.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Classy@1951