Council Tax

lacey1962

Jan 9, 2016
Crawley
Hi
My mum has dementia and has been excluded from paying council tax due to her severe mental impairment. My brother who is 63 is thinking of moving in with her. Will he have to pay the full amount of council tax. He does not carers allowance as I receive it as her main carer for the past 3 years. Does anyone know what he will be expected to pay.
Many thanks
Sally

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Hi Sally
As far as I know he will be liable for 75% of the full CT rate, 100% for living there less 25% as a single person as the person with the SMI is disregarded.
There are qualifying benefits that could mean he doesn't count either but the rules vary between all of the 4 countries in the UK so comments may vary if this is Scotland, NI, Wales or England, the rules appear to differ.
K

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
You cannot be disregarded from council tax as a spouse for someone with the SMI disregard, but as a son/daughter living with and caring for that person you very much can. Contact the council.

http://www.carersuk.org/help-and-ad...th-household-finances/council-tax-rate-relief

To be ‘disregarded’ as a carer, you must meet all the following criteria:

you must provide care for at least 35 hours a week
you must live in the same property as the person you care for
you must not be the spouse or partner of the person you care for, or their parent if you care for a child under 18
the person you care for must receive either the middle or higher rate of the care component of Disability Living Allowance (only the higher rate in Scotland), the daily living component of Personal Independence Payment at any rate (only the enhanced rate in Scotland), Attendance Allowance at any rate (only the higher rate in Scotland), Armed Forces Independence Payment or the highest rate of Constant Attendance Allowance

You do not have to claim Carer’s Allowance to qualify for this discount, and your income and savings will not affect your eligibility. If there is more than one carer in the property, they can both be disregarded for council tax purposes as long as they all meet the conditions.

If, after taking into account disregarded people, there are no residents who would ‘count’ for council tax a 50% discount is applied to the bill.

Last edited: