Somebody else's glasses

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hendy, brilliant news that your dad is now taking fluids again, and is more settled.

I hope you managed to enjoy your break, in spite of the worry. It's impossible to switch off completely, isn't it?

Love,

hendy

Feb 20, 2008
West Yorkshire
Dear Hazel and all reading
Thanks for your message Hazel. Thankfully dad has continued to improve, he is now taking lots of fluids and is beginning to eat. They have sat him in the quiet lounge, which is better for him when he's agitated and paranoid. He seems to be responding to dementia nursing etc. Having rung the home tonight, I am reassured that they are continuing to strive for improvements in Dads general condition. I was sorry that I couldn't get to see him tonight, as had other family and work commitments.
take care
hendy

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
Dear Hendy,

What good news that dad is making small improvements. I am so pleased that at last, some good news is coming your way. It sounds like all your hard work in getting dad into the right home for his needs is now paying off big time. Well done my love.

xxTinaT

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Dear Hendy

The care home seems to be doing whatever possible to encourage your father to eat and drink.

It makes me wonder why they are not as conscientious about his glasses.

I don`t wish to upset you further, but is there a chance he has reached a stage in his condition where his glasses no longer help?

The home is being so good with food and fluids, perhaps they are not being particularly negligent with his glasses, if perhaps your father no longer registers what he sees.

Sorry if I`ve got it wrong.

Love xx

hendy

Feb 20, 2008
West Yorkshire
Dear Tina and Sylvia
Thanks for your messages. I think the glasses was possibly a 'one off' Dad is definately in his own world, thats for sure. When he does try to talk its very difficult to understand. He was very well spoken and eloquent before his illness, and now he speaks phrases that sound as they should make sense, but dont! The glasses issue, well Sylvia its difficult to judge the value of them in some ways. Dad has very poor eyesight, he is long sighted ,so looking at things and people in the same room would casue great difficulties. I have a similar sight problem myself, and cannot see near objects without my lenses in. I think that despite his decline in faculties, it would make him feel more confused. I think this was more of a issue when he was mobile, because of his unsteadiness and frailty when getting about.
The home have done well I think to bring him round. Lets hope they can keep up the high standards of the previous manager.
take care
hendy

hendy

Feb 20, 2008
West Yorkshire
I have just logged on to read this thread again.
Sadly my lovely Dad passed away on Tuesday morning. It was sudden and painless and in his sleep. A blessing. He had been saved from the final ravages of this terrible disease in its last stages. I can now properly grieve for Dad and right now just feel a strong sense of relief and am flooded with long lost memories of when he was well.

Dad spent a peaceful four years at this carehome and was treated with compassion and respect. His latter years were peaceful, and after all the terrible experiences that he went through, deserved no less.

A couple of years ago the 'authority' decided that he no longer met the criteria for a place at the home. He was passive, bed bound and on no medication. I saw red. I explained to the consultant trying to persuade me to move dad to another care home 10 miles away, that if he had read allmy dads medical history, he would have realised that my dad needed some peace in his latter years. He needed to stay in this home. Just to hammer home the point a bit further I also explained that on at least 2 occasions Dad had been hospitalised in emergency conditions due to medical negligence. I further explained that I had not pursued action at the time because I was too stressed out. but if they moved him out of this home it would be the first thing I would do. I never heard anything more about the proposed move ever again.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Hendy, I am so sorry to hear your news, but so pleased you were able to obtain for your father some measure of peace in his last years.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I'm sorry to hear of your dad's passing but he is at peace now. Sending my condolences and wishing you strength for the days to come. x