Feeling helpless

6FNAUTICLUB

Dec 26, 2015
Posted a few days ago, Mum having had aspiration pneumonia and a weak swallow and weak cough reflex. Since being back at Care Home, there's not been any real improvement, despite Doc saying chest clear and no need for further antibiotics. When she does cough, it's sounds very chesty and she isn't eating very much because it is such an effort to eat and she is still very weak and sleepy and her voice seems husky the last couple of days.

We have been going into Care Home at lunchtime and again at tea time, initially to feed Mum but last couple of days we have got her to feed herself, but it's so sad to watch her, and you can see the frustration in her eyes when the food, namely soup, yoghurt or custard just sits in her mouth.

Mum is still very frail, and pale but, whereas we have thought on several occasions, she won't be long for this world, the Care Home don't seem overly concerned - not having any experience of VD before and this change happening so quickly, we feel helpless to know what we should be doing - should we accept that this is the disease and Mum could be like this for months, and go back to our normal visits of twice a week - I just feel when I look at her that she surely can't take much more!?

Is this normal?

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
I'm sorry to hear about your mum. I'm afraid I haven't experience of this situation, but wonder if she has been seen recently by the SALT team? They might have advice and information for you. Best wishes to you and your family.

6FNAUTICLUB

Dec 26, 2015
I'm sorry to hear about your mum. I'm afraid I haven't experience of this situation, but wonder if she has been seen recently by the SALT team? They might have advice and information for you. Best wishes to you and your family.

Thank you - SALT are coming out next Friday xx