End of life how long can she keep going

Bonnieweelass

Jul 18, 2017
Hi my grandmother is in the final stage of dementia. She has been admitted to hospital a week ago with a chest infection. She's not eating and drinking very little we have been called for now a couple of times. She has now developed Cheyne stoke breathing now day 5. She's very weak how long will her body cope with this.

awebdill

Jun 20, 2017
So sorry to hear about your grandmother. It is difficult I think for the doctors to put a time frame on things like this. My grandmother is in a similar situation and has been for the last 3 weeks and we have been told no one has any idea how long this will go on for. The most important thing is that she is comfortable and as pain free as possible. Hope you are coping as best as you can xx

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
Hello, Im sorry you've found us...
No one of us can say this will go on for X days, but I would say that Cheyne Stoking is usually one of the last signs. I say usually, but there can always be people to prove us wrong!

Just stroke her hair or her hand, tell her you love her, thank her for everything she has done for you and tell her it's time and she can leave you now.....
Thinking of you, Maureen.x

Bonnieweelass

Jul 18, 2017
Thanks it's so hard to watch. She seems to be very comfortable and the nursing staff are great, I think it's harder on the family looking on.

Aisling

Dec 5, 2015
Ireland
Thanks it's so hard to watch. She seems to be very comfortable and the nursing staff are great, I think it's harder on the family looking on.

I hope that the fact that she is comfortable and that staff are excellent will give you some comfort. Sit with her when you can and talk gently to her.

Sending you support,

Aisling x

KatieRich

Jan 3, 2017
Derby
So sorry to read this. Such a difficult time for you. My dad was taken into hospital on the 20th July with a UTI and we were told he was so poorly he wouldn't survive. They said he may last a couple of days but certainly not a week. We stopped all antibiotics and drips the next day and just requested pain relief. My sister and I stayed with him constantly and there were a few times we thought he was going, he finally passed early on Thursday 27th. I feel for you as it's so hard to watch , my advice is just talk to her she will know you are there xx

Bonnieweelass

Jul 18, 2017
Hi we are now 14 days on and my wee granny is still with us. We have been called a number of times to the hospital with her death being imminent. She now has not ate for more than 3 weeks. She is drinking very small amounts and sleep majority of the time. She only asks for her mother or family members that have already passed.

KatieRich

Jan 3, 2017
Derby
Hi we are now 14 days on and my wee granny is still with us. We have been called a number of times to the hospital with her death being imminent. She now has not ate for more than 3 weeks. She is drinking very small amounts and sleep majority of the time. She only asks for her mother or family members that have already passed.

Bless you. I thought a week was hard enough but two weeks must be torture. All I can say is I'm thinking of you and hope for all your sakes your granny is at peace soon xxx

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I'm so sorry to read your news but am glad that your gran is at peace now. Wishing you strength.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
You've had a very hard vigil, Bonnieweelass. Sorry for your loss, but I'm glad your gran has now passed away peacefully. No more struggles with this illness.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Classy@1951