So bizarre !

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
Greetings to all you lovely Bizarrites!

OH and I are just home from our holiday, which was lovely, and we thoroughly enjoyed both Brussels and Amsterdam. Best of all is seeing OH so relaxed and looking younger and better rested than before our very busy trip.

I'll be happy to tell you more about the holiday when I've got a bit more caught up and over the jet lag. It was fabulous.

I took a complete break from my mobile and the Internet and all of that for our entire holiday. The care home were instructed to ring OH's phone if necessary and OH and I decided that he would take their calls, and then only report to me if my input/permission was required, or there was something I could do something about, or something I needed to know right away. Thankfully, nothing of the sort transpired whilst we were gone and so I also got a break from dealing with the care home and all the attendant business of that.

Of course I've spent all day today dealing with everything that had piled up in my voice mail, email, mail mail, and everything else while I was gone, but the break was worth it. I still have things for my mother I must attend to today so I can't stay long, but I wanted to say hello. I have only just logged in and haven't read through any of this, or any other, thread, so I am not caught up, but I do hope everyone is as well as possible.

I can't recall if Ann has left on her holiday yet or not. If not, then safe travels and have a lovely time; you certainly have earned it. If yes, then I hope you are having a wonderful time. Either way, we will be excited to hear all about it on your return, and maybe see a photo or two.

Much love to you all and more soon!

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Morning everyone :)

Amy, welcome back - I am so, so thrilled to read that you had a wonderful time and that your OH (and you too, I hope ) managed to relax and enjoy it so much. Yes please, to hearing more - and I wouldn't mind a photo or two either xxx

Had to laugh at the 'dust is only there to preserve the furniture' , 2Jays :D You would think that my house is some sort of shining palace, but honestly, it's anything but! To me, I just like to keep on top of it - and with two hairy mutt's, a teen who's idea of tidying up is to pile everything in one big heap (at best), and all of us busy with work ect, and with hobbies and interests that mean that there is plenty of clutter, it can take some 'keeping on top of' :) My Mum was never, ever houseproud (and that's an understatement - she not only didn't care about tidy, she didn't care about clean either!) and I remember being so uncomfortable about inviting anyone home when I was in my teens because of this. So, I guess that's made my home being clean and I would say, comfy, something that matters to me - I don't think I'm over the top, but then again I guess it might seem different to anyone looking in, lol.

I'm looking forward to the day when I can find some of the random stuff Mil says funny, 2Jays - after yesterdays visit, though, I think that day is a long way off yet - so thank you for the squishy hug xxxx And I'm glad its getting to that stage for you now, Hun xxx

Slugsta, it must be so hard seeing your Mum so unresponsive and not knowing if she is in pain or not. I'm glad the staff are taking no chances and giving the pain relief and I want to send you some squishy hugs, too xxx Sending more {{{{{hugs}}}}} for you and Sky-cat too - whatever this awful condition is, I hope she remains happy and comfy for as long as is possible xxxxx

Spamar, I hope that the side effects of the meds settle really quickly for you, and that they help {{{{{{hugs}}}}}}. It's sad to look back and see the difference that the years and painful conditions can make. The last time we went to Rhodes, my two girls and I had a wonderful day in Butterfly Valley - which is located up the side of a large hill/small mountain - very steep. Youngest was saying she would like to do that again - but we both know that there is no way I could manage that now, not with the stupid hip, back, ankles, ect :(

The Carnival prom sounds good though - hope you have a fab time :)

Canary and Red - thanks for the holiday wishes - I certainly intend to have as good a time as I possibly can - just over 24 hours till we go :D

JM - don't know if you are back yet, but I hope you have had a lovely holiday xxx

So - first things first. Son arrived on Sunday, (along with his GF and my 'Garnd dog' Patch), early evening after having to work during the day. His bruises and scratches are nearly gone, and the bite marks on his head are largely healed. I am still steaming over the reaction of his boss, though - hardest part of your kids growing up is knowing that you can't go charging in and fight their battles, I would so love to give his boss a very large piece of my mind :mad:

Patch and my oldest Mutt got on very well - Patch is extremely laid back, with a permanently wagging tail, not at all boisterous, which suited Old Busta - but Seamus, dramatic little neurotic dog that he is, was thrown into quite a tizz. His tail wagged too, but he also was his usual vocal self - not barking, just the strange gutteral groans and moans he makes (sounds like he is possessed!) constantly, and a lot of hiding behind our legs or on our knee's, with occasional forays to sniff at Patch, before legging it back to safety :) Patch didn't react at all to the silly noises and Seamus was getting more relaxed as time went on, thankfully. A shame they could only stay one night - but that's better than nothing, so not complaining :)

I spent Saturday packing the cases and fitted in a last minute foray to the shops for a couple of odds and ends. I've probably gone over-board on the sun creams and insect repellent, but better safe than sorry! Sunday morning, I stocked up the food supply for oldest, who arrives tonight and who is staying here to look after Busta and Seamus (she'll be joined by her BF at the weekend). Sunday evening,as I said, son arrived, and we had a takeaway to celebrate his birthday, along with a lucious cake, made by his GF. Our gifts to him consisted of mainly cash (he is off to the Isle of Man for a lads weekend with some uni mates in 2 weeks time, so the money was to cover the cost and give some spending money for then :) ) and a bar-b-q for their garden - oh, and two large sirloins to go on it, lol!

Yesterday morning we went to see Mil. OH, youngest, son and his GF, and myself. Not a good visit. It seems like she is back in the negative frame of mind, where I am concerned.

When we walked in, she was in an arm chair in the corner of the lounge. OH and son walked towards her - and instant tears, a lot of emotion, a lot of how glad she was to see them, and how she couldn't believe that they had come to see her. They hugged and she seemed so please to see both that I actually thought the visit would go well. OH suggested that she move to a table where we could all sit together - he and son had to almost carry her to the seat, she insisted she couldn't walk, not by herself. (At the moment, she is mainly walking with a short of jerky shuffle, pretty stable and she can be surprisingly fast - but there are increasing occasions where she is unable to get out of chairs, sometimes she insists she can't walk without clinging on to someone for support, and the staff tell me she is always worse whe we visit).

Got her settled at a table, with her sat between OH and son - she grabbed son and did the 'woodpecker kisses' all over his face, which son clearly found just a bit uncomfortable, and gripped she OH's hand tightly throughout the visit. However, she repeatedly called son by her nephews name, and I think she used OH's name just once, so I honestly don't know if she had the first clue about who they really were. Son's GF and youngest were greeted warmly - but when she looked at me, the smile died and I got a very stiff and formal "I'm pleased to see you too", in a tone that clearly showed she was anything but pleased!.

And that's how the visit continued - she spoke warmly to the rest, but if any of them said anything that disagreed with or gave an answer that didn't fit in with whatever confabulation she was spouting, she would very pointedly turn her head and quite literally glare at me :confused: At one point I half laughed and said to her 'I didn't say anything, Mil - no point frowning at me!' and I got a 'huh' and an eye-roll in response. So I kept very quiet, but even so, the glares and the dirty looks kept coming - it was very obvious to all that she was off with me, and it did make us all feel very uncomfortable. I can't put into words just how clearly horrible she was with me - it was so pointed and nasty. I had reached the stage where I was about to quietly ask OH for the car keys so I could go and wait outside, when OH announced that we had to be going - we had been there maybe 45 minutes.

And time to put my honest hat on and say that her whole attitude towards me really, really hacked me off and upset me. It took me right back to the resentment and misery I used to feel when she lived here and I got the blame for anything and everything, real and confabulated, that annoyed her. And yep, of course I know its not her, its the dementia, but do you know what? I didn't care - it upset me anyway. I honestly thought I was passed those feelings, but yesterday brought them back in a flash. I left there thinking 'You ungrateful ***, I visit all the time, if you need anything I sort it out straight away, I make sure that you are OK, I'm always nice to you . . . "

It was really hard, once we had left, to push those feelings aside and not snap at everyone else. OH commented about how she had been with me, and part of me was glad he had picked up on it and that I wasn't over-reacting to how she was. But part of me wanted to bite his head off when he told me firmly that I 'shouldn't let it get to me'. I had to really clamped my mouth tightly closed, because I so wanted to say that when he visits as often as I do, when he does as much as I do for her and she treats him the same way, then (and only then) would he have the right to tell me what I should and shouldn't 'let get to me'.

I should feel bad for feeling like this about her, because although I'm no longer angry, I am still fed up, I guess, and I am so glad that I don't have to see her for the next two weeks - but I don't. And at the moment, I am seriously considering cutting visiting her to a maximum of once a week, or even less - there's the feeling of why should I bother, I can keep an eye on her from a distance and save myself the misery. I can honestly say, hand on heart, that her not realising what I do, her not realising that for most of the time its only me that visits, that its me that keeps and eye on her health, tops up her money, goes out and buys her whatever she needs as soon as I know she needs it, that her not saying thank you - none of that bothers me in the slightest - but, it does bother me (more than I had expected) when she then casts me in the role of the villain and is nasty with me.

I'm actually a bit surprised that I feel like this - I really thought I had got passed her attitude toewards me having such an impact :(

So - shaking off the negativity - today I have a busy day planned. the house is fine, just need to give the fridge a bit of a tidy and check what (if anything) needs throwing away. My 'holiday nails' are done, this morning youngest and I are getting our 'holidy haircuts'. I need to pick up prescriptions and I intend to give the camera gear a good clean and pack the hand luggage. This afternoon, I plan to have a couple of hours chilling with the family genealogy stuff - I've now traced all mine and OH's branches of the family back to at least the mid 1800's, and have everything organised into a giant file that is almost too heavy to lift! Tonight, oldest arrives and tomorrow morning, we have to be at the airport for 10.30-ish, so we have chance for a meal before flying out at 12.30. We decided a week or so back that given OH's 6'4" height, and my achey joints, we would splurge and get the extra leg room seats for both the outwards and homewards journey, so the worry about finding the flight uncomfortable is pretty much eased. By 6pm, (our time), we should be just about arriving at our resort. The plan is to have a nice meal, then a little wander round exploring, before an early night - after that, there are no fixed plans, just relaxing - I don't have the words to tell you all how much we are all looking forward to this.

Take care of yourselves and I hope you all have a stress free time whilst I am away. Much love to all - and see you in about 12 days time :D xxxxx

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Have a great holiday, Ann, and I hope it's the holiday of a lifetime!

Good to see you back, Amy, so pleased you had a good time.

Not sure if the pills are working! Have a very nasty taste in my mouth in the morning, have left water on the dressing table, for ease! But back and feet still really sore. Shoulder not to bad. Headaches seem to be the norm, thinking that's connected with neck problems?! Got a long list of queries next time I see the consultant! Written down, I hasten to add!

Ring on door bell this morning, no one there, but the neighbours were. They sent the postman to the back door, which is on the side! Anyway, box of flowers! I'm like, I'm not celebrating, who are these from? They wanted to know who I'd been chatting up! However, flowers from youngest stepson and family. Obviously the catch up email I wrote the other day got to him! So I've just sorted the flowers out. Have to be put away from food, bright light and whatever else it was. Honestly, all these instructions!

Didn't groan, but yesterday I booked a couple of Christmas concerts!
The Gareth Malone show is coming as well, in November, but have to book that via the promoters. He's got the Swingle singers as well, so well pleased.

Dull at the moment, and rain forecast for tomorrow, all day!
Have a good day, everybody!

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
Afternoon all,

Amy, welcome home! I am so glad that you had a good time and were able to switch off from all things dementia related. I'm glad that hubby is looking better for it - and hope the same can be said for you. I look forward to hearing all about it when you feel able.

Spamar, I'm sorry that you still have so many hurty places, despite the meds :( Yes, the headaches could well be related to the neck problems (((hugs))). Well done for getting some concerts booked, it is good to have something enjoyable to anticipate :)

Ann, I really hope you do not read this until you are home and settled again! I'm sorry that you had another difficult visit to MIL and completely understand you feeling rather teed off with her! I don't think there is any reason why you should not take a bit of a step back when you return. You know she is safe, well fed and cared for. Your visits don't make her happy, so why keep putting yourself through them? I know you want to support your OH but it really should not be down to you to do it all, especially now you have a paid job too (((hugs)).

I am delighted to report that Skycat is still doing well. Hubby chooses to believe that she is 'better' other than some residual damage affecting her balance. I prefer to take each day as it comes and enjoy her for as long as I can.

I am less delighted to say that Mum is not doing so well. She has been very sleepy and slow to respond (if at all) for our last few visits. I think she has said only 2 words over our past 3 visits and her food/fluid intake has reduced considerably. Part of me wants this to be over quickly, for everyone's sake. Then I realise that she will be gone for ever and feel guilty for my previous thoughts.

I have been feeling utterly exhausted (and feel bad for saying that when I don't work :eek:), finding the 3 x week visits over to Mum very tiring on top of my physical impairments. Hubby asked to borrow my car for the day today and I have taken the opportunity to skip a visit. Of course, I feel really guilty about it but also more rested. The GP saw Mum on Monday and said that nothing else is going on and I know this is likely to get worse before it gets better :(

Hoping that everyone is able to get some enjoyable time over the weekend :)

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Hi Slugsta, glad to hear Skycat holding his (her?) own.
Sorry to hear about your Mum, hope she improves just a little. I remember when I was visiting OH, he said, go away! Thank you very much I said, and promptly left! Then went go a local cafe for coffee! Though he wasn't talking much by then, to be fair.
Afraid the pills aren't working that well, if at all. I know you said they take a while, so I'll give it another week or so. It seems bits take turns in aching. It's been my neck yesterday and today. Just have to put up with it, I suppose.

The plumber finally came to fit my kitchen tap! Very smart new one.
I asked him about non slip showers, and he said there is something you can buy and paint on that makes a shower non slip. Much cheaper than turning it all into a wet room!
I feel I need one of those all-singing loos as well ( wash and dry). He said they were expensive. I know that! Also might get an electric garage door, help to save my shoulder. I suppose then it will be one if those chairs that lift you to your feet! Then I will be al ready for my old age!!
I guess it's cheaper than moving!
Good day weather wise, farmers very busy! The fields that were cut a fortnight ago have been ploughed already ( after muck spreading, that is!). Can't cut grain in the wet. Well, you can, but then it has to be dried, more expense!) So they've got on with what can be done. Someone was harvesting onions today, could smell them from some distance!

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
Evening all,

Spamar, I am sorry that the pills are not helping yet (((hugs))). I do understand what you mean about bits taking it in turns to hurt :( I already have one of those chairs that helps you to your feet, BTW. The only problem is the length of time it takes to get from full recline to standing - too late to answer the phone or door usually! I am glad that your kitchen tap is sorted and that you have a solution for the bathroom that will not cost a fortune. I don't see anything wrong with paying for things to make your life easier, no point in suffering more than you must.

Hubby and I went to a local dog show today. It was a 'proper' one, rather than for charity so not as much fun but there were a huge number of dogs there. I am told that people travel from all over the country for this one. I thought I knew a bit about dogs but there were quite a few breeds that were new to me. I love big dogs so was in my element with the wolfhounds and ridgebacks. There were some adorable afghan pups too but I am not too keen on them as adults - far too high maintenance! It was lovely to get my doggy 'fix' :)

Sky-cat is a she BTW, a tiny little girl only just over 2kg in weight. Alf is a great big boy of nearly 6kg!

dora

Aug 1, 2007
England
non-slip for shower or bath

I asked him about non slip showers, and he said there is something you can buy and paint on that makes a shower non slip. Much cheaper than turning it all into a wet room!

I bought some non-slip circles which stick on to the shower tray. I either got them in the local hardware store or online - can't remember which.

They were easy to put on and have worked well.

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
Just to say we got back from hols today, very poor signal whilst away so I got to read a bit but couldn't really comment

part unpacked, repacked son's stuff for scout camp and leaving at 7am tomorrow to take him to Rochdale.

Among minor issues today we have no new toothbrushes and my printer won't work (think it may not be windows 10 compatible). Toothbrush solved by popping to shops at 9.45 (decent sized coop half a mile away). Printer problem not solved - meant to print out forms for tomorrow.

I'll update later in the week.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Welcome back, JM, hope the holiday was all you wished, and the weather not too bad!

Dog show sounds fun, Slugsta. I grew up with springer spaniels, the first one was a trained gun dog, as father did a bit of shooting, the others were show rejects!
OH used to have Newfoundlands, there's a bit softie if you like! One of my favourite memories is when some friends visited and we went for a walk, and OH said he would see if any of the kids wanted to come. He came back with 2 children and three newfies - in a Morris Marina! Tbf, one of the dogs was a pup, but still! So 4 adults, 4 children and 5 dogs!
In subsequent years we had a beagle and yet another springer, black and white this time.
OH, then into dementia fancied another dog, so I, having arthritis by then, said, OK, not a pup, nothing that needs a lot of walking and preferably something that doesn't shed hair. We went to a local rescue centre and looked at an old lurcher, and took it for a short walk. Went back a few days later and played with it. OH didn't interact one little bit! So I decided, no dog. Pity, but right.
I like cats, but only if they're someone else's and not in my garden! I prefer the birds!
My then neighbour had several cats and a pretty little grey one thought she would like a second home! What a job I had preventing OH not to let her in! Sit outside and she would be on your lap! They moved to the end of the road, and although she came back a few times, gave up in the end.
Weather is fine here, hope it's the same for everybody else! Have a good day!

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
Welcome home Jm! I hope you managed to get your printing done.

Spamar, I absolutely love Newfies! I had an on-line friend who lived up in the far north, above Inverness, and had Newfies. It seemed an idyllic setting for them, plenty of space and the sea nearby.

We have had a decent day here, dry and bright with temps reaching the low 20s. It is always particularly lovely where Mum is when the sun shines. Mum was much 'brighter' today - awake and aware at least and eating a little. It seems she does not intend to leave us just yet!

RedLou

Jul 30, 2014
Slugsta, I am sorry to hear about your mum and your conflicted feelings: they are perfectly natural. As we know the end is approaching, why would we wish it to be prolonged? That cannot be good for anyone concerned. Sending you a huge squishy hug.

Spamar, definitely cheaper than moving. & why not? We can't take it with us.

Look forward to hearing about everyone's holidays when they have a chance. Amy - very glad yours seems to have been so beneficial.

Ann - I echo Slugsta. I think, in a calm moment, it may be worth pointing out to OH that as MiL is taking little pleasure in your visits you are rowing back a bit, and also explaining your feelings. I can tell you from first-hand experience that the ingratitude of the PwD lingers a long time after death and alters memories in a horrible way. Do spare yourself that if you can. At least his visits give pleasure to her and he can take satisfaction from that.

Last edited:

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Yes, waiting to hear about holiday jaunts. I'm not sure I will be able to get to Cornwall, or anywhere else, this year, which is a shame. Need one more visit at least!
Red, good to hear from you, Slugsta, how are things?
Rain this morning, but cleared about 11:00, just proving the adage correct! Still fine, but windy.
Concert tomorrow, I wrote it in my diary for the wrong day, not much difference between 13 and 18, is there? Fortunately realised in time!
Hope everybody is having a great time!

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
Sorry to hear that holidays seem to be off the cards for you at the moment Spamar :( I do hope that things change so that you can get away.

Mum was quite alert again when we went in yesterday and ate a good sized piece of cake (albeit slowly), she also gave us a big smile when we went in. We were wondering if we would have to cancel our visit to London on the Bank Hol weekend (seeing our son and celebrating my birthday) but it looks as if we will be OK.

It has been dry here today but quite muggy. If I had thought ahead, I would have got screens for our windows so that we can have them open and not risk kittie-cats getting out when they shouldn't!

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
Hope Ann's having a good holiday - given the weather here today (lots of heavy rain showers in Cheshire) and yesterday (short sharp showers in North Wales but much warmer than today) she isn't missing anything weather wise.

Ended up handwriting info son needed - printer not fixed - plan is to pop to - Costco to pick up a new one at some stage (nearer than the nearest supermarket)

Amy glad you had a good holiday.

I haven't read back in full so will try and get round to that later tonight or tomorrow night so sorry if I've missed anything important.

Slugsta - glad your mum is slightly more alert than she's been.

So brief update on hol which started with a disaster - I was making sure I had booking emails to hand and couldn't find the one for the French cycling hol. New website and had struggled with it so assume I didn't book it. Decided that telling OH before we left would mean we didn't leave so left it until we got off ferry (very very risky I know). Anyway we decided to trundle off to event and see if they would sort us out, which they did and we by chance ended up very close to 2 groups of friends we've met at this event over the years, and very close to toilets as well.

I really enjoyed the cycling week, think I managed to not get too tired in early days, didn't overdo it, let someone else (OH mainly) do washing up and washing if I was too tired (have to hand wash cycling kit as no washing machine). As I'm sure I've mentioned in other year's a temporary campsite, 2,600 pitches across 3 sites. A farmer's field turned into a campsite. Large toilet and shower blocks with lots of hot water but everyone does the same thing at the same time. So am toilet queues, pm shower and clothes washing queues, evening washing up queues. We were getting back to campsite quite early this year so ahead on shower and clothes washing queues.

We only had one teenage strop - which spoilt the day to some extent - it was picnic day, where everyone goes to the same place for a large picnic, and there are stalls and other things to do, not much there this year, but Oh and dau missed it.

I rode over 450 miles in a week, as did son, 90 miles one day, and 106 another, with son in tow. OH did about 600.

We got dau's latest ferritin (blood iron stores) result just the day we went on holiday. It was 46. We understand she probably needs about 100 to be well but as the normal is 20 to 320 the GPs that don't know her just dismiss result as within normal. We both looked at each other and thought that explains why she'd been so much tireder than we expected. Needless to say this wasn't a great base for a cycling holiday, and she did do a couple of 90 mile rides but a lot less than her brother. Probably explains the meltdown as tired. At the end of the first week she came down with a virus and was unable to swim and enjoy the beach as much as she'd hoped, and we had a few meltdowns which really spoiled the week for me!

I'll try and read back and update anything of mine I've missed by tomorrow night.

If anyone reading has any info on low ferritin levels I would be very grateful. Daughter has been on 3 iron tablets a day for over a year now and I have a GPs appointment for Monday am, to ask for investigations as to what is causing low iron and to ask for hospital referral. Very frustrating for dau, she is not able to be active at the level of a normal teenager, let alone a sports mad one.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Poor dau, as you say, even worse for a sports mad one! Glad things worked out on the whole. Weather must have been better, at least!
Good luck with gp tomorrow, hope you get some sense from him/her.

The new tablets aren't quite living up to my expectations. Now seem to go to bed late, and get up late! Never had that before! Plus I still have a nasty taste in my mouth most of the day , Ugh!
The good thing is that I don't get out of bed at night so many times. Another bad thing is that I feel I'm eating more! Now, that is the last thing I need!
Think I might go back and try yet another one.

Went to another concert Friday night, quite good, but not the zing you get with some concerts.
There was a female singer who did a couple of numbers in each half, young, with a wonderful coloratura voice. The last song needed a pianist for a few bars, beginning, middle and end. At the afternoons rehearsal it was realised they didn't have a pianist! Full orchestra, but no pianist! However, as the place is the centra of high flying music, there was a course going on to understand Schumann and someone else, forgotten name. There were 5 pianists on that course! However, no one had black suit and white tie! So the pianist slid in, wearing a grey suite and brown shoes! I did notice he looked a bit dishevelled! Happened to be sitting next to a girl who was also on the course. Inside knowledge!
Next concert on Friday.
Right, must go shopping this morning!
Hope everybody is doing well!

Oh Knickers

Nov 19, 2016
I am not a medical person so this is just guidelines on taking iron. Timing and how you take is important to absorbtion. My youngest iron was so low that her ferritin count was 2!

What I did for her was to get Floradix Iron Tablets. It is a much more easy iron to absorb. It also lessons the chances of constipation. It has the added advantage of having the Vitaminc and B vitamins necessary to aid the absorption.

In terms of taking it iron needs to be taken before a meal - a few minutes for it to unravel in the stomach. Tea and coffee tend to prevent absorbtion. Milk - butter, cheese (Calcium) the tannins in the tea, polyphenols in coffee and wholegrains will prevent the iron being taken in properly. Should your daughter be stoking up on cereals at breakfast it may be worth waiting a bit longer or giving fruit before she hits the main breakfast. Pain to choreograph but aids iron absorption. Having also been low on iron I took mine on rising then washing and dressing, sorting what I needed to go to work before breakfasting. It has made a difference.

In view of how busy your lifestyles are it may also be worth taking additonal B12 plus other Bs for a while (Vit B Complex). It can make a big difference to mood and memory. Being low in B12 can accompany iron deficient anaemia.

Hope that helps

RedLou

Jul 30, 2014
JM - I have pm-ed you.
Edit - couldn't: your inbox is full. Cutting and pasting info below, without link.
Spamar - I seem to have missed any post about Clare Teal - was it good? --I interviewed her some years back and she and her partner were absolutely lovely and gave me free tickets to a concert in my area, which was fab. Always had a soft spot for her since.

JM again: You probably know all there is to know about iron supplements by now but if you go on the Victoria Health website and google iron you'll see the last article re: liquid iron supplements from natural sources, in case it is of any help at all. The pharmacist at Victoria Health is the person who advised on the supplements that helped my daughter through her Oxford finals (she was always getting heavy colds and flu through stress/being run-down before that.) They also gave me some very helpful advice recently.
In the comments, there is the suggestion of green smoothies in the morning to help natural absorption. (Think your daughter is vegetarian???)

L x

Last edited:

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
I've emptied inbox

Dau is not vegetarian - maybe Ann's dau (they are both the same age doing GCSEs) as I am sure Ann is vegetarian

One of the big issues is the frequent heavy colds/viruses which run her down. These we think are caused by the low iron issue.

Iron tablets are taken before meals, although I've tried to persuade her to take earlier before meal but coordination is hard. Morning tablet taken with multi vit with vit C and high B12 and other B vits in (Holland and Barrett one). Other tablets are taken with a small glass of orange juice.

She doesn't drink tea and I've managed to almost ban coffee. Milk/cheese are a different issue, especially as everything I've read states that calcium stores are put down in teenage years - and we tend to favour milkshake as a recovery drink (a lot cheaper than formula recovery drinks - which are milk protein based, and again research seems to indicate milk just as effective).

I have asked for B12 to be tested before and this has been refused. She isn't anaemic on the blood tests and iron itself is fine as well which is some of the reason the GPs keep dismissing it.

I am aware that it may be managing life style (including not overdoing it - hard when 12 year old brother is doing more than her) to get ferritin levels up with no underlying cause, but previous virus (in May) came when ferritin was relatively high but she raced as virus was starting. She wants to race if she gets fit enough as well! Maybe we are hoping for too much but doesn't seem right to be restricting a teenagers life in this way without it being a major illness, which GP doesn't seem to be treating this as such.

I asked GP about liquid iron, and she said that tablets should be enough, but absorption rates are so different I need to ask again.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Red, Clare Real was brilliant! The whole hall was buzzing, you know that buzz when things go right. Everyone on a high! Friday night was good music, enjoyable, but for me the buzz was missing. She's an amazing singer! Her last encore ( it was the encore of an encore of an encore!) was Every Time We Say Goodbye, which made everybody cry! Phone lights were waving at her instigation! I've since downloaded the Lena Horne version, but Clare's was better, though she hasn't recorded it (yet). She came out to the forum at half time and at the end, selling and signing cds. She wanted every one s name, posed for selfies, chatted, all in the best of humour.

Next one is Joe Stilgoe and his big band. Complete unknown to me, though he seems to have done plenty. Jazz again!

Now home from shopping, glad I went early, it was heaving around the shop by the time I left. It's always a busy weekend, as it's carnival weekend in one of the nearest towns. It gets really really busy, not that I go very often these days!
Now watching last nights programme on the Vuelta, though I seem to have an awful lot of darts at the beginning! Let's hope I have all the cycling!

No I haven't, just as Sky is about to start, on comes the baking! I thought if you set a programme to record, it latched on to the programme, not the time! Oh well, I'll just look at the results on iPad! Quicker, but not so exciting!

Can't offer ant advice on iron, calcium etc, I probably need some myself!

Have a good day, everyone

Last edited: