Aspiration Pneumonia - so what next?

6FNAUTICLUB

Dec 26, 2015
The last few days have been an emotional roller coaster, having been admitted to hospital Tues, slurred speech, dysphasia etc, Mum took a turn for the worst and virtually disappeared in front of our eyes Weds evening, we were then advised that likely cause Aspiration Pneumonia brought on by difficulty in swallowing and she has also lost the cough reflex although at times she can cough, other times nothing.

Mum was discharged back to NH last night, with diagnosis of aspiration pneumonia and progression of VD - she is so tired and although on antibiotics, she cannot move any rubbish by coughing and this is upsetting her. At the moment she is such a frail lady, can do little for herself as she is so weak and a fall risk.

We know she is scared but doesn't understand what's happening to her and we don't know how to respond - will she get better, will her swallow and cough reflex return and why has this come on so suddenly, we saw her Thurs last week and by Monday she was so unwell.

Mum has the classic signs - holding foods/liquid in her mouth, pulling faces when she puts food in her mouth and forgetting to swallow and like I say, can't cough, just makes a strange noise when she tries - what does diagnosis of "progression of VD" mean - at the hospital when I asked - they just said her current state of health is all part of the disease - so what can we expect next?

Amethyst59

Jul 3, 2017
Kent
I didn't like to read this sad post, and then not leave you a reply. Why don't you ask the nurses? When my dad was very poorly...and later, my husband too....I just asked, 'should I hope for the best, or prepare for the worst?' They will know, having seen this situation before ... I'm sure I am not the only one thinking about you at this hard time.

6FNAUTICLUB

Dec 26, 2015
I didn't like to read this sad post, and then not leave you a reply. Why don't you ask the nurses? When my dad was very poorly...and later, my husband too....I just asked, 'should I hope for the best, or prepare for the worst?' They will know, having seen this situation before ... I'm sure I am not the only one thinking about you at this hard time.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
This must be such a dreadful time for you. My husband died from aspiration pneumonia two years ago, having lost his swallow/cough reflex too.

Whether your mum "recovers" or not will depend on whether the antibiotics are effective against the pneumonia. In my husband's case, they were not. He was discharged back to his nursing home in June, and died at the beginning of August. The nursing home staff were brilliant at getting very soft foods like yogurt, nutritional supplements etc. in, and drinks thickened until they were spoon fed. They were also able to suction phlegm etc. from his throat/mouth. And they kept him up in a chair (like an armchair on wheels) most of the time, which helped.

Do talk to the doctors, and don't be afraid to ask straight questions. It's often the only way you will get straight answers. They can sometimes be afraid to say something, in case relatives prefer not to know.

Thinking of you. xx

lemonjuice

Jun 15, 2016
England
You can certainly ask the so-called 'professionals', but with dementia many of them have little experience with advanced stage dementia. My mother is currently at stage 7d, also suffering VD and has been in stage 7 for over 2 years now. She lost her ablity to remember to swallow years ago, used to 'pocket' food/ forget to swallow without being stimulated etc. Even the so-called professionals have put her at 'end-stage' but as I say she has been at theis stage for over 2 years.

Dementia certainly doesn't seem to 'follow the normal rules of dying' and some sufferers can 'linger' for a very long time. My aunt certainly did.

6FNAUTICLUB

Dec 26, 2015
This must be such a dreadful time for you. My husband died from aspiration pneumonia two years ago, having lost his swallow/cough reflex too.

Whether your mum "recovers" or not will depend on whether the antibiotics are effective against the pneumonia. In my husband's case, they were not. He was discharged back to his nursing home in June, and died at the beginning of August. The nursing home staff were brilliant at getting very soft foods like yogurt, nutritional supplements etc. in, and drinks thickened until they were spoon fed. They were also able to suction phlegm etc. from his throat/mouth. And they kept him up in a chair (like an armchair on wheels) most of the time, which helped.

Do talk to the doctors, and don't be afraid to ask straight questions. It's often the only way you will get straight answers. They can sometimes be afraid to say something, in case relatives prefer not to know.

Thinking of you. xx

Thank you, so sorry for your loss. We've been to see Mum this morning, not a lot of improvement but like you say, care staff are being brilliant with her, bless her she struggled to swallow her meds this morning. Her speech is also very slow and slurred again today, will pop back again after tea x

6FNAUTICLUB

Dec 26, 2015
S
You can certainly ask the so-called 'professionals', but with dementia many of them have little experience with advanced stage dementia. My mother is currently at stage 7d, also suffering VD and has been in stage 7 for over 2 years now. She lost her ablity to remember to swallow years ago, used to 'pocket' food/ forget to swallow without being stimulated etc. Even the so-called professionals have put her at 'end-stage' but as I say she has been at theis stage for over 2 years.

Dementia certainly doesn't seem to 'follow the normal rules of dying' and some sufferers can 'linger' for a very long time. My aunt certainly did.

You are so right, tbh, everyone's VD journey seems so different and when you ask "the professionals" no one really seems to know what to say