Dad's funeral today

KatieRich

Jan 3, 2017
Derby
Hi all. So it's dad's funeral this afternoon. I'm going to keep busy today. Dog walking this morning, then going to get my hair cut. I'm feeling nervous obviously. I'm doing a reading "memories of dad" any words of advice would be greatly appreciated from anyone who has read at their loved ones funeral. Xx

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Adrenaline got me through! I read a poem at OH s funeral. I was on a high all day! It was only later that reality struck.
Hope everything goes well.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
At my Mums funeral I found I was so busy seeing to other people I had no time to dwell on how I felt. I'm the youngest of us three and my sister had done most of the preparation work as I was in France when she died. On the day I made sure everyone was seated and that I watched out for some of her elderly friends and brought them down to the front with family that they knew.

Like so many funerals it was a safety valve for emotions and once over we could all relax.

KatieRich

Jan 3, 2017
Derby
At my Mums funeral I found I was so busy seeing to other people I had no time to dwell on how I felt. I'm the youngest of us three and my sister had done most of the preparation work as I was in France when she died. On the day I made sure everyone was seated and that I watched out for some of her elderly friends and brought them down to the front with family that they knew.

Like so many funerals it was a safety valve for emotions and once over we could all relax.

I'm the youngest too marionq . I think it's good to keep busy and occupied.
I really want to be happy giving him the best send off ever, but I have to admit I am looking forward to getting home later putting my pjs on and relaxing xxx

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Best of luck today, Katie. I didn't read at my husband's funeral. But I was actually fine all that day. It was so unreal. And tbh, I was really angry about a couple of things to do with his funeral arrangements that I'd had to stand very firm on, more so than I should have had, so that sort of fueled me through the day! It was the next day, when the family and I went back to the graveyard and I saw how tiny his grave was, and all the flowers piled on it. That was when I lost it completely!

Will be thinking of you today, and in the coming days. xx

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
I was the same Lady A at my aunt's funeral. I held it together for the day. It was when I went back to her empty bungalow the following day and it hit me that she would never be there again that I broke down.

I hope everything goes well for you today Katie.

Last edited:

Poulet

Aug 11, 2017
Sorry to hear about your Dad, KatieRich.

I take funerals - the reading of memories/eulogy is often very emotional but most people manage to get through even if they have to pause occasionally and take a breath. Just for your own reassurance, you might like to have the text of what you are going to say printed out clearly so that if it really came to it you could just shove it in the direction of the person taking the funeral, and they will continue to read it for you.

But I think, as the others have said, you will find something within you that gives you what you need to get through it.

Grief and adjusting to loss is a funny thing. It carries on in some form or other for ever really, and often pops up when we least expect it, so be very kind to yourself going forward. Every blessing for this afternoon.

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
Take your time, and if the worst comes to the worst...... so what? This is your Dad's funeral and you are allowed to be upset.

Thinking of you.x.x.

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jackiejan