Need Advice Please

Lemondrop

Aug 9, 2017
Hello
I am new to this and really need advice if anyone can help please.
My mum is 92 and I am her full time Carer, she has been living with me in my home for almost 2 years. Mum has many health issues Copd, bronciactseies, polymyalgia, spinal fractures to name some. Recently her medication was all changed and she has since become more and more confused. This past week has seen a massive change, her memory is all over the place, sometimes she is saying she is 102 then 26 then 54 etc. For 3 days now she has been crying and frustrated wanting to go home to see her mummy and daddy (deceased over 45yrs ago). She has herself worried sick there is something wrong, I cannot convince her everyone and everything is ok. She thinks she has been at my house for 5days. She believes no one cares, she is scared of being left alone.
How do I handle this situation as it is all new to me, do I tell her the truth? Do I go along and keep her worried?
If anyone could advise me I would be eternally grateful.
I spoke to her GP and she thinks it's the medication and even if it was Dementia she is too old for a diagnosis.

Soobee

Aug 22, 2009
South
Hello Lemondrop and welcome to Talking Point.

It could be that your mum is reacting to the medication but the GP should be minimising any distress or confusion by tweaking the medication to suit.

Is it possible she could have a UTI? (urine infection) as this can cause major confusion in someone with dementia.

pinkotron

Jun 30, 2017
Definitely get the GP involved and check for UTI, especially as it has been a very quick change in her level of confusion.

Lemondrop

Aug 9, 2017
Thank you all...mum was prescribed Quetiapine 25mg...was given today at 4pm...she was more settled...that was til the carers were late to put her to bed...she got in bad temper..but was resolved with gentle explanation ...as for the real question of whether to tell her the truth about her mummy n daddy...my sister and I explained they were at home...through reviving her memory..they are at home in heaven. Was hard for her to hear at first...but I think ( I hope and pray) it has satisfied her mind for tonight.
I will get sputum sample off and a urine sample...district nurse be here in morning and will ask her to ring GP and ask for bloods to see inflammatory markers.
For the first night in weeks... Poured as she sleeping like a baby!