Any microwaves for people with dimentia

mish23

Aug 6, 2017
I look after a good friend and neighbour he has Dimentia and no sense of danger i need a microwave that i can set to cook for just 4 minutes so that he cannot put on full time again and again causing electrical fires. Pls can anyone help recomend a microwave so that he can maintain some independance and be safe as it becomming a very serious problem

mrjelly

Jul 23, 2012
West Sussex
Hi mish, and welcome to the forum.

As far as I know, there aren't any microwaves specially designed for people with dementia. Probably the closest thing would be one with a child lock that could be used by a carer and not by the person with dementia. This usually requires a special or unusual combination of button presses to lock and unlock the control panel.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
This may not answer your question, however, it helped my wife when she couldn't manage the microwave anymore. I used a permanent marker to write clear numbers beside the buttons using 1,2,3 etc., for the sequence and put x3 etc., beside the buttons that required multiple hits.

Linbrusco

Mar 4, 2013
Auckland...... New Zealand
I bought Mum a microwave that had some easy touch controls that had 10mns, 1 mn & 1s.
I covered over all the buttons apart from the 1minute, Start & Stop.
Mum only ever heated stuff up and knew enough to press the 1 mn a couple of times.
Prior to that with her old microwave she was putting it on for 30 mns instead of 3!