Help

kazb

Aug 1, 2015
I was diagnosed with altzheimers 2 years ago,with MRI and SPEC scans,right side was shrinked.
now because i actually did a little better on a test that i guessde on,as i didnt no the amswers so guessed.
The consultant wants another MRI as said there should have been changes in the 2 yrs. My worl was turnde upside down and i was a nurse, lost my job, licence and husband and nearly my house, son had to sell his house and come home and look after me as i was flooding the house and leaving the cooker on and couldnt go out myself and much more.
If there is no changes from prev scans he said i dont have altxheimers and its probably depression.... OMG i have never had depression and dont now know what to do.
I couldnt go back to nursing as they took my registration off me, and to be honest i havent got a clue what i could do as i cannot even remember what dat or time it is. HELP ....... its going to be 6 weeks for MRI.
Nothing has changed for me i am still the same, cannot remember anything from 5-10 mins ago, but i havent got worse, consultant confused,

netsy22

Oct 31, 2015
Don't worry

I don't think you need to worry - if you had lucky guesses on the test the results are obviously wrong and the scan should show this - once your brain has shrunk it can't grow back! You obviously are not capable of going back to your previous life, no one will expect this. If on the unlikely chance they still say it's depression you will be put on medication which will help a lot, but you will still need all the care you are getting in the meantime. Keep us posted!

kazb

Aug 1, 2015
thanks. HELP

Thanks for the kind reply.
When i got the diagnosis i would have said i was probably at the lowest i could probably get, but now 2 years on i have and am learning to live with this disease, and i am not depressed and have always been a very up beat person and actual am ok with my life.
Nothing has changed and i still cannot remember anything even from the last 15 minutes, continue to repeat myself and constantly leave things switched on and burn stuff and OMG the bath , i always forget i have put that on. cannot go out alone and dont know where i am or how toget back, all this i am being told by my son LOL.
What i wanted to ask is the consultant said hes going to check the new MRI witht he old one and if no changes will have a another spec scan.
If there is no changes this is where he said i dont have alzheimers, but i no i do i fit in with all the problems that we encounter, SO WHERE DO I STAND IF I DISSAGREE.
Of course i would rather not have it, but i no i do and even before i reported it to my consultant at my work place where i worked as a nurse, i didnt want to harm or hurt or injure any patients,i knew i had a memory problem.
HELP.
He said i am not performing like i should after 2 years and dont seem to have progressed on a downward slide. i thought this was how the tablets helped ??.
he said himself and the professor who read the MRI and SPEC scan think they got it wrong and its something else, even though there is the same changes in both scan areas....HIPPOCAMPUS. this along with my tests they diagnosed altzheimers, how can they do that and now turn my word upside down again and say there not sure now ?????
now im thinking OMG what is wrong with me then.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello kazb

It sounds to me as if you need some really good support.

Do you have anyone who will go with you to your consultant`s appointment? I know it`s always best to have someone with you so you can rely on the other person to stay calm and be less afraid.

Please phone the Alzheimer`s Helpline.

You can contact our helpline by calling 0300 222 1122 or by email at helpline@alzheimers.org.uk.

Helpline opening hours:
Monday to Wednesday 9am – 8pm
Thursday and Friday 9am – 5pm
Saturday and Sunday 10am – 4pm

There may be someone in your locality from the Alzheimer`s Society who can help you. If not it will be good for you to discuss your concerns with someone who knows what to advise.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Your consultant is wrong. OH had some memory loss at least 4 years before we went to get it sorted - or not! At the first test he scored 28 1/2 / 30 and on many subsequent tests scored full marks. His diagnosis was mixed dementia, Alzheimer's and vascular.
We knew quite a lot about it cos my father, his father and his sister also had dementia.
Many people also develop possible dementia signs years before it comes apparent.

Recent Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jackiejan