Devastated dad

grumpyoldwoman

Jul 26, 2017
Like many others I have followed this forum for several years, and now the time has come to join !
Brief background : mum and dad (80 and 83) have been married 60 years and have always adored each other. Dad has own health problems ( prostate cancer and AF) but has continued to care for mum who has mixed dementia/ Alzheimers.
Recently mum has gone downhill; she is incontinent and has been through a phase of not allowing anyone to change her pads. She also doesn't sleep for more than two hours , and that's with medication.
I have been sleeping at theirs while dad sleeps at my daughter's , or dad does the night shift while I have mum during the day. We also had carers helping out 4 days a week.
Crisis point came when mum was kicking and hitting us all yet again as we changed her pads and dad is fading before our eyes. He finally agreed we weren't coping and mum went into respite care yesterday , supposedly for two weeks but with a view to it becoming permanent.
It was the worst feeling ever taking her yesterday- she was so happy and then as we toured her room and the home she became quieter and quieter so obviously twigged something was going on. The staff guided her away and I could escape, but sobbed all afternoon.
I know it's very early days, but dad has already said he's not going to visit and he just sobs. I know I must go in tomorrow but feel physically sick. She must feel abandoned by all ; I'm just so so sad.

irismary

Feb 7, 2015
West Midlands
So sorry to read your post and I share your feelings having just had to move both my husband and mom into care homes. Mom, at nearly 94, I can accept, but my husband - my thoughts are constantly have I done it too soon. However there is a need to recognise when the limit has been reached or carers get ill too and that doesn't help, it makes it hugely worse. Fortunately both have settled ok with some good and some not so good visits. Take a deep breath, the move is out of love for your Mom and Dad, and is to ensure the health and well being of you all. Its Alzheimer's and dementia's that has caused it, something that at this point in time no-one can cure. You have done your utmost and can continue to be her voice in the care home.

Scouts girl

Jan 18, 2017
So sorry to read your post and I share your feelings having just had to move both my husband and mom into care homes. Mom, at nearly 94, I can accept, but my husband - my thoughts are constantly have I done it too soon. However there is a need to recognise when the limit has been reached or carers get ill too and that doesn't help, it makes it hugely worse. Fortunately both have settled ok with some good and some not so good visits. Take a deep breath, the move is out of love for your Mom and Dad, and is to ensure the health and well being of you all. Its Alzheimer's and dementia's that has caused it, something that at this point in time no-one can cure. You have done your utmost and can continue to be her voice in the care home.

I completely reiterate what you say irismary. I too share the overwhelming feelings we have at having to place our loved one in a care home but as we reach carers breakdown we must do what is NEEDED and not wanted both for ourselves wellbeing and for the safety and care of our loved one. My mum has still not settled in her care home after 7 months saying she feels abandoned by her family and we don't want her anymore. She talks constantly about ending her life. It is just so hard to accept but we have to be strong for both our sakes and although I experience this terrible guilt, I know deep down that the doctors and I have made the right decision knowing that she is safe and being well cared for. I tell her how much we love her but, of course, mum does not understand that the move was out of love for her and that I could not care for her 24 hours a days anymore. How do we try and explain this to our loved one and try and make them understand why the decision was taken. Mum cannot comprehend any reasoning now so I just have to give her lots of hugs and visit her as much as I can. I wish every day things could have been different and I could have continued to look after her at home but it wasn't to be.

grumpyoldwoman

Jul 26, 2017

Thank you for your kind words, I really appreciate it - I must count myself lucky that I only have one parent with this hideous disease, not the terrible situation that some find themselves in with parents and partners suffering.

irismary

Feb 7, 2015
West Midlands
I am very fortunate compared to lots of others, both remain happy in their confusion with no aggression or nasty remarks. I also have good family and friends who are emotionally supportive and have helped me out over this difficult time. I am also grateful that my husband and I travelled a lot before his illness and my Mom got into her 90s in good health.

Georgina63

Aug 11, 2014
Hi grumpyoldwoman (which I am sure you're not)

It's so very hard. I have had to make the decision for both my parents. Be kind to yourself....you are doing it to make things better for both your Mum and Dad. It is a rollercoaster, but hopefully, as is the case with my folks, you Mum will be well looked after and cared for better than could possibly be the case at home. Take care, Georgina x

grumpyoldwoman

Jul 26, 2017
Hi grumpyoldwoman (which I am sure you're not)

It's so very hard. I have had to make the decision for both my parents. Be kind to yourself....you are doing it to make things better for both your Mum and Dad. It is a rollercoaster, but hopefully, as is the case with my folks, you Mum will be well looked after and cared for better than could possibly be the case at home. Take care, Georgina x

Thank you Georgina, it helps to know I 'm not alone . Xx

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Heidi j