grief days

Soobee

Aug 22, 2009
South
Every few months I get what I call a grief day - though it can last longer.

A time where the loss is much more sharp than usual, where I feel that pain of bereavement deep inside, and it feels in some way heavy. I don't know what causes them or where they come from but they are thankfully quite rare.

I really, really miss my parents today. I have been dreaming about them which means I should go and see their woodland site soon as the dreams don't usually stop until I do.

I'm not posting for sympathy, I am posting because I reckon a lot of you will understand what I mean.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
You can prepare yourself for the big anniversaries but it's the grief that hits you from nowhere which is the hardest to bear. Sending hugs. xxx

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
And sometimes it the silliest things that can trigger it. Was passing through the freezer section of Tesco the other day, and a guy was stock-taking, counting all the boxes of different types of ice cream. And that set me off! Because I used to buy several litre sized tubs of Cherry ice cream every week for William. But I don't like ice cream, so since he went to the nursing home, I haven't bought any.
Funny, the things you miss.

Loopiloo

May 10, 2010
Scotland
Soobee I also recognise the grief days. Yes a lot of us will understand. Mine tend to last a few days and are doing so this week. Then it passes.

Different from the sudden, unexpected grief that catches you out unexpectedly and you find yourself in tears or sobbing.

A colleague and friend of Henry's of many years died last week, the funeral is on Monday, and that set off a train of thoughts, memories, sadness. In past years we celebrated a number of New Years with them and another couple. Now only one of the three men left.

Henry feels very near....

I hope you manage to visit your parents woodland site soon. I still have spells of deeply missing my Mum and Dad.

Loo xx

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
You can prepare yourself for the big anniversaries but it's the grief that hits you from nowhere which is the hardest to bear.

I agree Saffie. The worst thing anyone can do is pat themselves on the back thinking they are doing well.

reddollyfood

Apr 28, 2015
Oh I know those times so well. My darling old boy left me almost 8 months ago and I can be fine for days with just my memories but then out of the blue it will hit me like a sudden rain storm and I am overwhelmed! You're not alone. Sending you big hugs! X

MollyD

Mar 27, 2016
Ireland
Yes, me too. Frequently in the most unedifying of places, like Dealz, looking at some buy one get one free something or other. It used to be when I saw fudge or iced fairy cakes for dad, now it's just 'zillions' of items. They're all somehow imbued with the memory of mum. I know this will become less frequent in time, less intense at any rate.

Walking around, I so often wonder how many are going about their business, like I am, with a lump in their throats or sharp ache in their hearts. More than I can count, I imagine.

Blessed to have TP to voice it. X