risperidone

beffy

Jun 23, 2016
HI, MY HUSBAND IS IN 2ND YEAR OF FTD And has been put on risperidone, has anyone any experience of thid drug and what can I expect, is it too much to hope for a quieter life ?

Ludlow

Jul 20, 2016
SE England
Hi,
Well of course everyone reacts differently to drugs and you don't say what your husband's problems are, but if he is one who reacts favourably then things could well improve for you both.

My mum started risperidone last September after a year of paranoia when she was constantly afraid that a neighbour was coming into the house and putting poison on her pillow, causing her blindness. Not surprisingly, she was fearful all the time and would not go to bed or sleep at night. Sometimes she would also refuse food.

Various other drugs were tried on her with no effect, including other anti-psychotics. However, within a couple of weeks/maybe a month of being on risperidone these symptoms were almost completely gone. The neighbour is almost never mentioned, she eats well, goes to bed, and sleeps. Her quality of life (and mine!) are immeasurably better.

I do hope that you have positive results too.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
As with all medications, risperidone carries risks, particularly in people with dementia. However, my husband was on it for over four years to control his severe paranoia and hallucinations, and he never suffered any side effects at all. For him, it gave him a quality of life that tbh, was worth the risk of the side effects, as he had been suffering so badly and living in constant terror.

Hellyg

Nov 18, 2014
Midlands
Hello

To echo the other comments, all medications have a different impact on different people, however the impact of risperidone on my husband who also has FTD has been positive. He is much calmer, repetitive and obsessional thoughts have reduced and aggression which he was displaying is gone. I sometime wonder if it is disease progression, but then remind myself the changes happened when he started the medication.

Side effects have been weight gain, but against the alternative of the behaviours which were making me reach the point where I could not cope with him, it is a side effect worth paying. Importantly he seems happier, a friend also commented that he seems calmer than he has been in years.

Georgina63

Aug 11, 2014
Hi beffy
My Dad has been on it for about four months after aggressive/violent behaviour. It has helped and he is calmer, though has put on weight (a possible side effect) and is quite sleepy. We are now working towards a reduction of the dose, but I would say it was a positive thing being on it. Georgina.

JigJog

Nov 6, 2013
Hello

To echo the other comments, all medications have a different impact on different people, however the impact of risperidone on my husband who also has FTD has been positive. He is much calmer, repetitive and obsessional thoughts have reduced and aggression which he was displaying is gone. I sometime wonder if it is disease progression, but then remind myself the changes happened when he started the medication.

Side effects have been weight gain, but against the alternative of the behaviours which were making me reach the point where I could not cope with him, it is a side effect worth paying. Importantly he seems happier, a friend also commented that he seems calmer than he has been in years.

Oh Hellyg,

You have given me hope. As you say, 'all medications have a different impact on different people' but reading your comment has made me feel a little more hopeful.

My husband is four years into FTD. His agitation, repetitiveness, obsessions and aggression were making me think that I'd reached my limit with him.

The consultant has put him on Risperidone this afternoon and we can just hope.

Does it work quite quickly? Like 20 minutes! :D

Fingers crossed.
JigJog x

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Oh Hellyg,

You have given me hope. As you say, 'all medications have a different impact on different people' but reading your comment has made me feel a little more hopeful.

My husband is four years into FTD. His agitation, repetitiveness, obsessions and aggression were making me think that I'd reached my limit with him.

Fingers crossed.
JigJog x

I was told it could take a few weeks to reach full effectiveness, particularly as my husband's dose had to be increased slowly. However, I noticed a difference almost immediately. Certainly within a couple of days.

JigJog

Nov 6, 2013
I was told it could take a few weeks to reach full effectiveness, particularly as my husband's dose had to be increased slowly. However, I noticed a difference almost immediately. Certainly within a couple of days.

Then I go forward feeling more positive - for now! :)

Thank you!
JigJog x

Hellyg

Nov 18, 2014
Midlands
Oh Hellyg,

Fingers crossed.
JigJog x

Yes give it 2 weeks to fully take effect, although I think you will see some improvement in 3 days to a week. What doseage is he on my husband started on 0.5mg morning and evening with the intention to build it up, which they did to 1mg morning and evening. That lasted 1 year, we recently up it to 2mg at night due to one repetitive thought getting out of hand, however I realise now we should have done this sooner and I just coped thinking I had to... repetitive thoughts now almost competely gone.

Hellyg

Nov 18, 2014
Midlands
Yes give it 2 weeks to fully take effect, although I think you will see some improvement in 3 days to a week. What doseage is he on my husband started on 0.5mg morning and evening with the intention to build it up, which they did to 1mg morning and evening. That lasted 1 year, we recently up it to 2mg at night due to one repetitive thought getting out of hand, however I realise now we should have done this sooner and I just coped thinking I had to... repetitive thoughts now almost competely gone.

Should also add to give you reassurance the aggression completely gone, I now have a large complaint child that wants me to be happy with what he has done. If he has a shower and I say well done, he look so pleased with himself, prior to that it was a battle.

JigJog

Nov 6, 2013
Yes give it 2 weeks to fully take effect, although I think you will see some improvement in 3 days to a week. What doseage is he on my husband started on 0.5mg morning and evening with the intention to build it up, which they did to 1mg morning and evening.

He's being started on a low dose, just 0.5mg once a day.

JigJog

Nov 6, 2013
Should also add to give you reassurance the aggression completely gone, I now have a large complaint child that wants me to be happy with what he has done. If he has a shower and I say well done, he look so pleased with himself, prior to that it was a battle.

That's wonderful. I'm hoping for similar positive improvements.
Thank you
JigJog x

John_D

Aug 2, 2017
john_D

HI, MY HUSBAND IS IN 2ND YEAR OF FTD And has been put on risperidone, has anyone any experience of thid drug and what can I expect, is it too much to hope for a quieter life ?

Good evening. Yes my wife was put on Risperidone. She has been doagnoised for 5 plus years. After about 1.5 weeks i noticed that she started to get a stiff neck. I notified the doctor, who reduced the doseage to 0.25mg twice a day, the problem then esculated to her head falling forward, so he then said stop the meds, but after a few days said to put her back on it but only 0.25mg once a day. Nothing emproved and her head not only fell forward but to the left also. The doctor has now stopped the medication, and i am currently waiting for him to give her something else, as she is very resistent to any help. The doctor has told me that this side effect only happens to about 1% and my wife was just unlucky. So all i can say is check it out and be carefull

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Good evening. Yes my wife was put on Risperidone. She has been doagnoised for 5 plus years. After about 1.5 weeks i noticed that she started to get a stiff neck. I notified the doctor, who reduced the doseage to 0.25mg twice a day, the problem then esculated to her head falling forward, so he then said stop the meds, but after a few days said to put her back on it but only 0.25mg once a day. Nothing emproved and her head not only fell forward but to the left also. The doctor has now stopped the medication, and i am currently waiting for him to give her something else, as she is very resistent to any help. The doctor has told me that this side effect only happens to about 1% and my wife was just unlucky. So all i can say is check it out and be carefull

Oh, that's such a pity, John's. Because when it works well, as it did for my husband, it can make such a difference. Hopefully, the doctors can find something else that will suit your wife better.