Knee high Moisturising Socks

Azay28

Nov 21, 2015
Hi all
My Mum's carer left a note suggesting I try and get some long moisturising socks but after looking online and only finding ankle ones, I'm now at a loss as to where to try. Has anyone got a suggestion of where to look?
Thanks
Asay:)

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
I'm not sure if they exist. It might be easier to provide foot moisturiser or something like vaseline, and buy a suitable pair of knee high socks she can wear once moisturiser has been applied?

Azay28

Nov 21, 2015
I'm not sure if they exist. It might be easier to provide foot moisturiser or something like vaseline, and buy a suitable pair of knee high socks she can wear once moisturiser has been applied?

That's a great idea. Thanks x

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
What I saw someone do is to use a spray on moisturiser, then a pop sock and top off with a normal knee high sock. Apparently the pop sock doesn't stick to the leg in the same way a normal sock can if it dries out.
I've no idea what the science behind it is, a visitor told the carers that was the best way to treat her mum's leg condition, I can only guess the fibres in normal socks might stick more than whatever they make pop socks out of, nylon?
K

Azay28

Nov 21, 2015
What I saw someone do is to use a spray on moisturiser, then a pop sock and top off with a normal knee high sock. Apparently the pop sock doesn't stick to the leg in the same way a normal sock can if it dries out.
I've no idea what the science behind it is, a visitor told the carers that was the best way to treat her mum's leg condition, I can only guess the fibres in normal socks might stick more than whatever they make pop socks out of, nylon?
K

Thank you a good thing to know
Azay

Loopiloo

May 10, 2010
Scotland
I have never heard of long or knee length moisturising socks. (nor ankle ones!) I am guessing your Mum’s legs suffer from dry skin but wondered if perhaps she has any specific problem causing the dryness?

I do have a leg condition called lymphoedema and have to wear compression stockings. a knee length on one leg and a full length (to thigh) on the other. The therapist recommends Diprobase cream, an emollient. It is not sticky.

“ For the treatment of eczema, and other dry sin conditions…relieves and soothes red, inflamed, damaged, dry or chapped skin. Can also be used to protect raw skin…”

Another one that carers use is called Doublebase Gel. I don't know why it is called a 'gel' as it is a white cream! More 'oily' than the Diprobase.

There are others but those seem to be the main two prescribed by doctors for dry skin.

You could ask your Mum’s GP - or a district nurse - for advice, also about stockings. You definitely don’t want a stocking that sticks and lots of older people have their legs creamed and also wear knee length stockings for various reasons. The medics would keep you right.

Good luck
Loo

Azay28

Nov 21, 2015
I have never heard of long or knee length moisturising socks. (nor ankle ones!) I am guessing your Mum’s legs suffer from dry skin but wondered if perhaps she has any specific problem causing the dryness?

I do have a leg condition called lymphoedema and have to wear compression stockings. a knee length on one leg and a full length (to thigh) on the other. The therapist recommends Diprobase cream, an emollient. It is not sticky.

Another one that carers use is called Doublebase Gel. I don't know why it is called a 'gel' as it is a white cream! More 'oily' than the Diprobase.

There are others but those seem to be the main two prescribed by doctors for dry skin.

You could ask your Mum’s GP - or a district nurse - for advice, also about stockings. You definitely don’t want a stocking that sticks and lots of older people have their legs creamed and also wear knee length stockings for various reasons. The medics would keep you right.

Good luck
Loo

Thanks yes I know of these creams as my daughter has eczema. Mum does get dry skin on her legs but don't think it's linked to anything in particular. Using creams like extra strong E45 does the trick and between myself and carer they seem fine to me. Not sure why carer recommended socks unless it was to save her creaming them( which she does twice a week)or maybe to stop mum scratching which she does but only rarely. I will certainly check with her GP next time if her legs seem worse. For now they don't seem to be much of an issue while being creamed regularly.
Thanks again all advice very welcome :)
Azay x

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
save her creaming them( which she does twice a week

Twice a week:eek: Twice a day would be nearer the mark and washed each time that's what happens to the lady in care with my wife.
Every morning and night they sit her in a chair in one of the wet rooms, take the socks off, wash her legs and reapply the cream and new socks.
I don't know what the condition is, it's dry, scaly looking skin, it isn't psoriasis or eczema nor does it look ulcerative more like a dry tissue condition of some sort.
I'd get the GP to look at it and see if you can get a diagnosis but I wouldn't be leaving the same cream on for days at a time.
K

Azay28

Nov 21, 2015
Twice a week:eek: Twice a day would be nearer the mark and washed each time that's what happens to the lady in care with my wife.
Every morning and night they sit her in a chair in one of the wet rooms, take the socks off, wash her legs and reapply the cream and new socks.
I don't know what the condition is, it's dry, scaly looking skin, it isn't psoriasis or eczema nor does it look ulcerative more like a dry tissue condition of some sort.
I'd get the GP to look at it and see if you can get a diagnosis but I wouldn't be leaving the same cream on for days at a time.
K

Mum lives in sheltered accommodation and only has carers visit 2x a week so that's why a carer only does it twice.And I do it after her shower whenever I can persuade her to have one! Her skin wasn't scaly by any means just dry. I'll be keeping an eye on it for sure and talking to her GP at next visit.

Maggiemol

Feb 28, 2017
Devon
Hi all
My Mum's carer left a note suggesting I try and get some long moisturising socks but after looking online and only finding ankle ones, I'm now at a loss as to where to try. Has anyone got a suggestion of where to look?
Thanks
Asay:)

My OH has terrible problems with dry skin on his legs due to heart failure and poor circulation. He was prescribed Zipzocs which might be rather more than your Mum needs. As his legs are improving slightly I am now using plenty of his doublecase gel and then covering his legs with comfifast tubular bandage, (you just cut a length to fit). It protects his trousers and means I can put on a thick coat of cream. Hope this helps.

Azay28

Nov 21, 2015
My OH has terrible problems with dry skin on his legs due to heart failure and poor circulation. He was prescribed Zipzocs which might be rather more than your Mum needs. As his legs are improving slightly I am now using plenty of his doublecase gel and then covering his legs with comfifast tubular bandage, (you just cut a length to fit). It protects his trousers and means I can put on a thick coat of cream. Hope this helps.

Thank you it does give me another idea.
A