Do people with late stage dementia have epileptic fits?

pfk

Jul 28, 2017
Hi,

My mother is 82 and has advanced dementia. She's in a care home and has a couple of instances lately where she has been described as being 'unresponsive'. The first time she was sent to the hospital with a suspected stroke, but all her vitals etc were fine and when we got to the hospital there was no evidence of any problem. Today a similar thing happened. They said she was frothing at the mouth and limp, but didn't think it was urgent so just called the doctor. She's now sleeping. I'd be interested to know if fits are to be expected and if anyone has any similar experiences. Thanks.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
My husband was put on medication after he had two severe seizures when he was in late stage dementia. Once on the medication he didn't have another.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Hi,

My mother is 82 and has advanced dementia. She's in a care home and has a couple of instances lately where she has been described as being 'unresponsive'. The first time she was sent to the hospital with a suspected stroke, but all her vitals etc were fine and when we got to the hospital there was no evidence of any problem. Today a similar thing happened. They said she was frothing at the mouth and limp, but didn't think it was urgent so just called the doctor. She's now sleeping. I'd be interested to know if fits are to be expected and if anyone has any similar experiences. Thanks.

Hello pfk, and welcome to Talking point.

I've no personal experience with what you describe, but I do know that there are at least a couple of members whose loved ones do indeed suffer seizures connected to their dementia. I suppose when you think about it, dementia does cause damage to the brain, so depending on what areas of the brain are damaged, it would be a likely symptom in some cases.

lemonjuice

Jun 15, 2016
England
. . I do know that there are at least a couple of members whose loved ones do indeed suffer seizures connected to their dementia. I suppose when you think about it, dementia does cause damage to the brain, so depending on what areas of the brain are damaged, it would be a likely symptom in some cases.
One of those is me.

My mother often used to have episodes of 'Aletered State of Consciousness' and then about 2 years ago she developed proper tonic and sometimes tonic/clonic seizures. At one time she had several in one day. Mainly I believe because they didn't realize what was happening and did everything 'normal' so she had another event. We've now been clear for 2 months, which is almost the longest time we've had.

She does also have tias and they reckon that 9 months afterwards they suffer from the lesions created and that would fit with my mother's pattern.

irismary

Feb 7, 2015
West Midlands
My husband recently had a seizure which they have assumed is related to the stroke he had last year and it has advanced his dementia quite a bit. He was originally diagnosed with Alzheimer's but I am told it is now mixed dementia due to vascular issues. The doctor said brain damage from Alzheimer's or the stroke could have caused it. No medication at this stage unless he has another. I have noticed he seems absent sometimes and takes a while to respond but his eyes are open - of course he may be distracted by something - very hard to tell.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Hi pfk, welcome to TP
I don't think they have "epileptic fits (unless they're an epileptic. By coincidence nitram started a thread earlier today about delirium which I think is more likely what you're seeing. It's not that uncommon my wife has some days when she has to stay in bed and becomes unresponsive, it's usually just a day but some people disappear into their rooms for days at a time.
It is a nursing home so there is always at least one qualified nurse in each section and if they feel it necessary they get a doctor in, they have an arrangement with a medical centre so this usually happens pretty quickly.
K

https://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/sho...delirium-A-quick-guide-for-care-home-managers

lemonjuice

Jun 15, 2016
England
Hi pfk, welcome to TP
I don't think they have "epileptic fits (unless they're an epileptic. By coincidence nitram started a thread earlier today about delirium which I think is more likely what you're seeing.

Actually having never suffered from epilepsy before, though she did have these episodes of 'lack of consciousness for years, these latest bouts have indeed been tonic/clonic seizures with all the shaking / tonguue biting etc. I presume the brain is just so damaged,as she is completely immobile, unable to do absolutely anything for herself, talk or even comprehend anything said to her.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Actually having never suffered from epilepsy before, though she did have these episodes of 'lack of consciousness for years, these latest bouts have indeed been tonic/clonic seizures with all the shaking / tonguue biting etc. I presume the brain is just so damaged,as she is completely immobile, unable to do absolutely anything for herself, talk or even comprehend anything said to her.

I was addressing the symptoms the OP described which are completely different to the symptoms you're describing which may or may not crop up later with pfk's mum.
K

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
My understanding is that when you have a stroke (or a mini-stroke) the subsequent healing and scarring can produce a seizure. My mother had these and was finally put on medication to reduce them.

http://www.strokenetwork.org/newsletter/articles/seizures.htm

It's actually fairly common although it might not be entirely obvious unless it's a full blown seizure.

Epilepsy is a neurological disorder in which recurrent seizures occur that cannot be associated with other specific causes. Seizures, as well as the onset of epilepsy, can occur after a stroke. Having one seizure after a stroke does not necessarily mean a person has epilepsy; however, if chronic and recurring seizures are a result of a stroke, then a stroke survivor may be diagnosed with epilepsy.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
My husband had never had a stroke nor had suffered from epilepsy and the seizures were not just altered states of consciousness but very severe.
The second one happened when he was in the Resuscitation room in the hospital after being taken there by ambulance from his nursing home. I was called and met him there. He was attached to the monitoring machines and they went absolutely haywire when it happened and it lasted for some minutes. He was kept in overnight, put on anti-epileptic medication and went back to the nursing home the following evening.

Oddly enough, when I visited him both in the afternoon before he left the hospital and the following morning in the home, he was the clearest mentally that he had been for ages. The nurse in the NH thought it might have been because he could have missed his usual medication of which he had a lot as he had numerous other medical problems but could have been as a result of the seizures. This didn't last until the next day. The doctor said there was no benefit in him being sent to the hospital if it happened again but with the medication it never did though he died a few months later.

Last edited:

lemonjuice

Jun 15, 2016
England
Oddly enough, when I visited him both in the afternoon before he left the hospital and the following morning in the home, he was the clearest mentally that he had been for ages. The nurse in the NH thought it might have been because he could have missed his unusual medication of which he had a lot as he had numerous other medical problems but could have been as a result of the seizures. This didn't last until the next day.
I and the carers at the NH have noticed how much more 'mentally alert' my mother is after one of these 'episodes'. In fact that's one reason we realise she's had another 'event' because she is either 'brewing one' or recovering from one, if she starts 'becoming aware of her surroundings'.It is as if the seizure/ tia whatever they are, 'kick start' or 'reboot' the brain for a short while?

Last edited:

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
I and the carers at the NH have noticed how much more 'mentally alert' my motehr is after one of these 'episodes'. In fact that's one reason we realise she's had another 'event' because she is either 'brewing one' or recovering from one, if she starts 'becoming aware of her surroundings'.It is as if the seizure/ tia whatever they are. 'kick start' or 'reboot' the brain for a short while?

I thinks that makes a lot of sense.