In denial

Amethyst59

Jul 3, 2017
Kent
OH woke me at 5.20 this morning...ranting about his clothes. It doesn't even make sense, there's no point typing everything he said...he is sleeping again now. I just can't come to terms with how quickly he is deteriorating. I keep thinking I will get my husband back and we will have a laugh at the things he has said and done. He gets angry with me...and I have never seen him angry before. We were both widowed in 2008, and married in 2012, so I haven't known him for a really long time and sometimes I don't know whether it is the dementia I'm seeing, or what is 'normal' for him.
I just can't accept this...I want my life back. I thought dementia was supposed to be a slow progression? I know I sound selfish, but he has absolutely no awareness of how this is affecting me. He is just full of himself and his problems. I feel like I am not a wife, I am just here to facilitate his life. I gave up work when he had cancer, a few months after we married... and then we decided I wouldn't go back, but that we would enjoy retirement. (He is 19 years older than me). Well, that lasted 18 months, and then he was diagnosed with dementia.
I feel like life/fate is having a damned good laugh at me. My late husband and I were married for four years before he was diagnosed with cancer, and he died five long years later. When my present husband got cancer, I returned to the counsellor at the hospice...and do you know...she suggested that my purpose in life...that I had been put on this earth...to ease the lives and passing of older men. My destiny. Now I feel like my life is on hold again...until I am widowed...again.

Mannie

Mar 13, 2014
Bracknell area
OH woke me at 5.20 this morning...ranting about his clothes. It doesn't even make sense, there's no point typing everything he said...he is sleeping again now. I just can't come to terms with how quickly he is deteriorating. I keep thinking I will get my husband back and we will have a laugh at the things he has said and done. He gets angry with me...and I have never seen him angry before. We were both widowed in 2008, and married in 2012, so I haven't known him for a really long time and sometimes I don't know whether it is the dementia I'm seeing, or what is 'normal' for him.
I just can't accept this...I want my life back. I thought dementia was supposed to be a slow progression? I know I sound selfish, but he has absolutely no awareness of how this is affecting me. He is just full of himself and his problems. I feel like I am not a wife, I am just here to facilitate his life. I gave up work when he had cancer, a few months after we married... and then we decided I wouldn't go back, but that we would enjoy retirement. (He is 19 years older than me). Well, that lasted 18 months, and then he was diagnosed with dementia.
I feel like life/fate is having a damned good laugh at me. My late husband and I were married for four years before he was diagnosed with cancer, and he died five long years later. When my present husband got cancer, I returned to the counsellor at the hospice...and do you know...she suggested that my purpose in life...that I had been put on this earth...to ease the lives and passing of older men. My destiny. Now I feel like my life is on hold again...until I am widowed...again.

Yes your situation sounds so very difficult for many reasons. Have you called the hotline. I feel that they would be very helpful, since you need and deserve a lot of moral and practical support.
L