Shaving

Everton Annie

Feb 25, 2015
Hatfield Hertfordshire
Okay some words of wisdom needed please. Husband has young onset Alzheimer's and I suspect is heading into the severe end. He has been in respite for 2 weeks and, this time, was settled. He asked one of the carer's to shave him which he did each day. My husband had always had a beard as he hated shaving daily and I have been getting quite adept at trimming it for him. Since being home he has been obssessing about his face needing to be shaved as it is rough. So electric razor out and after 10 min not too bad a job thinks I. Husband says not good enough and half an hour later he's upstairs shaving again and an hour later the same thing. He tells me he used to go to London every "time" to get a shave with someone who knew what they are doing and can I take him as it is just down the road and over a bit! Thought he had forgotten until this morning when he complains that his beard seems to grow while he is asleep so I say, yes that's what happens. NO, NO IT ISN'T! So we start again. I could start taking him to the local barber but he is suspicious about him knowing how to do it properly, also seems to think it is tied in with his hair as he can't do it as he can't get his arm round the back. Anyone else had to deal with this? Thanks for reading

Casbow

Sep 3, 2013
Colchester
Okay some words of wisdom needed please. Husband has young onset Alzheimer's and I suspect is heading into the severe end. He has been in respite for 2 weeks and, this time, was settled. He asked one of the carer's to shave him which he did each day. My husband had always had a beard as he hated shaving daily and I have been getting quite adept at trimming it for him. Since being home he has been obssessing about his face needing to be shaved as it is rough. So electric razor out and after 10 min not too bad a job thinks I. Husband says not good enough and half an hour later he's upstairs shaving again and an hour later the same thing. He tells me he used to go to London every "time" to get a shave with someone who knew what they are doing and can I take him as it is just down the road and over a bit! Thought he had forgotten until this morning when he complains that his beard seems to grow while he is asleep so I say, yes that's what happens. NO, NO IT ISN'T! So we start again. I could start taking him to the local barber but he is suspicious about him knowing how to do it properly, also seems to think it is tied in with his hair as he can't do it as he can't get his arm round the back. Anyone else had to deal with this? Thanks for reading
Hi there. This is a new problem. Well its the first I have heard. Maybe there is someone else that can relate to the shaving problem and advise. My husband has never been bothered about how a shave turns out. Just used to use electric shaver and whizzed round. Now either I or the care home staff whizz round instead. None of which is any help to you. So I hope someone else can help you. Good luck.xx

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
I've tried electric razors over the years, one of the kids bought me one and I was so unimpressed I didn't buy the company (for anyone old enough to remember the ad).
Electric razors never left my skin feeling "clean" and even the wet shavers left my skin feeling itchier than before I'd shaved.
If you don't clean an electric shaver properly they stop working properly...frankly I hate them, never seen one worth getting yet even men I know say they're quicker not better to use. Add to that they gave me a feeling like I had a rash (which sometimes I did) from using them.
Disposing of unwanted body hair isn't just a male problem it just affects different parts of the body and the best method isn't the same for all people.
K

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Shaving along with all the other male bathroom issues drives me mad. I have just been consulting my son in law about how often to change a Mach 3 blade - each week he says. My husband likes to be clean shaven so every now and then I take him to a Kurdish barber and he gets the open razor treatment with steaming etc. Very good result!

PalSal

Dec 4, 2011
Pratteln Switzerland

No idea about the shaving....sorry.:confused: But just wanted to brace you that very early onset does not necessarily indicate an early demise. My husband was 49 and is now 64. He is very very fit--as I make sure he has lots of exercise and activity each week. It is a long goodbye.....we are 15 years into the process and I do not expect it to end soon. I could easily pass before he does.:rolleyes:

Everton Annie

Feb 25, 2015
Hatfield Hertfordshire
Thank you all for your responses. It was a problem again today but got rolled into the general confusion going on at the moment. My husband is 67, diagnosed 2.5 years ago but I can take early symptoms back 7 years. His decline has been rapid in the last year not giving us time to catch our breath. Might see if I ignore it and he might let the beard grow back but he does seem to be suffering from sensory issues quite a bit at the moment. I really don't want to have to wet shave as any nicks would be awful. Thanks again, as always nice to know you're not alone.

Tara62

Feb 25, 2015
West Yorkshire and East Anglia
My father used an electric shaver for years and years, but he has recently developed an obsession with being wet-shaved. He's always asking for another shave, and then fussing with his face and saying that the hair has grown again.

minstrel6

Nov 25, 2015
isle of wight
Thank you all for your responses. It was a problem again today but got rolled into the general confusion going on at the moment. My husband is 67, diagnosed 2.5 years ago but I can take early symptoms back 7 years. His decline has been rapid in the last year not giving us time to catch our breath. Might see if I ignore it and he might let the beard grow back but he does seem to be suffering from sensory issues quite a bit at the moment. I really don't want to have to wet shave as any nicks would be awful. Thanks again, as always nice to know you're not alone.

My husband doesn't like to shave with either an electric or ordinary razor.He says it hurts.He becomes cross if I attempt to shave him so he never has a clean shave.He has vascular dementia and is 87.