Noises and heavy breathing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aureilhan

Jun 19, 2017
SW UK
I have posted a previous chat and received fantastic support and advice but here is another point on which I would appreciate comments.

My OH has what I think is now AD at the moderate stage. He has recently started making noises and breathes really loudly. Because he is very clingy - childlike - I cannot escape these noises and breathing. He is by my side all the time and follows me room by room. I should say the breathing is over and above normal but my OH has had a physical exam with the GP who can find no reason for it from his point of view. So have to deduce it is down to the AD. The noises are similar to a continuous shushing, shushing, shushing.

Does anyone else suffer? If he sits quietly he does not do it. It is getting me down as I can't get away from it. Anyone got experience and used ear plugs for example?

Thank you everyone for the advice under my previous post "Going Out" it's so good to know support is available.

Aureilhan

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
I would recommend ear plugs, good quality ones. Over the years my mum has made some very strange repetitive noises, as well as days when we have continual chatter, can't distract her, she does not know why, cannot ignore it, so I go for my ear plugs!

Savingsqueen

Jan 12, 2017
My mum sniffs and sighs continuously. It's infuriating. If I suggest she uses a tissue she wants to know why - she doesn't know she is doing it. So it's a case of grit my teeth and if it gets too much, walk away for a while. I feel your pain!

polly148

May 18, 2017
Noises!

I totally understand where your coming from, my partner has AD, he's generally easy to manage so far, but the constant noises he makes as if he's eating is definitely hard to cope with at times especially in the car. Clicking and sounds like he's chewing gum all the time, im trying to ignore it hoping it stops soon ... we need lots of patience lol

Early Girlie

Jul 5, 2015
St Albans
Yes, here too. Heavy breathing, a range of weird noises and, the very worst, constant sighing. The sighing bothered me hugely for quite a while. I couldn't work out what was wrong, what he needed, how to respond. If I asked what was wrong, the answer, of course, was 'nothing'. So I tried second-guessing - are you warm enough, hungry, thirsty, etc? No, every time. Eventually I realised there was no point trying to interpret a sigh. It was just a sigh. So I ignore the sighing now, but it does really get on my nerves, and then it's time to leave the room.

EG

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
Sometimes boiled sweets help, my mum loves lemon sherbets, went through a lot of these back in the day, now she tends to like wine gums.

Clunchman

Account on hold
Dec 6, 2016
Ha! So I am not the only one who suffers from this then? :D
My wife with vascular dementia makes some weird and wonderful noses. She does not often do the sniffing, but when she does it is for a long time and really grates, each time waiting for her to do it again. Offers of tissue make little difference. Plus there are the continued groans, and if she moves, out of a chair, out of into bed, etc, it's "Ooerrrgh" half a dozen times and ask what is wrong and I just get a blank look.

I don't know the answer. Try and leave the room to make a coffee is one thing I do. But as she will now not drink tea, coffee, horlicks, cocoa, or other hot drinks, it can only be if I want one. (Feel more in need of a double gold watch, but can't as have to be able to drive if needed for her. ;) )

Jean’s daughter

Dec 29, 2021
Late to the party I know but I’m so glad I’ve read these comments and know it’s not just me. My mum heavy breaths and whimpers and it drives me crazy. I can’t stand it. It grates on me like you wouldn’t believe. I walk away a lot, which in turn then makes me feel guilty. Like everything with this horrible disease, it’s all a vicious circle.
I hope it’s just a phase like everything else ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tori_75