May help

Elaine68

Jul 20, 2017
Sheffield
My son's boss came up with a great invention that i never thought about and i wanted to share it with you and that was to get a white board and start with the day and date then list everything that applys to your partner like meals if they have eaten they just tick at the side and when they say they have not had a meal you can show them they have because they have ticked it.
We have 3 little dogs but because my partner likes to feed them sometimes he does not know he has hence they don't get food or they get 2 meals lucky for them but they are beginning to put weight on.
It's just a thought it might help you i am putting this into practice today and hope it works there is no harm in trying it and it just means i am not constantly asking have you done this have you done that. The next point will he remember to tick it we shall see i will get back to you in a few days and let you know.
My partner is only in the early stages and as yet not been diagnosed till we go back 9th August but he's still challenging i feel as if i have a little hope in my life if this works.
If anyone else as tried this please let me know how you got on.

DMac

Jul 18, 2015
Surrey, UK
If anyone else as tried this please let me know how you got on.

Hello Elaine, and welcome to TP :)

Yes, I tried something similar with my mother-in-law (MIL). Unfortunately, she lost the ability to interpret what she was reading, so in her case it didn't work. I think the progression of her illness was (at that time) quite rapid, so she may not be typical.

Give it a go, and please let us know how your partner gets on. Good luck!

Early Girlie

Jul 5, 2015
St Albans
Hi Elaine
Yes, this is a great tip and it does work. I used to use a notebook for quite a while, but then Hubby started closing it, and that was that - out of sight, out of mind. So now we have a small whiteboard and he glances at it every few minutes. It's very reassuring, as is our calendar clock which tells him what day it is.
The only thing I've realised that you might also experience, is that ticking things off doesn't work. Hubby forgets to tick, and then thinks he hasn't done them, or convinces himself that he has, and then worries about whether he has or not, and so it goes on.
So I've devised ways for me to know without him needing to tick. For example, I move the dog bowl to a slightly different place last thing at night. If it's still there when I get home the next day, the dog hasn't been fed. And I put his breakfast cereal on a higher shelf. If it's back in the place he leaves it, then I know he's had breakfast. Hope this helps.

EG

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Another problem that can arise later on as the dementia progresses is that they dont believe what is on the white board. I was clearly trying to trick mum because she knew that she hadnt done the things that I'd written on the board :rolleyes:

Elaine68

Jul 20, 2017
Sheffield
Only time will tell

Many thanks everyone for answering me everything went well with the ticking yesterday and to days going well but how long it will be before he gives up on it I do not know.
Another problem showing it's self he wants to just sit in his dressing gown not sure what this is about but quite happy to spend 3 days like it and even wonder round the front garden not bothering who sees him.
Today I just feel like crying I am so low but if I start I may not stop and I don't want to upset him he can not help it.
Glad I can pass how I feel on to someone else that understands the situation thank you.

Amethyst59

Jul 3, 2017
Kent
We have just started using a dry wipe board because my husband cannot interpret the calendar any more. So far, I have divided it into two days...what we are doing today and tomorrow. It is working...for now.

Elaine68

Jul 20, 2017
Sheffield
Things not good

Hi this ticking things is not going the way I thought it might my partner is just not interested any more with it and just prefers to keep asking me the same question what day is it.
He got me up at 6am this morning to go to church I am rushing round getting ready then it suddenly dawned on me what the time was and what day I was on he said it was Sunday and no I did not get back into bed but I have had an hours sleep this afternoon while he was sleeping just to boost the batteries.
Up to now things are stable he's got no worse thank goodness but roll on when we go back to the memory clinic for them results will keep you up to date.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
When OH stopped doing things it was because he had forgotten what to do. So make sure your husband knows how to dress and what to where. I had to sit and give him his clothes one by one for several years.
Otherwise we got several new looks, like the superman look, jumpers on legs, leaving pjs on, then dressing!