Help from the GP

Moggymad

May 12, 2017
Uti & resistance

Last year my mum had frequent uti's. Once the last one was cleared the doc put her on a preventative dose with my agreement but did warn it can sometimes lead to resistance. All was well for 6 mths - fantastic, then out of the blue another uti. This was treated with higher dose of same antibiotic which helped but didn't clear. Infection was now resistant. Different antibiotics eventually cleared it but the old preventative dose has been stopped now. Since then 4 uti's in 7 wks! Nightmare. Asked doc if preventative dose of current antibiotics could be given but refused saying the particular bug in question is resistant to 5 of the antibiotics they prescribe & danger is will eventually get resistant to this one too. Running out of options, don't know what will happen. On subject of causes of uti, it can be a mixture of different things including cleanliness & constipation but ageing muscles, improper emptying of bladder all play their part. Mum is in care & wears pads & pullups all the time this is also a factor but what can you do? She is incontinent.

oilovlam

Aug 2, 2015
South East
Last year my mum had frequent uti's. Once the last one was cleared the doc put her on a preventative dose with my agreement but did warn it can sometimes lead to resistance. All was well for 6 mths - fantastic, then out of the blue another uti. This was treated with higher dose of same antibiotic which helped but didn't clear. Infection was now resistant. Different antibiotics eventually cleared it but the old preventative dose has been stopped now. Since then 4 uti's in 7 wks! Nightmare. Asked doc if preventative dose of current antibiotics could be given but refused saying the particular bug in question is resistant to 5 of the antibiotics they prescribe & danger is will eventually get resistant to this one too. Running out of options, don't know what will happen. On subject of causes of uti, it can be a mixture of different things including cleanliness & constipation but ageing muscles, improper emptying of bladder all play their part. Mum is in care & wears pads & pullups all the time this is also a factor but what can you do? She is incontinent.

Moggymad, it sounds like you've been through difficult times. I do realise that UTI's are a difficult thing to tackle. With some people they are more common than others & are difficult to prevent. Sounds like your GP is at least proactive. Although you're now running out of options.

Anti-biotic resistance is becoming a serious issue within the NHS....they aren't finding any new anti-biotics.

If only there was a way to protect older people from getting UTI's.....I wonder what they do in China. Maybe rhino horn:rolleyes:

I wish you luck....it sounds like you are trying the best you can for your mum. Sometimes biology just works against us.

Coulddobetter

Oct 19, 2016
What's a maintenance dose?

If you're talking about a constant supply of antibiotics then I didn't know they did that....anti-biotics are supposed to be used for a short period of time. They are worried about bugs becoming resistant to anti-biotics aren't they?

Definition I found: "the amount of drug required to keep a desired mean steady-state concentration in the tissues."

Sorry, maintenance dose is a daily dose of anti-biopics to prevent a UTI. As I said, it has had a beneficial effect for my Mum, for over two years now. Mum is on Trimethoprine, has 10ml I think, daily. Last UTIs were in spring of 2015' two in one month.

Jo Sutton

Jul 8, 2016
Surrey
My Mum is also on a maintenance dose of antibiotics to prevent UTIs. She takes a pill (Nitrofurantoin) every day, and also an oestrogen cream applied locally to the vagina, twice a week.

She hasn't had a UTI since she started taking them :)

Hugs

Jo xx