Quick bit of help please

ellejay

Jan 28, 2011
Essex
Im visiting mum & a carer is, in my opinion, being not very pleasant to residents. One lady who said she wanted to leave to see her children was told in no uncertain terms that she couldnt leave, no one could leave, the doors are locked. As others got upset & joined in she just said more
Of the same.
I've sneaked off to mums room to write this. Should I say something to someone?
Lin x

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Im visiting mum & a carer is, in my opinion, being not very pleasant to residents. One lady who said she wanted to leave to see her children was told in no uncertain terms that she couldnt leave, no one could leave, the doors are locked. As others got upset & joined in she just said more
Of the same.
Lin x

I would have a word with the Manager. I would class this as bullying.

XX

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi ellejay
I'd be unhappy too, especially as you say other residents became upset also
what was said could possibly be the only way to deal with that individual resident - I know the carers at dad's home respond to each resident in a way that best suits the resident
but what you heard sounds to have been unhelpful
worth mentioning to the senior or manager in low key way, so they are aware and can intervene
best wishes

ellejay

Jan 28, 2011
Essex
It was the carers attitude, very loud voice, telling this lady over and over that she wasn't allowed to leave, this is a care home & you have to stay here. As others joined in she just got louder, telling them " You're all in a care home, we have to look after you, you can't leave the doors are locked"

She left the room & I spoke to the upset lady, asked about her children & she cheered up a bit.

The carer came back, leaned right close to mums face & bellowed " Do you want to go the hairdresser?" I said mum wasn't deaf, there was no need to shout. " Oh isn't she?" said the carer.

Then she went to collect another resident for the hairdresser, resident told her she was a bully so another round of loud words. She said to me she would be back for mum soon & so I just said if she was going to speak to her that way, don't bother. Of course she denied shouting at anyone & said she was doing her job, she's a carer.

When I went to get mum a cardi, the other resident was left in the corridor in the hallway asking people where the hairdresser was & from mums room I could hear the carer in the smoking area outside telling someone how I had been horrible to her.

I will go the managers meeting on Thurs.

Lin x

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
I'm dumbfounded!
Definitely I would complain, and list every single incident you heard. In writing. Those poor residents. And then THEY could get labelled as "challenging" when all they're doing is reacting to her treatment of them!

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi ellejay
is it possible for you to have a word today - if the 'carer' is already bad mouthing you to her colleagues the manager needs to hear from you before that 'carer'
sounds as though more training is needed, including how to read the residents' care plans; there's no excuse for the 'conversation' about your mum's hearing
unpleasant for all involved :(

Aisling

Dec 5, 2015
Ireland
I'm dumbfounded!
Definitely I would complain, and list every single incident you heard. In writing. Those poor residents. And then THEY could get labelled as "challenging" when all they're doing is reacting to her treatment of them!

Definitely agree with Lady A. Complain, write it all down and keep copies. In my opinion this behaviour is bullying.

Aisling xx

turbo

Aug 1, 2007
How horrible for the residents ellejay. It's not professional to complain about you to her colleagues either. She sounds like a bully. Definitely bring her behaviour up at the meeting on Thursday.

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
I'm another for putting the complaints down in writing. I would go to the manager and hand the complaints in, after explaining them.

That is completely unacceptable behaviour. I would also point out to the manager what you overheard the carer saying.

Pete R

Jul 26, 2014
Staffs
Lin x
Do the home have CCTV in the communal areas? Was anyone else, with capacity, present.

If yes and after you have spoken to the manager and this carer is still being employed I would dial 101 and report this as a crime.

Sections 20 The Criminal Justice and Courts Act 2015 provides an offence of ill treatment and wilful neglect by a care worker on an individual in their care.

I agree with Kassy no amount of further training will change this carer one bit. She should not be anywhere near vulnerable people.

I wish you all the best. :)

ellejay

Jan 28, 2011
Essex
I went to see the manager today, as soon as I mentioned the carer's name the manager said they'd had to speak to her before about her attitude & her over loud voice & that she was working her notice.

I told it all & manager agreed it was wrong & that they'd all been taught compassion & distraction, so this shouldn't have happened. it seems this carer "has no filter" . I said that if she has no filter & she's working with people who may have no filter you're asking for trouble.

Anyway, as advised, I'd printed out my version of events & gave them to her.

She said it will be put forward as a formal complaint & they'll write to me with the outcome.

Lin x

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
I've only just seen your post and am horrified. I'm so glad you reported it and are now doing it formally. That sort of attitude is totally unacceptable when supposedly caring for vulnerable people. I hope she leaves soon.

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
Terrible attitude from a carer. I hope she or he is being supervised while working out notice so she cannot repeat this behaviour.

Jo Sutton

Jul 8, 2016
Surrey
After a second incident (ie: the one you reported), I'm surprised the Manager hasn't escalated the notice period to immediate dismissal. Or at least suspension, pending investigation, which would obviously result in the already-confirmed dismissal.

This 'carer' should not be allowed near anyone vulnerable.

Just my two penn'rth

Hugs

Jo xx

jan.s

Sep 20, 2011
I've just read this and agree how awful it is. You have done the right thing for everyone in the CH, as they cannot complain. I had quite a discussion with someone about telling the truth. Apparently that is part of the "modern thinking" whereas I prefer to agree with them, or divert the conversation.

At Roger's CH, we had a brilliant nurse, who used diversionary tactics. When they ladies all started wanting to go home, he would say, OK, you sit there and wait for the number 53 bus; I'll tell you when it comes. They always did as they were told and completely forgot about going home!!

Glad you've got it sorted LJ