I've lost my ...

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Snoozing this morning about 20 minutes before getting up the dog and I were disturbed by my already dressed and behatted wife muttering to herself about losing a piece of jewellery. I know that this cannot be the case as I placed it in its usual overnight place at midnight last night but that is not good enough for my wife. I also know what she has done - taken it out, walked around the house with it in her hand and put it down somewhere - so with a grumble I get up and start looking.

This time it is a short search as, within a minute, I find it on top of a chest of drawers in the next bedroom. Typical behaviour in that she blames others for (at first) stealing then (when found) moving it, can't just leave it until I get up naturally but must have it seen to straightaway, demands that I put it on for her before I have even got dressed and has no real idea of the time of day. A person with dementia really can come across as self-centred without knowing it. Familiar to many who deal with dementia on a daily basis I dare say.

Last edited:

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
With us it was my husband`s wallet and keys.

I think , at times, I had the whole of TP `virtually` helping me find his wallet and keys.

He would put them in a safe place but the only problem was it was a different safe place every day.

I was accused of hiding them because I was always the one who found them.

Early Girlie

Jul 5, 2015
St Albans
We've come away for a week's holiday, and while I was packing Hubby's suitcase, each time I put something in, he would take it out and put it somewhere safe so we didn't forget it. It was actually quite funny although I didn't let him see me giggling as that would have made him cross. In the end I asked him to go and play with the dog in the garden so I could have a quick scout around some of his more regular safe places for anything I'd missed!

EG

Dillie

Feb 2, 2016
with us it was keys too. She used to ring me several times a day. accused me of stealing or hiding them. if it went to answer machine, she would say " dont know why you're doing this, this is beyond a joke!" They were always easy to find when we got there!

Ottillie

Jul 12, 2017
Snoozing this morning about 20 minutes before getting up the dog and I were disturbed by my already dressed and behatted wife muttering to herself about losing a piece of jewellery. I know that this cannot be the case as I placed it in its usual overnight place at midnight last night but that is not good enough for my wife. I also know what she has done - taken it out, walked around the house with it in her hand and put it down somewhere - so with a grumble I get up and start looking.

This time it is a short search as, within a minute, I find it on top of a chest of drawers in the next bedroom. Typical behaviour in that she blames others for (at first) stealing then (when found) moving it, can't just leave it until I get up naturally but must have it seen to straightaway, demands that I put it on for her before I have even got dressed and has no real idea of the time of day. A person with dementia really can come across as self-centred without knowing it. Familiar to many who deal with dementia on a daily basis I dare say.

Indeed, we go through this every day, with all sorts of items, lost goes to stolen goes to found, some searches take me longer than others, though it has now started with the weekly pension being binned sometimes and the answer of ' so what? '