Thoughts on a noticeboard ...?

Toony Oony

Jun 21, 2016
Mum is currently on respite care that will be morphed into a permanent arrangement next week, in the same large and beautifully decorated room.
DD and I are just thinking of what bits to bring from Mum's home to make it a bit cosier and more familiar. It won't be a lot, as Mum's confusion seems to be better with minimal choices. Just enough to make it seem hers.
Mum does receive quite a lot of PC's,letters and cards which she displays and then refuses to take down. Previously I bought her a pretty box to put them in, but to no avail. I can see this becoming an issue as there will not be so much shelf space. DD suggested a cord and pegs to hang them, but Mum has a love of tissues and kitchen roll that she will festoon like bunting if she gets the chance, so that is not an option. We discussed a pin board/ notice board. I dont think Mum would have the manual dexterity to pin onto a board and the pins are obviously not something I want in her room. We are contemplating a magnetic board with large draught style magnets.
Any experience, or any ideas?

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
I have a Christmas card display from a few years ago which hangs in a long strip and you pin the cards on with tiny silver clothes pegs. Harmless. Probably available in any of the card shops. She could rearrange them to her hearts content without doing any mischief.

mancmum

Feb 6, 2012
Transparent slot holder

I have a large transparent thing, almost the size of the door which is pinned on it at the top with drawing pins. You can slot photos and post cards into it and you can lift it up and see the back if you really wanted to.

I think I got it from an online auction site but think it was billed as photographic display rather than card display.

Things can be looked at easily but its harder to fiddle with them.

snorkmaiden

Mar 8, 2014
Surrey
How about a felt notice board? You can buy self adhesive Velcro dots to stick on stuff to stick to it. Almost like the old Fuzzy Felt of my childhood :) x

Toony Oony

Jun 21, 2016
Brilliant! Thank you for the great ideas - I'm sure I will be able to incorporate elements of them all to make Mum a display area.

Ooooh Snorkmaiden, how I loved my fuzzy felt! I made a huge fuss until I got the Flower Shop, which was my favourite closely followed by the Circus.

Linbrusco

Mar 4, 2013
Auckland...... New Zealand
Anything is worth a try :) and if it doesnt work out, you try something else.

My Mum loves cards also. From Christmas through to March Mum had tinsel strung between two hooks, and we popped all her cards & then birthday cards over the tinsel.
She loved looking at them, and rearranging them, until dreaded UTI's surfaced and she pulled the tinsel down. The cards ended up everywhere.
Hidden under her pillow, under her bed, wrapped in a pillow case, in her drawer, folded up in her pockets, and then half of them lost.

Mum has however kept 3 photos, which are pinned to her cork noticeboard throughout. Not sure what it is, that she doesnt touch them?
My daughter and I have made her two wall hangings with paper flowers and lace.
Mum thinks they are lovely, and touchwood after two weeks are still on her wall :)

I like your idea Snorkmaiden :)

arielsmelody

Jul 16, 2015
I would be quite careful about magnets - there have been cases when children have swallowed toy magnets and if two stick together in the bowel it is very serious. Perhaps the kind of magnets that are a flat picture with a magnetic sheet backing would be safer? Or blutack? The other idea of a hanging display with plastic pockets sounds good.