To sleep or not ?

PC128

Nov 5, 2014
Hi....it's some time since I've been on the talk forum...so just feeling my way around here. I seem to cope with most things, my husband coming up to 9 yrs since being diagnosed...so I've experienced lots of "symptoms". The latest is that my husband is quite wakeful in the night.....but finds it very easy to catch up on sleep in the day time, now if he was my 2 yr old I'd be out the park & playing games etc etc....but I'm 70 & he's 78 & no longer interested in playing dominoes / colouring etc.....but will watch TV, but that then sends him to sleep.....id love to hear how anyone else gets around this "problem".......? All the best C

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
When my husband was at the stage of just sleeping for about 1 1/2 to 2 hours at a time, through the day and night, I just napped when he did during the day. Especially in the afternoon, I'd settle us in armchairs side by side, making sure mine was in front of the door so he couldn't sneak out, and we'd snooze away! As long as I was there beside him, he was ok.

awebdill

Jun 20, 2017
I am quite interested to hear any thoughts on this too as my grandmother spends pretty much all day asleep and the nursing home say she is up a lot of the night. They think she is now is a vicious cycle where she sleeps all day because she is awake all night! The home said they are going to try and give her something to help her sleep at night, some sort of sedative, but I am not sure if that is the answer.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
I am quite interested to hear any thoughts on this too as my grandmother spends pretty much all day asleep and the nursing home say she is up a lot of the night. They think she is now is a vicious cycle where she sleeps all day because she is awake all night! The home said they are going to try and give her something to help her sleep at night, some sort of sedative, but I am not sure if that is the answer.

Have they tried doing something to stimulate her during the day? Chatting to her, some sort of activities? Taking her out to the garden?

PC128

Nov 5, 2014
To sleep,or not

Have they tried doing something to stimulate her during the day? Chatting to her, some sort of activities? Taking her out to the garden?

Well we keep really busy, all day most days & then my husband falls asleep about 8pm , I try to keep him awake...ie shouting !! Watching TV & talking about it.... Then I feel it's better him going to bed later...I've tried all ways ...but nothing helps.... I am hoping the memory clinic nurse has some helpful solution....on Thursday... I want to avoid the sedative route if poss.....

awebdill

Jun 20, 2017

They (and I) have tried to keep her awake in the day time but she is so sound asleep she cannot be roused...even with loud talking in her ear, lightly pinching her ear etc. She is in such a deep sleep and just cannot come out of it. The home are calling the GP today as she has been in this state since last Thursday. They said it's not a urine infection and not her meds so they do think it is just the fact that she is 92 and not getting any sleep at night but we will see what the doctor thinks.

I hope your husband gets some answers at the memory clinic! x

PC128

Nov 5, 2014
They (and I) have tried to keep her awake in the day time but she is so sound asleep she cannot be roused...even with loud talking in her ear, lightly pinching her ear etc. She is in such a deep sleep and just cannot come out of it. The home are calling the GP today as she has been in this state since last Thursday. They said it's not a urine infection and not her meds so they do think it is just the fact that she is 92 and not getting any sleep at night but we will see what the doctor thinks.

I hope your husband gets some answers at the memory clinic! x

Hi...such a problem.....hope your gran gets sorted...but at 92 bless her....
We have an alzheimers cafe this aft & I foresee my husband sleeping through that !!!
Happy days hey !! All the best....